New 0W-20 and 5W-20 full syn MaxLife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Lex94
5w30 is obsolete....

Tell that to Nissan and General Motors.

Nissan has started recommending 0w20 for their 4 cylinders. GM has switched to 5w20 on most of their newer vehicles including the Malibu.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: Garak
5w30 is obsolete....

Tell that to Nissan and General Motors.

Nissan has started recommending 0w20 for their 4 cylinders. GM has switched to 5w20 on most of their newer vehicles including the Malibu.

And 0W20 on the ecotec 3

The easiest and cheapest way to avoid the huge fines is to specify a lighter oil...Do you follow?

Originally Posted By: bourne

I'm well aware of that. After all, I was one of the first to point out 20 grades on the dexos1 list. They both still specify 5w-30 for a wide variety of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: bigt61
The 10W-30 has an impressive NOACK. The death of 10W-30 may be greatly exaggerated.

Very true, I was looking in particular at the NOACK of the 5W30 versus the 5W20, and wondering how soon the 5W20 is declared an obsolete grade...
The 10W-30 has an impressive NOACK. The death of 10W-30 may be greatly exaggerated.

Very true, I was looking in particular at the NOACK of the 5W30 versus the 5W20, and wondering how soon the 5W20 is declared an obsolete grade...

Sorry guys the low Noack is only important to the OEMs and since they have rendered the grade obsolete in no longer specifying it (and never have for a syn oil) it's only old gray hairs they still buy it.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: The Critic
That's fairly high volatility for a 0w-20.

No, not really. And the VI is pretty good for an OTC synthetic.

Yes I agree and it's VI is slightly better than M1 0W-20.
But the truth is it's just another also-rans 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Sorry guys the low Noack is only important to the OEMs and since they have rendered the grade obsolete in no longer specifying it (and never have for a syn oil) it's only old gray hairs they still buy it.

Would you like to post something scientific or do you prefer to be a condescending woman?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Would you like to post something scientific or do you prefer to be a condescending woman?

Well I do have a science degree and I also have a sense of humour unlike you old women.

I keep reading 10w30 is obsolete yet down here, it flies off the shelf as quickly as everything else does. Same price and side-by-side with the other, more 'current' vis. I know you guys mean 'obsolete' as far as specs but definately not in sales.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I keep reading 10w30 is obsolete yet down here, it flies off the shelf as quickly as everything else does. Same price and side-by-side with the other, more 'current' vis. I know you guys mean 'obsolete' as far as specs but definately not in sales.

Probably because they have always used 10W-30 so that's what they continue to use. Before I came here and better educated myself about oil, I ran 10W-30 in everything no matter what the owner's manual called for. I'm sure there are millions of other people out there still doing the same.

Besides, why would you want to ruin your engine with that watered down 5W-20? Haven't you shaken those bottles in the store? That sstuff is just like water. The 10W-30 is thicker, so it must be much better for your engine.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Probably because they have always used 10W-30 so that's what they continue to use. Before I came here and better educated myself about oil, I ran 10W-30 in everything no matter what the owner's manual called for. I'm sure there are millions of other people out there still doing the same.

Besides, why would you want to ruin your engine with that watered down 5W-20? Haven't you shaken those bottles in the store? That sstuff is just like water. The 10W-30 is thicker, so it must be much better for your engine.
27.gif

Get ready (oh, i see you have) here it comes.... Lol

I know you are familiar with the Scientific Method...that is why your post bothered me.

Last edited:

Give it time. It wasn't any different here just a few short years ago. Now, when there's a big special, 10w-30 often lingers on the shelf the longest, and some Canadian Tires don't even carry 10w-30 synthetics any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back