New 4Runner, Amsoil or Toyota Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner and want to change my oil early to get rid of any break in material that may be in the oil. I understand that Toyota specs their oil and Mobil makes it and that it has a high ppm of moly in it. I’m wondering if there would be any advantage to using something like amsoil rather than the Toyota oil. I would be doing 5k mile changes.

What would you recommend?

I run Amsoil 0w-30 in my `18 T4R with TRD filter. I don't drive many miles, but have always felt that it was a solid product.

In my experience, both Toyota's 4.0 6 cyl and 5.7 8 cyl are very easy on oil and are extremely robust engines.

Like already stated, you can run any proper weight API oil in them and it won't make any difference as long as you follow good OCI's. I have used both of those high end oils you mention and those engines didn't perform any differently than when I ran Mobil 1, Valvoline or ST. I personally would not / do not spend the extra $$ on them as there is really no reason to in this application. It certainly won't hurt anything but your wallet if you do though.

I bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner and want to change my oil early to get rid of any break in material that may be in the oil. I understand that Toyota specs their oil and Mobil makes it and that it has a high ppm of moly in it. I’m wondering if there would be any advantage to using something like amsoil rather than the Toyota oil. I would be doing 5k mile changes.

What would you recommend?
First you have a OIL FILTER. Let it do its job for 1500 -2000 miles the change - this is NOT a snow blower or lawn mower with no filter.

I would run either Valvoline Advanced or Castrol Edge with a 1/2 quart of Magnatec 5W20 or 5W30.

NO need or want for artery clogging, overtly moly laden oils. Its like butter on a baked potato.
a couple pats are just right with a dash of S&P , but the whole stick is a bit much :)

You can spit into the fill hole on these (I own one) and most likely it will be fine. ;)

Mine uses zero drops of oil over 7k runs, and the oil is still translucent when I drain it.

Save your money, and get Wal-Mart to ship you a 6-quart box of Havoline 0w20. Get your favorite quart of whatever to add another 1/2 quart and call it a day for $25. Filter is an additional $5.

Good idea to change oil soon on these new engines. I saw the most amount of aluminum debris, in my 40 years of changing oil, in my ‘21 4 runner on first oil change. Was gone by the second oil change. I am very careful about using a clean catch pan each time too, so I am certain it was not outside contamination.

Last edited:
The guaranteed formula for reaching 300K miles in your rig is "On Sale" brand 0w20 synthetic and a new filter changed when the OLM says 10%. (And don't drive it in salt.)

In case you were wondering about the 10%, it's tossing a bone to the OCD. :)

here is my pic

Attachments

• 41F34BA6-33E2-4BBB-AD98-47614F3C0891.jpeg
    41F34BA6-33E2-4BBB-AD98-47614F3C0891.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 121
Don't you get 2 years of free Toyotacare maintenance?

But at any rate with 5k ocis even if city it doesn't really matter. If i had to change oil that early in an NA engine id buy the cheapest jug which would be chevron supreme syn blend, QS syn blend, and maybe spend a bit extra on supertech syn and id probably go a grade up as well. i use PP and vds/LL rated oils for longer intervals and 10k is what i do.

Actually have a friend whos a lexus tech and i asked how much trouble would one get in if they used a grade thicker oil under warranty and he said virtually none and they basically never do an oil analysis. They just check to see if it was sludged out and the maintenance record if applicable.

Also its a Toyota engine that's been in a long production run. I doubt it'll have engine issues under warranty and if it did oil obviously wasn't the problem with 5k intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back