New 1040 form..What a JOKE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
….You can deduct the cost of the software from your taxes.
As a tax credit with dollar for dollar return? Afaik, tax prep fees of any kind subject to 2% AGI threshold. That would be of no help. Give me a credit for it, I could be convinced.

...E-File is free.
With qualification. https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

Yeah the qualifications are you must know if you made more or less than $66000. You sir are now just griping to be griping.

. ...You sir are now just griping to be griping
No, you sir are making an assumption about it being free for me. As I supplied the link, I know the limit. But, thanks for the tip anyway.
56.gif

Another plug for Free Tax USA. Well worth the $12 state filing fee. Haven't filed a paper form in almost two decades. Is staying paper worth a quarter an hour for your time?

Last edited:
Reminds me of filling out 1040 EZ back when I started working professionally. IIRC that was a short One Pager. Hard part is having the associated documentation at hand. I make a "Ballot box" out of cardboard and instruct the Spouse to toss everything tax related in there.

It almost works!

The thing that eased E filing for me the past couple years is ADP will side load the W2 info. That helps a lot for 2 people And we were both payrolled through ADP.

Now Ill going to have to deal with the FED schedule B & D forms for dividends and interest and cap gains in retirement That's a pain breaking that down.

Then I find the State of New Hampshire has a (5%?) tax on div and interest. Never hit the threshold before. Another Form.

Remember still time for 2018 catch up contribution in a ROTH IRA. Tax free earnings and at withdrawl!

I don't mind spending ten bucks for efile. I use HR block and they keep the returns online for a few years also, and I keep them on my server as well.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I don't mind spending ten bucks for efile. I use HR block and they keep the returns online for a few years also, and I keep them on my server as well.

I used H&R Block for many years (and Kipplinger Tax Cut before they were bought by H&R). They just keep raising prices, and it was hard to find the Basic software for This year I decided to try a free option, and I liked it, and it worked well.

I don't usually plug products, but if you have simple taxes (and should work for more complex, but not sure if free) and want a free federal e-file, then I would definitely take a look at www.Freetaxusa.com.

If several people pitch in, Turbo Tax is cheap. I will help you minimize your tax burden.
Of course I have not used the others.

If several people pitch in, Turbo Tax is cheap. I will help you minimize your tax burden...
Main point missed obviously, doesn't change the factual topic findings. Along with stipulated paper use, preferring not to use for fee, third party software.

However, coming from the guy that took his $7500 tax break for his Tesla, I suppose I should expect no less a condescending sarcastic reply.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I don't usually plug products, but if you have simple taxes (and should work for more complex, but not sure if free) and want a free federal e-file, then I would definitely take a look at www.Freetaxusa.com.

+2, they don't have the "traps" (yet). Turbotax and Taxact lure you in then keep adding fees for relatively normal situations.

Am sure they'll change in a few years and someone else hungry for the business will be the new "cool kid".

My state taxes are super easy, and I owe them every year, so I do the federal for free then do the state's based off my 1040 printout. State just wants numbers like AGI off the fed form.

Sayjac,.Credit Karma is totally free for both federal and state taxes. Ive used them for 2 years now and have paid $0 both times. Both times I received my refund in 3 days for federal and around 10 days for state.

A lot of the advertised free sites are not free if your tax return is only slightly complicated or you make over a certain amount. And the fee goes up with more complication. I have a somewhat complicated tax return and credit karma was still totally free for federal and state.

I appreciate the sincere replies and recommendations. With the exception of one item I had already completed the 1040 1st draft forms using the "new and improved" 1040 before the posted OP. I like to compile all pertinent information on couple/few worksheet pages, so when forms arrive it's just a matter of filling them in.

The item exception deals with cost basis of an non voluntary (merger) stock transaction. Googling it, seems even those using TT and other tax software having some difficulty with this one.

And since all the suggestions for me, I have one of my own. If one ever has a question about stock cost basis, splits, spin offs. mergers etc., costbasis.com is a great site. Loads of information including dropdown menus will fillable forms that will calculate results to print. I've found it invaluable, and it's free.

In the end, had to add three of the new numeric schedule pages that fit on last years main 1040 page.

Originally Posted by chunt
A lot of the advertised free sites are not free if .... you make over a certain amount.

Yeah, that extra zero takes up a lot of file space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back