New 3 2.5T

Let me preface this by saying in "normal times" this would have never happened. These are not normal times. Historically I have kept my cars for a good 5 years or so. Due to the area I live in, which is among the most densely populated areas in the country, with little area to off-road in (Pine Barrens are meh), soaring gas prices, and the truck 99% of the time being used on pavement to run basic errands, I decided I can't justify having the off-road beast. A small part of it was also that I watched too many TFL videos where these guys take their trucks to awesome off-road areas in the beautiful western part of the U.S. I was able to flip it due to the crazy market and fact that I know the finance manager where I bought the truck.

So I settled on 3 Turbo Premium Plus. Paid a bit over $33k, which honestly is worth it. The interior of this car is incredible for the price, arguably on par with higher end luxury brands. It's not super-fast, but deceptively quick with the torque in the lower rpm range, which is where I like it. Love the car, especially in this highly congested area that I live in. I can enjoy this car day to day more than I could with the Bison, which truly shines in off-road settings (although still good on road too).

I'm saving on monthly payments and gas.

Car was winterized with Optimum Hyper-Seal topped with Optimum Car Wax.

*One concern though that caught me off-guard was the recent TSB for all 2021 2.5 Turbo engines due to oil consumption issues from what Mazda thinks are leaking valve stem seals. It's a problem and not a good one. However, mine did not fall within the VIN's impacted by this change. I had assumed the 2.5T was going to be as bulletproof as the NA version and that's not the case as of now. In fact I didn't realize until recently how much had changed to fit the 2.5T into the 3. They had to make some relatively significant changes, which included all new software to make things run as well as re-wiring a lot of the electronics.

IMG_4137 (2).jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg
IMG_4210.PNG

Last edited:
Can you compare the ride and cornering feel to another car? I've never driven or ridden in a Mazda, I always wondered why people bought them (not a dig).

Can you compare the ride and cornering feel to another car? I've never driven or ridden in a Mazda, I always wondered why people bought them (not a dig).
I can only really compare it to previous Mazdas that I have had in the past. This one is tighter around corners with substantially more power (250hp/320tq on premium).

I'd call it a luxury hatch, that's not "technically" within the luxury brand realm.

These guys do what I feel is a solid review of it.

I had a 2015 3 hatchback with the 2.5 and loved it. I was considering the new 3 turbo hatchback. But the exterior styling just seems weird to me. No real character lines down the sides and the front is lacking something (anything) in the lower corners. Plus I decided I am through with cars and went with a crossover for more height. Best of luck with your new car. Mazda makes good ones

Don

It's Polymetal Gray, something I normally wouldn't consider, but I've had my fair share of normal/standard colors. Thought I'd change it up this time. I like the color a lot. It grew on me. At first I didn't care for it. It's definitley different. Mazda has a nice red too.

Last edited:
In general. their cars usually are among the best cars in each class for people who like "sporty" driving. Sort of a fwd japanese BMW but without the M sport engines available. They atleast think about steering and road feel. They are not often the fastest cars in class around a track, but they feel pretty good on a windy road.
My family has had a few over the years and they have all been pretty reliable and fun to drive.

In general. their cars usually are among the best cars in each class for people who like "sporty" driving. Sort of a fwd japanese BMW but without the M sport engines available. They atleast think about steering and road feel. They are not often the fastest cars in class around a track, but they feel pretty good on a windy road.
My family has had a few over the years and they have all been pretty reliable and fun to drive.
Always wanted to drive a Miata. Maybe I'll get one someday

Let me preface this by saying in "normal times" this would have never happened. These are not normal times. Historically I have kept my cars for a good 5 years or so. Due to the area I live in, which is among the most densely populated areas in the country, with little area to off-road in (Pine Barrens are meh), soaring gas prices, and the truck 99% of the time being used on pavement to run basic errands, I decided I can't justify having the off-road beast. A small part of it was also that I watched too many TFL videos where these guys take their trucks to awesome off-road areas in the beautiful western part of the U.S. I was able to flip it due to the crazy market and fact that I know the finance manager where I bought the truck.

So I settled on 3 Turbo Premium Plus. Paid a bit over $33k, which honestly is worth it. The interior of this car is incredible for the price, arguably on par with higher end luxury brands. It's not super-fast, but deceptively quick with the torque in the lower rpm range, which is where I like it. Love the car, especially in this highly congested area that I live in. I can enjoy this car day to day more than I could with the Bison, which truly shines in off-road settings (although still good on road too).

I'm saving on monthly payments and gas.

Car was winterized with Optimum Hyper-Seal topped with Optimum Car Wax.

*One concern though that caught me off-guard was the recent TSB for all 2021 2.5 Turbo engines due to oil consumption issues from what Mazda thinks are leaking valve stem seals. It's a problem and not a good one. However, mine did not fall within the VIN's impacted by this change. I had assumed the 2.5T was going to be as bulletproof as the NA version and that's not the case as of now. In fact I didn't realize until recently how much had changed to fit the 2.5T into the 3. They had to make some relatively significant changes, which included all new software to make things run as well as re-wiring a lot of the electronics.

View attachment 79595

View attachment 79596
View attachment 79598View attachment 79599
It will just love to have Redline Performance, 5w-30 Euro in it. 😆 😁

lol that's a very hefty oil I must say. I don't think I've ever seen a UOA of the RL Euro 5w30.

I test drove a 2021 CX-30 with that engine.. Loved it and hated it..
Engine was a nice +
Transmission being 6speed was nice and not always shifting.
radar cruise control was almost amazing.

the non touch entertainment system was bizarre like using an old palm pilot.. and laggy.
The premium cx-30 only interior colors were burgundy with taupe?(off white) looked ok but not what I wanted.
Slighty smaller than I wanted in back.

Wife hated it. Which was more surprising. I could have possibly adjusted to the controls.

I like mazdas though my ownership is limited to a 97 Miata. I do think they pay high attention to handling dynamics and build quality. I’ve had time with my 97 and a friends rx-7, and the dna between them was obvious. I spent a weekend 2 weeks ago in one of their suvs in Nashville traffic and found it to be extremely well-sorted with rapid changes in throttle between shifts and it never missed a beat. Interior materials were above average for the class. If my wife wanted one, I would encourage it. My Miata was every bit as reliable as a honda or Toyota, had exceptional road feel and was well-designed for maintenance and wrenching.

I had a 2019 CX5 with the same drivetrain. Punchy from a roll, lazy from a dig, no boost in lower gears during cold weather, but surprisingly good mpg, notably beating EPA estimates. I'm sad to see Mazda having engine trouble.

Back