New '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Crosstrek has been on order since September and we finally took delivery yesterday after 4 months of waiting! It had to be red and it had to have the 5 speed MT...those two items were not open for negotiation.

So we picked it up yesterday with 7 miles on the odometer and it read 22 miles after we drove home. The Crosstrek has a nice firm ride that I prefer and handled well. It also exhibited the well documented feeling of being slightly underpowered but we expected this. This will be my wife's winter car since we kept the Mini as her summer car...she's not spoiled is she?
grin.gif

I will update our ownership experience as we put miles on it but the initial feeling is positive in spite of the long wait.

SAM_0239-L.jpg

SAM_0241-L.jpg

SAM_0243-L.jpg

Nice car in a nice color so congrats. Not a huge fan of the light-colored interior, though.

The XV is on my list of cars to look at in the near future but only if Subaru gives it more power. My 2001 Impreza has the 2.5 with 165HP and I can't imagine having a similar yet slightly larger and heavier car having less power. Forget it.

Nice!!
I own an 07' WRX I bought new. I have 131K on it. The only trouble I've had so far was with the clutch slave cylinder. Rebuilt it myself with a $20 OEM kit.

You should expect many trouble free miles ahead.

A fuel hog for Florida but a delight for snowy Vermont.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the car and it should serve you well for many years.
Subarus are just far enough out of the mainstream to make them interesting.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

I'm not crazy about the tan interior either but it was the only option with the red exterior.

I kinda like the arse end, maybe the picture was taken in bad light or at a bad angle. Girls can get sensitive ya know.
wink.gif

This is our second Subie and they are kinda growing on me.

I like the light colored interior although I imagine it will be hard to keep clean. I also like the stick shift.
What engine does this car have....is it the same 2.0 as the newer Impreza?
If so, have they worked all the bugs out yet? (I read something but can't remember what it said.)
What are the EPA mileage ratings? What did it cost?

PS: I like it a lot....

They are nice little cars! I would strongly consider one if I was on the market for a new car.

Glad you got it with a proper transmission.

Nice car. I don't think I've ever seen a red XV on the road. The XV in on my short list for my next vehicle when the time comes to replace my old Forester.

I'd like to read reports about your MPGs with the 5 speed in the future. I was somewhat surprised that the CVT flavor of the XV is rated for better MPGs than the 5sp manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joe1
Nice car. I don't think I've ever seen a red XV on the road. The XV in on my short list for my next vehicle when the time comes to replace my old Forester.

I'd like to read reports about your MPGs with the 5 speed in the future. I was somewhat surprised that the CVT flavor of the XV is rated for better MPGs than the 5sp manual.

There are quite a few XVs around here. Every single one is orange.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

There are quite a few XVs around here. Every single one is orange.

I concur. Orange seems to be the 'official' color of the XV in northern NJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Immediately return to dealer. They put the steering wheel on backwards! Nice car. Looks like there's good visiabilty out the front. Best Subaru I ever owned was an 1984 bare bones new 2 dr. hatchback, 4 sp. Those were the days! Less "issues" & headaches!

I plan on tracking mileage via fuelly and I will let you all know. Yes, the CVT versions are rated higher which is a little bit surprising but like the Honda Fit, I think that it is mostly due to the fact that the highway gearing is lower with the automatic or in the case of the Subaru, the CVT.

Cost? We traded in our '11 Forester and kicked in just over $7500 to make the deal. I normally keep vehicles longer than three years and rarely trade in so this was an exceptional case for us. I just hated the 4EAT automatic transmission in the Forester and it had to go.

The automatic in our Forester is not my favorite.
It makes ridiculously slow, soft shifts and could really use a fifth gear.
These are notably durable trnsmissions, though.
How does your new one shift?
I've heard conflicting stories about the joys of the current manuals.

Is the 4EAT the same tranny used by old Ford ZX2's?
If so, I don't consider them very 'durable'...

My next car will be a manual...I hate the 6 speed A/T in my 2011 Cruze..it's indecisive and weird..IMO,A/T's have become less reliable as they get more complicated.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Is the 4EAT the same tranny used by old Ford ZX2's?
If so, I don't consider them very 'durable'...

Similar but not the same.

Both were made by Jatco. Jatco has supplied Ford, Subaru, Nissan, BMW, and VW. I think Jatco was a spin-off/partner ship with Nissan and Mazda that is now independent or mostly independent.

The Subaru 4EATs are known to be tough. I am not sure if the Fords were made to the same standards.

Nice ride! I really like the look of the XVs and would theoretically consider one if in the market, but like Bottom_Feeder would ideally want more power. An XV turbo with manual transmission would be great.

But then there is the fun of wringing out a smaller engine with a stick shift. Enjoy the new Subie!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

How does your new one shift?
I've heard conflicting stories about the joys of the current manuals.

The throws seem to be a bit on the long side but not too bad. It also exhibits a little notchiness that I hope will diminish as we add miles.

BTW, the first fillup after 150 miles today yielded 26.2 mpg, not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back