New 2019 Toyota Highlander first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done sever service oil changes. I just run 5k oci you are driving more than 10 k a year, I simply drain the oil sump and refill.i don't change the filter on the intermediate oil change, I let the dealership do that for the first two dealer oil changes at 10-20 k miles.
Now that those changes are used I will continue to do the same. Changing the filter every 10 k and the oil every 5k.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
If the Toyota manual calls for 10K OCI, then go with 10K OCI using a fine Toyota full synthetic or other top-tier full synthetic. People who cut it down their OCI to 5K either have unwarranted fear or they think know better than all the Toyota engineers.

Keep believing that.

Originally Posted by thooks
Originally Posted by camryrolla
If the Toyota manual calls for 10K OCI, then go with 10K OCI using a fine Toyota full synthetic or other top-tier full synthetic. People who cut it down their OCI to 5K either have unwarranted fear or they think know better than all the Toyota engineers.
Keep believing that.
camryrolla is basically right. Toyota does know something. Kind of bothers me they don't have real higher certifications for their house-brand oil, similar to what GM and the Germans routinely require.

If afraid of 10k OCI's, then use a better oil than SN TGMO 0w-20 to make sure you make it to the end without excessive deposits. Use Mercedes 229.71 or VW 508 or LL-14FE+ 0w-20 oils, proven by certs with lots of engine tests.

Another method to get 10k OCI's is to change only the oil filter at 5k intervals, refilling the new filter (if its not a cartridge!) or topping off with fresh oil for a boost, and change the whole thing out at 10k like Toyota says. Assumes the filter is EZ to get off and on.

On my HL it was on factory fill for 3K and then PP 5w30 (7.5K OCI) throughout - it has ~200K on the odometer.
Great vehicle and enjoy the ride - good investment choice!!

Last edited:
Changing a filter at 5k miles doesn't get condensation build-up out of the crankcase. Changing the oil does.

I'm sorry that so many people believe that a car manufacturer is telling them the best way to maintain their vehicle is by following the manufacturer's recommendations. Manufacturers are in the business to sell cars. Yes, I feel that Toyota is THE best consumer vehicle maker out there. Are they prescribing the BEST treatment? No, not in my opinion. (We are still allowed to have opinions in the US)

This total cost of ownership Bee Ess is driving these 10k mile OCIs. And again....that is OPTIMAL driving conditions. 90%+ of Americans don't meet that criteria, so it's really 5k mile OCIs.

Does the oil last 10k miles? Certainly. I was getting unbelievable UOA with Mobil 1 5w20 in a Honda 3.5L at 190k miles. I went 13k miles, the lab said go to 15k miles and re-test.

If you believe the manufacturers are telling you best, I assume you think there's a such thing as lifetime transmission and power steering fluid...

I run 8-10K OCIs on my Highlander. No issues so far.

I've run 7500 miles OCIs (synth only) on my Tacoma since new and 17 years/233K miles later everything is still great. 7500 is easy for most Toyota engines.

I drop the factory fill ASAP on new vehicles. I run 7500 mile OCI's with synthetic in my Corolla and Camry V6, and change the filter every time.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I changed the oil on my Tundra at 2,500 (one year, done by Toyota).

Then every 5,000 (flex fuel, specified interval).

It uses zero oil between changes.

Go ahead and change it early.

You don't have to follow the flex-fuel OCI/service requirements if you don't use E85. I have no idea why anyone on Earth would use it, unless it was free.....

With that said, if you are using and NOT meeting the "normal" operating conditions, 5,000 mile intervals are twice the supposed intervals. Oil Changes with the 5.7L using E85 under ANY use of severe service is 2500 miles.

For my usage, which includes a moderate amount of E85, short trips, but no towing, and running a good oil (5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum) 5,000 miles is very conservative. I could easily go farther.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...nzoil-ultra-platinum-5w30-5742-mi-tundra

Senoia eh, is the track dirt or asphalt these days?

There is nothing wrong with your plan, well except certain factions may go on a tirade about "waste"... but such as the nature of this place.

I also think there is nothing wrong with following Toyotas recommendation, I would be shocked it there was a significant difference in the outcome over 300,000 thousand miles, assuming use of quality oils.

In other words, do what makes you happy.

I normally change the factory fill between 3000-5000 miles. I do two changes in the first 10,000 miles then the 10,000 mile interval from there. My 5.7 ltr Tundra uses about a quart in 10,000 miles. The Tacomas use less than 1/3 quart in 10,000 miles. My $200 dollar Camry is too new to calculate at this time.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Senoia eh, is the track dirt or asphalt these days?

Dirt. "Gumbo" grey clay. One of the best dirt tracks in the country. Been said by nearly every single top 20 driver in dirt late model racing today. They've been there at least once in the last 3 years. Great side-by-side racing.

Interesting post. We have a 2018 Highlander. I dumped the factory fill around 2,000 miles, and ran that new fill on up to the 5,000 mile car mark, making the 2nd run about 3,000 miles. No issues. Have been using Amsoil XL0w20, with Amsoil filters. Since then, I've gone 5,000 miles on the same mentioned oil/filter setup ... no issues, and no consumption. I'm going to stick to the 5,000 mile interval, I think.

I'll note ... when you use the owners manual factory specified fill capacity of oil ... it still registers low on the dipstick. Ours takes 6.1qts to bring it exactly to the "full" mark on the dipstick. Do you note the same on your 2019?

One other thought to leave you with ... I changed the rear differential fluid out at 10,000 miles ... and was horrified at how black it was, and how much "fuzzy" material was on the magnet! It only holds about a quart & is an easy job ... I'd suggest you look at yours as well.

Am interested in your input here.... thanks.

Well I dropped it today, scalding hot at 1569 miles.

One of the easiest oil changes I've ever done. Knowing I needed a 14mm socket, pick, Toyota filter adapter and 6" extension helped.

Refilled with Mobil 1 and a Toyota OEM filter. I'll drop it again at 5k and run 5k oil changes from then.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I drop the factory fill ASAP on new vehicles. I run 7500 mile OCI's with synthetic in my Corolla and Camry V6, and change the filter every time.

That's really unnecessary. No reason to change for at least 5k on the factory fill, it's good quality oil. Although there is no proof of it, many times manufacturers will use a high moly fill during the break in and you really don't want to replace it with one that isn't. I suppose as long as the replacement is high in moly it's just fine though.

Originally Posted by HangFire

That's really unnecessary. No reason to change for at least 5k on the factory fill, it's good quality oil. Although there is no proof of it, many times manufacturers will use a high moly fill during the break in and you really don't want to replace it with one that isn't. I suppose as long as the replacement is high in moly it's just fine though.

Originally Posted by Market525

I'll note ... when you use the owners manual factory specified fill capacity of oil ... it still registers low on the dipstick. Ours takes 6.1qts to bring it exactly to the "full" mark on the dipstick. Do you note the same on your 2019?

One other thought to leave you with ... I changed the rear differential fluid out at 10,000 miles ... and was horrified at how black it was, and how much "fuzzy" material was on the magnet! It only holds about a quart & is an easy job ... I'd suggest you look at yours as well.

Am interested in your input here.... thanks.

Market....

1. I put about 6 quarts in it when I refilled it. I didn't check it after the 1 mile test drive because I didn't park it on the flat of the driveway. The apron up into the garage is sloped, I parked close to the shop, I mean garage, because I wanted to check the air pressure and fill the tires if needed.

2. Ours is FWD only, no rear diff.

I'll report back about the oil level later after I check it on level ground.

I checked the oil level yesterday. About 90% full. I put about 6 quarts in it. Didn't measure in tenths or nothin. I poured a 5 qt jug in and let it drain 3-4 minutes. I keep a 1 qt bottle around to use for top off. I filled it up and poured it in.

I did have the car up on ramps when draining and I let it drain ~30 minutes while I did a laundry list of other chores.

Changing a filter at 5k miles doesn't get condensation build-up out of the crankcase. Changing the oil does...

There is no "condensation buildup". You're in warm GA, and trips are at least 5 miles. Blowby will be minimal on a new vehicle of that type, and all water evaps through the PCV valve, what little there is, while you drive as the engine warms up. Someone who takes 2 mile trips in cold weather might legitimately complain about excessive H20 getting into the sump. Not applicable in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back