New 2003 Honda CRV oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had asked me a year ago about 5w20 oils, I would have scoffed at the idea, and said not to use it. But every 5w20 UOA posted here has been excellent. In normal driving, under normal conditions, I would try the 5w20. If it will make you feel better, do a UOA.
smile.gif

I read on the Ody Club site that Honda did extensive testing with the 5W-20, including towing in Death Valley, and a tear down of engines showed positive results........

John

According to UOA's on this site Honda's own 5w20 is said to be a well crafted oil with lots of moly. Myself, I use M1 5w30 in the wifey's '03 Accord 4 banger. No complains at all.

I'm new to this site and don't profess to know much about motor oils but I don't understand why all the fuss about the thin oils. Seems to me, with the tighter tolerances in modern engines that the thinnest oil that would stay in the engine would be more efficient, i.e. less friction. Is there any correlation between the thickness of oil and it's lubrication qualities. Doesn't make sense to me since 2-cycle engines run on a very thin oil mixture. It was my impression that the think oils were used when there was the chance that the oil may be lost due to leaks around rings, seals, etc. or just due to loose tolerances due to wear original manufacture. It also seems to me that the thinner oils would penetrate better into the tight tolerances and do a better job of lubrication. Also would flow better at startup where most of the engine wear occurs anyway.

With the sealed engines of today there isn't as much chance of foreign material entering the engine so if filters (air and oil) are changed regularly there should be precious few particles in the engine to cause a wear problem.

I'd appreciate being educated on this.

Mal,

welcome.gif

I think you are correct with regards to tight engines being better suited to thinner oils. I'm just watching the UOAs to decide if these 5w-20s are a good idea. So far I have been surprised at how well the respective vehicles have done. I admit to being skeptical when I heard about the 5w-20 recommendations.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I, too, was skeptical but then I'm an old guy who goes back to the 10-40, 15-50 days. But then I got to thinking that lots of things have changed with engines since the 60's and 70's. Maybe it does make sense!

quote:

Originally posted by Mal:
with the tighter tolerances in modern engines that the thinnest oil that would stay in the engine would be more efficient, i.e. less friction.

Two studies I uncovered says the tolerances are NOT tighter than they were 15 years ago but besides that nothing much at all has changed in these Honda engines recently and why are the SAME engines still recieving the 5w-30 recomendation from Honda overseas?

quote:

Beats me! However, my 2001 Accord has run 5-20 since new with no oil loss and no problems.

My Accord just hit 18,000 and has had M1 0w-30 in it since day one except my last change I used the 0w-40.

I bet in truth it doesn't matter that much. I do appreciate the opinions as my mind is not made up yet.

I might indeed just bite the bullet and fill it up with Mobil-1 0w-20

Yea, it is confusing! When doubt I usually go with maunfacturer's recommendations since they're covering the warranty. I agree, it probably doesn't make much difference.

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:

quote:

with the tighter tolerances in modern engines that the thinnest oil that would stay in the engine would be more efficient, i.e. less friction.

Two studies I uncovered says the tolerances are NOT tighter than they were 15 years ago but besides that nothing much at all has changed in these Honda engines recently and why are the SAME engines still recieving the 5w-30 recomendation from Honda overseas?

Clearance is the amount of gap required in bearings and elsewhere.

Tolerance is the amount of error allowed in the clearance.

No one has documented that bearing clearances have changed over the years. Folks who've looked into repair manuals have shown the same clearances in the same model engines over the years--especially Fords with the same engines in production for several years.

What has changed is that oils are better, plus engines are manufactured better...closer to the specified clearances.

Ken

Okay now that I got my Accord oil figured out I thought I'd put some feelers out there on my other car.

As you guys know the new Honda's recommend the 5W-20 oils. I'm having a hard time with that.

The Mobil-1 0w-20 only has a cSt @ 100º C 8.4

I'm still learning but this seems like to thin a film to me. As the film becomes thiner it's more likly that more dirt particles become closer to the size of the thickness of the film that they become abrasives in the oil.

Since I'd like to do extended drains that could be a factor.

I'm liking the specs on the Mobil-1 10w-30 better. Thicker film and Mobil says it doesn't use ANY of the VI improvers in the 10w-30 so it doesn't shear down.

The CRV would be kept inside the garage so I think the 10w weight should still be okay in the winter.

Also the Mobil-1 30w is on the low side close to the reccommended 20w range anyway. cSt @ 100º C 10.0

To be blunt I don't fully trust Ford and Honda recommending these new thin oils. Nothing has changed in some of these engines either even though they lowered the oil spec. The 5w and 10w30 oils are proven and I feel more comfortable with it.

Honestly I don't care what my owners manuel says and I'm not worried about my warrenty as I believe odds are on my side here.

Opinions appreciated as the verdict is still out here! Thanks guys

I will be purchasing an Odyssey for the wife and child soon.

I will probaly go with the Motorcraft 5w-20 for at least 10,000 miles. After that, I will probaly go with the Mobil 1 5w-30 with some lube control. I agree since the Mobil 1 is on the thin side, the mpg should not be affected drastically.

The Motorcraft 5w-20 has shown some decent UOAs (used oil analysis)and seems to be very shear stable with a good additive package. It is reasonably price at around $2.00 a quart which is good for a Group II+, III oil. I like the narrow spread on it as well. For the record, I do not like dino 5w-30 because the shearing is worse than the 10w-30 grade. I am able to run dino 10w-30 since the temps rarely go below 20 deg F.

My 2 cents. Check out the UOA section for more complete details.

[ January 10, 2004, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: John in the ATL ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back