New 2013 Ford F-150 with 5.0L V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need your help. My bride and I are finally to the point we can go camping again which has been a passion of ours. I currently have the Jeep in my sig that I've had for three years and purchased it for a certain personal reason, not because I needed it. I still enjoy the Jeep and it's fun to drive but I'm thinking of getting a truck with a tow package that will help in hauling the camper/trailer we will be buying in the near future. Sans the Jeep in my sig, we usually keep vehicles for 12 to 15 years, assuming there's nothing wrong with them.

My question: Does anyone have input on the Ford F150 with the 5.0L V-8. Is it a reliable engine? Any major problems with it, i.e. recalls, poor engine design, etc... or just bad personal experience? I'm looking at a new 2013 that's still available at a local dealership exactly like I would design one, especially the tow package. Hoping that if I decide to change vehicles, they'd be motivated to move this truck at a good price.

Lastly, has anyone bought a new, one year old vehicle from a dealership (brand new, just a year older than current year)? Any opinions on what to expect from a price stand point off of the original sticker?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have bought year old new vehicles off a dealer before.

As an example bought a new 2004 Ford Ranger Supercab off a dealer in March 2005. Truck stickered at 23K, bought for 13.8K. My advice for you would be to do your homework on Edmunds and find out what incentives are available on the car: customer/dealer/Ford finance, etc. and aim to get all of those. I got everything, discount financing, and a bedliner thrown in as well. They flat out wanted to move it. Get a KBB value of the same truck used. That should be your max in regard to price target.

Good luck. The more prepared you are, the better you will do.

The 5.0L is an excellent engine and has a deep rooted history in the Modular series. It is reliable and should live just as long as its well known brethren the 4.6L and 5.4L.

We have one at work and a friend of mine and his dad have one each. They've had zero issues with the powertrains in the trucks.

As it is a keeper, I would go the 5.0L as you have said. Good engine and good truck platform.
Shop around as the 2015 "aluminum" F150 has been announced which will drive down current model trucks. $10 - $15K off sticker for new would be my expectation.

I purchased a 2013 F150 5.0L 4x4 last year. I have had two well known 09-14 F150 issues. The first was a rear exterior cabin lamp with a leaky seal, replaced under warranty. The second issue was my rear driveshaft slip yoke binding as it adjusted in and out of the transfer case, causing a clunk at acceleration. The dealer greased the slip yoke and the clunk has since disappeared.

I dislike the electric power steering. I much prefer the responsiveness and feel of the older style hydraulic power steering in my '08 model F150. I also dislike the poor adjustability of the steering wheel in my '13 model. The wheel just moves straight up and down and the camber is not adjustable. Having a little extra camber on a steering wheel is more comfortable for me, and definitely more comfortable when backing up a trailer.

The six speed select shift transmission is great, especially for hauling. There is a rather large gear ratio difference between 1st and 2nd so the first shift is a bit sluggish. Don't take this as a complaint, it's a truck after all and a lower first gear ratio is always better for trucks that work.

I really do love this 5.0L V8 engine. I'm a fan of tradition, and I like that Ford re introduced a classic displacement. As far as I know all 5.0L engine models are produced in Windsor Ontario and being a Canuck I'm proud of that. The VCT phaser problems of the earlier modulars is supposed to have been corrected with a new phaser design in the 5.0L, but than again only time will tell. Just like the 4.6L and 5.4L VCT modulars, the EGR function is controlled through the VCT so there is no troublesome EGR plumbing. Oil squirters also cool the pistons and it has an external oil cooler. What's not to love.

If you purchase a base model F150 like an XL or STX it will probably have tiny 235/75R17 Hankook tires on it. I resized both my trucks to a larger, more appropriate 265/70R17. I really do enjoy my '13 F150 and I think the regular cabs look very retro, almost like the F150 of the late 70's early 80's. It's not without its flaws, and I'm sure as it gets older many more flaws will show. In two months it will be a year old and If I went back in time I would re-order the exact same truck, I'm happy overall.

I own a 2012 5.0L ex-cab 4x4. It has been very reliable and a great truck overall. I had a '03 F150 5.4L FX and it's night and day towing. Smooth with good power. I tow my small camper and my Jeep, which weighs about 6500-7000 lbs on the trailer.
Personally, I think the factory power numbers are shy to make the ecoboost look good.

My only complaint are the factory Goodyear tires and it's not a physical issue. The ride is smooth on the street - I just need something more aggressive for where I tow and getting firewood.

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Need your help. My bride and I are finally to the point we can go camping again which has been a passion of ours. I currently have the Jeep in my sig that I've had for three years and purchased it for a certain personal reason, not because I needed it. I still enjoy the Jeep and it's fun to drive but I'm thinking of getting a truck with a tow package that will help in hauling the camper/trailer we will be buying in the near future. Sans the Jeep in my sig, we usually keep vehicles for 12 to 15 years, assuming there's nothing wrong with them.

My question: Does anyone have input on the Ford F150 with the 5.0L V-8. Is it a reliable engine? Any major problems with it, i.e. recalls, poor engine design, etc... or just bad personal experience? I'm looking at a new 2013 that's still available at a local dealership exactly like I would design one, especially the tow package. Hoping that if I decide to change vehicles, they'd be motivated to move this truck at a good price.

Lastly, has anyone bought a new, one year old vehicle from a dealership (brand new, just a year older than current year)? Any opinions on what to expect from a price stand point off of the original sticker?

Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Years ago, my Dad bought a year old vehicle, new, from a dealer. He paid 9k on a 13k sticker. Two months ago I purchased a 2013 with the 5.0. At the time it had just over 12k on the clock. It was precisely what I would have ordered from the factory (HD payload package, SCrew, 6 1/2' bed, 4wd, XLT) and compared to new I saved about $16k. I bought from CARMAX, who are known to charge a little more for their used vehicles, so YMMV.

With a '13 still on the lot in April of '14, you should get a whale of a deal...

As mentioned earlier there are a few issues here and there with the F150, but I have not experienced any of them to date. The 5.0 is a very reliable engine from what I've read online, here and at other forums, with very few returns to the dealer, unlike the Ecoboost.

As mentioned and this backs up my experience, the transmission is top notch. 1st gear IS very short, but towing a trailer that will be a benefit.

Can't say how much I appreciate the input. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Well, I just sent the first shot over the bow and I'm waiting to see what they come back with. I haven't had a chance to see this specific truck but I did look and test drive a similar vehicle closer to home (this dealer wasn't real happy I left without buying something). The place I'm currently negotiating with is about 70 miles away, only because they have an older, new vehicle equipped exactly like I'm looking for. Side note: I wasn't aware of "electric power steering". Can anybody expound on this? Thanks again to all.

The difference is the older power steering systems used a belt driven hydraulic pump to pass fluid through a hydraulic power steering rack. The newer model trucks have an electric motor built into the steering rack to provide the steering assist.

Wait for the 2015 to come out. You can get a better 2015 truck, or a bigger discount on a 2014 leftover. 5.0L V8 is nice, and my first choice of F150 engines. Although the 3.7 V6 in an aluminum 2015 truck could be just right, who knows.

For a 2013 leftover today i would want at least 12k off MSRP. As soon as the aluminum trucks hit the showroom you will have 10-15k off a loaded 2014 F150 easy.

Is the new electronic steering better?

It is not really better as much as different. Electric power steering was put in to help with fuel economy. The older style hydraulic pump system put a drag on the engine which robbed power and a little bit of fuel efficiency. Also you wont ever have to worry about leaky hydraulic hoses or pumps. One less fluid to discover on your garage floor.

To keep this thread going; I'm currently waiting on responses back from several Ford dealers.

Now a new question. I dropped the bride of at a local mall to do some shopping and I decided to peruse some local dealerships. I happened upon a local Dodge dealership that had some Ram 1500 Quad/Crew cabs red tagged with some really good pricing. Now the odds of getting any of those vehicles at those prices would probably be slim to none. None the less, since I have no experience with the 5.7L Hemi, which all were equipped with, what opinions or observations/reservations would you be willing to share? All trucks were brand new. At first glance I thought the gas mileage would be bad but it mirrors the F-150s I've looked at. As always, your input is invaluable and appreciated.

The new Ram trucks are quite nice as well. Again i suggest waiting for the 2015 F150 debut. This will put pressure on Ram and Chevy to discount their trucks since Ford will be the only one with the much lighter aluminum truck.

The more you can wait and haggle the more you will save on a full size truck. There is just tons of wiggle room in the pricing.

Originally Posted By: dareo
The new Ram trucks are quite nice as well. Again i suggest waiting for the 2015 F150 debut. This will put pressure on Ram and Chevy to discount their trucks since Ford will be the only one with the much lighter aluminum truck.

The more you can wait and haggle the more you will save on a full size truck. There is just tons of wiggle room in the pricing.

This could be a viable option. If in the case of GM if GM can lower the invoice of their trucks.

If you research what current GM trucks are selling at because of all the current offers from GM in a attempt to regain market share. GM trucks are selling around 80 dollars over invoice. Ram is very heavily discounted also along with Ford. If you have the funds it is very much a buyers market right now.

I've tried to make sense of the rebates and incentives these past few days. To be honest, I don't know what they are. Every Ford dealership I've contacted has had different incentives and rebates that has muddied up comparison shopping, which is probably their intent. I went to the Ford site and they list o% financing with $1250 trade assist or "up to $8k off" on a 2014 Supercab, which is what I'd be interested in. How in the world do you get clarification on "up to 8k off"? I certainly wouldn't expect a dealership to help me out there and feel confident I wasn't getting royally screwed in the process. I'm delaying my actual visit to the dealership until I can feel comfortable in the numbers, at least from my perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to make sense of the rebates and incentives these past few days. To be honest, I don't know what they are. Every Ford dealership I've contacted has had different incentives and rebates that has muddied up comparison shopping, which is probably their intent. I went to the Ford site and they list o% financing with $1250 trade assist or "up to $8k off" on a 2014 Supercab, which is what I'd be interested in. How in the world do you get clarification on "up to 8k off"? I certainly wouldn't expect a dealership to help me out there and feel confident I wasn't getting royally screwed in the process. I'm delaying my actual visit to the dealership until I can feel comfortable in the numbers, at least from my perspective.

Good idea to wait until you know what the numbers should be. Somewhere on Fords website, they will have a list of their rebates on each vehicle by trim level. Then you can find all the other rebates from Ford you qualify for. Sometimes there might be 3 or 4 that you could combine. There were 3 on when we bought the Tracker and one sales guy pretended not to know about any of them...
All those come right off of MSRP, so with no negotiation, that's what the truck would cost you, paying them cash.
Each dealer can offer more off though, as their invoice price is less than MSRP and they might be getting more dealer incentives that you won't know about. So you can knock some more off if you can negotiate it.
If you can find 3 or 4 dealers with a truck in stock that you want, let each one of them know that you can get the same truck down the road and hopefully one will offer you a price close to their bottom line. An email for a quote with all 4 sales depts in the To: list might get one to skip the [censored] and go for the sale.
Good luck!

Thanks Indylan. You answered one of my questions. Things have changed a little since my last new vehicle purchase. I've never dealt with incentives. I never financed a vehicle with a dealer and hence I never qualified for their finance rebates. My last few vehicles had no rebates on when I purchased them. I wasn't sure the rebate/incentives, and the nice prices associated with them, were in lieu of negotiating. So should this be my process: determine what what my bottom line price would be without the rebates (as if they didn't exist), and then add the rebates on top of it to come up with a final figure.

A couple of things I recommend you doing. Go to Edmunds.com build a F150 that is the same trim as the and options that you are looking at purchasing. Add your zip code. This will give you the average price of what other buyers are paying for a similarly equipped truck. Email the dealership a offer based on that price. You can offer less. Also why you are on the Edmunds website you can assess your trade in value write it down. I personally would not mention a trade in until you have agreed to a purchase price and your financing option with the dealership. Then negotiate a trade in price with the sales person. All in all if you are not comfortable walk away if the sales person can come to terms with you that you can agree on after walking away good. If not. The purchase was not in the cards.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back