New 2500 6.4L Hemi - Was hoping for better...

I was anxiously awaiting the new 8 speed transmission for the 6.4L Hemi. I was also hoping that they would adjust some parameters in the ECU to pull the hills better. Seems like Ram really missed the mark. I guess I'll keep waiting to go back to the Ram.

Yep, I’m not a Ram fan but I wouldn’t use a single You Tube video to trash the truck.
Not going to watch the video because I’m working with a guy who went from towing the same load in the same hills (going state to state) with that Ram to a GMC DMax and says it’s no comparison …
This guy is not brand partial … in the time I have known him he’s owned many brands …
Regardless of Ford, GM, or Ram … diesel remains king of towing …

Regardless, I was still hoping for more from Ram. I had a 2017 2500 6.4L and it really needed more in the CO mountains where I primarily tow. My results were pretty darn close to the TFL runs regardless of what people think of their videos. Fast forward a few years and I was excited to see what the 8 speed would bring. I'm curious to see how the 8 speed holds up. It has to better then the 66RFE.

towing up hills at elevation? so buy the cummins?
Is this not like saying my f350 with the 5.4L struggled? bought the wrong engine for the job.
The guy in the video says its faster than the chevy with gasser?

so fake news?

Reactions: JTK
Why even compare a 6.4 gas engine with a turbo diesel. The diesel is going to tow better every time.

All the hotshot 5th wheel camper people I know have phased out their Chevy 6.0L gas trucks for duramax, cummins or Ford because the gas engine/trans combos were too 'lacking' for them.

Absolutely. If I was much closer to sea level I would not be worried about it. I even had a 2018 F350 6.2L gasser with the lower 4.30 gears and wasn’t happy. Although it pulled MUCH better up I-70, the screaming 5k drove me nuts. My current 2019 powerstroke has me grinning from ear to ear when towing the mountains but hate the modern emissions equipment on these trucks. I keep hoping gas technologies continue to close the gap but it’s just not here yet.

Not going to watch the video because I’m working with a guy who went from towing the same load in the same hills (going state to state) with that Ram to a GMC DMax and says it’s no comparison …
This guy is not brand partial … in the time I have known him he’s owned many brands …
Regardless of Ford, GM, or Ram … diesel remains king of towing …

No, but after dropping a pile of cash, he NEEDS to believe that.

Diesel jumped the shark 14 years ago.

Why even compare a 6.4 gas engine with a turbo diesel. The diesel is going to tow better every time.

All the hotshot 5th wheel camper people I know have phased out their Chevy 6.0L gas trucks for duramax, cummins or Ford because the gas engine/trans combos were too 'lacking' for them.
I just don't really see the point unless these are HUGE 5th wheels. I mean, they probably get to their campsite 10 minutes sooner?

I just don't really see the point unless these are HUGE 5th wheels. I mean, they probably get to their campsite 10 minutes sooner?
They need to crutch their overblown egos.

That's exactly what it is. First guy to the top of the hill wins. They do 84 month loans on them with payments so high they won't say what they are.

They never use manual mode during these tests. That makes them more “fair” I guess, but really emphasizes transmission programming over the rest of the truck.

No, but after dropping a pile of cash, he NEEDS to believe that.

Diesel jumped the shark 14 years ago.
You would not know that … he’s a mechanical engineer flush with cash from investing and family money waiting …

It really depends on how heavy you are towing. I tow all over the mountains on the West Coast with my 6.0. But loaded gross weight I am just under or right at 16,000lbs.

If you are towing at max weight on the Ike everyday at 11,000 feet you are going to get a diesel. If you are not and under 10,000 you probably don't need it.

The New Chevy 6.6 looked promising until GM put the 6 speed and 3.73s behind it. Towing with similar weights my 2017 6.0 6 speed with 4.10s posted similar times. The 6.6 needs at least an 8 speed and 4.10 gears.

Not knocking the GM 6.6 or Ram 6.4 , but the Ford 7.3 destroys them currently when it comes to Gas HD rigs as far as towing.

It really depends on how heavy you are towing. I tow all over the mountains on the West Coast with my 6.0. But loaded gross weight I am just under or right at 16,000lbs.

If you are towing at max weight on the Ike everyday at 11,000 feet you are going to get a diesel. If you are not and under 10,000 you probably don't need it.

The New Chevy 6.6 looked promising until GM put the 6 speed and 3.73s behind it. Towing with similar weights my 2017 6.0 6 speed with 4.10s posted similar times. The 6.6 needs at least an 8 speed and 4.10 gears.

Ford puts the V10 in 26,000lb motorhomes and 33,000lb trucks. The only trailer that actually "needs" a diesel is something beyond the capacity of even an F-550.

Ford puts the V10 in 26,000lb motorhomes and 33,000lb trucks. The only trailer that actually "needs" a diesel is something beyond the capacity of even an F-550.
Yeah they do but these rigs are competing for the slow lane with the big rigs going up I-70. You wanna tow heavy loads and maintain freeway speeds at altitude nothing beats a modern turbo diesel. 90% of the consumers don't actually need them though. status symbol, compensation....whatever.

Yeah they do but these rigs are competing for the slow lane with the big rigs going up I-70. You wanna tow heavy loads and maintain freeway speeds at altitude nothing beats a modern turbo diesel. 90% of the consumers don't actually need them though. status symbol, compensation....whatever.

More like 99.99% don't need them. Note that the V10s have MORE power than the diesels in most medium duty trucks.

Back