Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster

This is what started my interest in this CUV:

That's a good one and I like this one too:

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: Lapham3
I've seen a number of the orange ones in Minnesota. My wife will only drive RED cars-she says that's NOT red!

I believe that Subaru calls it Tahitian Red or something like that but I definitely don't want to tell your wife that she is mistaken. I will leave that up to you.
thumbsup2.gif

What would she like the rest of us to call that color?
coffee2.gif

This is just funny. Made me laugh out loud.

Not trying to stir things up, but I gotta say, that is one pretty red. I can see why you were willing to wait so long to take delivery on the special order.

I realize that not everyone likes the light interior, but that is what I have on my Outback, and so far I have been very happy with it. I've never been a fan of black interiors. Too boring for my taste. So we specifically selected the ivory interior. Just over a year old, and still looks new.

The tan interior is growing on me to. I am glad you got a chuckle from my comment but we have not heard back from Lapham3, I hope that he's ok.
grin.gif

This is what started my interest in this CUV:

That's a good one and I like this one too:

That is a good one too. That's real world testing right there. You could argue tire differences would alter the results but the Subaru went up the hill with no struggle at all. Wasn't even close.

It would be interesting to see that done with the MT. With the hill holder, I think it would be no problem.

It would be interesting to see that done with the MT. With the hill holder, I think it would be no problem.

My wife likes manual transmissions almost as much as I do but she was worried about hilly Vermont takeoffs in January. The hill holder feature sold her.
thumbsup2.gif

My wife likes manual transmissions almost as much as I do but she was worried about hilly Vermont takeoffs in January. The hill holder feature sold her.
thumbsup2.gif

It is pretty nice, especially in an AWD car that's more likely to just bog or jerk rather than just spin one wheel a bit if you don't give it the right amount of gas.

It is, however, making me lazy though. I used to be quick about hill starts and very rarely use the e-brake. Now I still don't have to use the e-brake, but I'm getting slower at it!

Last edited:
Correction.

Earlier in this thread I posted what we paid for our new Crosstrek but I forgot about the $1000 that we put down as a deposit way back in September so add a grand to the earlier figure.

Also, our second tank of gas yielded the exact same 26.2 mpg that the first one did. I was hoping for a little improvement.

How is the shifting? Has it improved at all?

Maybe just a little bit. It sure is fun to drive though.
19.gif

That's true BD.

The other little snag I've run into is the pedals are small and close. It's tight with my ordinary size 11 winter boots.

Very sick of wearing boots!

Used the new Crosstrek for my ~80mi work commute for the first time yesterday. She hums along quite a bit at 70-75mph. 70mph tachs out at ~3100rpm and 75mpg is approaching ~3500rpm in 5th gear. The hamsters are restless.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Used the new Crosstrek for my ~80mi work commute for the first time yesterday. She hums along quite a bit at 70-75mph. 70mph tachs out at ~3100rpm and 75mpg is approaching ~3500rpm in 5th gear. The hamsters are restless.

This vehicle suits my needs more so than any other right now. The only problem I'm having is deciding on which transmission to go with.

I get by with the 5spd now, even on the beach and trails, but the CVT has the advantage in those areas. I just think I would miss shifting gears.

They need to put the 6spd in it and that will give the mpg a boost to probably where the CVT is. Subaru is pushing the CVT though.

My 5spd is about 3,100 rpms @ 72mph.

I've got about 120 miles on the ticker and used just under 1/4 tank of gas. I believe it's got a 15.9g fuel tank. The average MPG dash readout is barely 20mpg at the moment.
eek.gif
, but they kept it idling for ridiculous amounts of time at the dealership on this tank of fuel.

Kind of scary though. My 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT was ~28-31mpg right out of the box. I'm hoping this 2.0L 5spd as atleast similar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I've got about 120 miles on the ticker and used just under 1/4 tank of gas. I believe it's got a 15.9g fuel tank. The average MPG dash readout is barely 20mpg at the moment.
eek.gif
, but they kept it idling for ridiculous amounts of time at the dealership on this tank of fuel.

Kind of scary though. My 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT was ~28-31mpg right out of the box. I'm hoping this 2.0L 5spd as atleast similar.

Who knows how "full" it actually was when you picked it up, too. I wouldn't worry about the MPG on the first tank. I bet it'll get much better.

This vehicle suits my needs more so than any other right now. The only problem I'm having is deciding on which transmission to go with.

I get by with the 5spd now, even on the beach and trails, but the CVT has the advantage in those areas. I just think I would miss shifting gears.

They need to put the 6spd in it and that will give the mpg a boost to probably where the CVT is. Subaru is pushing the CVT though.

My 5spd is about 3,100 rpms @ 72mph.

Hard to argue against going with the stick if you enjoy driving stick. More fun, more efficient in putting engine power to the wheels, and cheaper. Why not?

If it's a good stick, true. I'm reading mixed reviews about this one. Needs a 6th gear.

If it's a good stick, true. I'm reading mixed reviews about this one. Needs a 6th gear.

Well buster, the transmission is definitely loosening up after 700+ miles. I was actually able to shoehorn my wife out of the Crosstrek to go fill it up with gas.
smile.gif
I am not a big fan of 6 speed trannys (just too much rowing) but I do wish that 5th was just a bit taller to allow a few less revs at highway speed.

Overall we are very pleased so far, no other vehicle checked even close to as many of the boxes on our checklist as the Crosstrek.

Mileage report: The third tank yielded a little improvement and 28.1 mpg.

Well buster, the transmission is definitely loosening up after 700+ miles. I was actually able to shoehorn my wife out of the Crosstrek to go fill it up with gas.
smile.gif
I am not a big fan of 6 speed trannys (just too much rowing) but I do wish that 5th was just a bit taller to allow a few less revs at highway speed.

Overall we are very pleased so far, no other vehicle checked even close to as many of the boxes on our checklist as the Crosstrek.

Mileage report: The third tank yielded a little improvement and 28.1 mpg.

thumbsup2.gif

There are some reports of people smelling burning clutch when trying to back up a long steep hill or trying to get unstuck alternating from 1st to reverse. You pretty much have to feather the clutch if you're pushing a load in reverse. Reverse isn't meant to have a huge load on it, but the same can be said for the CVT equipped soobs. My 2012 legacy 2.5i CVT felt like it kept throttle away from you in reverse to keep from doing damage to the CVT.

In regards to fuel mileage, I'm at 230mi on mine and 1/2 tank of fuel left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back