New 06 Pontiac Vibe oil change plan dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mustang_Cougar:
We took a fairly simple request for advice and we . . . blasted the warranty period . . .

It wasn't actually intended as a blast, though it does sound like it after reading it again. I was pretty sure that the powertrain warranty was, as you mentioned, longer here in Canada. I thought he had it mixed up with the bumper-to-bumper warranty period. Sorry!
smile.gif

Boxgrover,

I agree with you on the OCI. The observation I was trying to make was that this thread, like so many others lately, seems to create more questions than answers as it goes along. Sort of a synopsis of most people's "BITOG experience," IMO.

Lately it seems that every oil brand thread degenerates over three or four pages into "Mobil 1 sucks/Amsoil is a cult/Syntec is vegetable oil." The only forum that consistantly stays positive is the GC forum, and the only reason for that is because they all talk like florists & interior designers (ex: "Me thinks the elves are cooking up a batch of the sweet green elixer...blah-blah-blah").

Sorry for the confusion.

rpn453,

Is it legislation in Canada that accounts for the longer warranties or is it just typical of manufacturers due to the colder climate?

quote:

I love this!

We took a fairly simple request for advice and we created confusion about the warranty OCI, questioned how much oil capacity is in the sump, brought up the mystery about the new dip stick, blasted the warranty period, started the "wear metals/machine tolerances" discussion again and touched on Toyota sludge.

This place is great.
frown.gif

So, who's holding the gun to your head and insisting that you participate???

Well, there you go: Another post that has nothing to do with helping this guy solve his problem.

But hey, the world can always use the advice of another attorney.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:
Not exactly true Cutehoumor.

I have an 05 base Vibe. My manual and I am sure yours describes a "long trip/highway maintenance schedule".

Under this designation you can change the oil and filter every 7,500 miles (12 500 km) or 12 months— whichever occurs first. [/QB]

2006 model base vibe OCI must have changed from your 2005. look at online service manual which is the online manual at GM owners website. ( Section 6-5 in owners manual of 06 Vibe)

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/pontiac/2006vibe.pdf

It is 5k miles or 3 months click the link above.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
The owners manual says "change engine oil every 5000 miles or 3 months" Thanks toyota!

Thank Toyota for what? Toyota recommends 5k miles OR 6 months OCI whichever comes first on my 06 Toyota. I see nothing wrong with Toyotas OCI. Your beef is with GM not Toyota.

I'm going to add my .02 here. I have an 03 Matrix XRS with the 1.8L 2zz with a fill of 3.75 qts. The engine in the Vibe base should be the 1zz. I just checked my manual and the OCI was 5k or 4 months on the severe side. The normal is 7500 or 6 mths. What's up with all the differences here? Although Toyota (and I know he has a GM) has had issues with sludge, they cannot void your warranty for not using their service or whoever to change your oil. All you need is proof of atleast 1 oil change a year. This statement comes from a report done by Consumer Reports on the old sludge engines.

Now having said all that, should you choose to preserve the warranty to the letter, then follow the manual. IMO, you would be fine with an OCI of 5k but that's just me. You can locate some useful information at www.matrixowners.com should you choose. I really don't know why GM and Toyota would have different OCI's for the same engine. I think, also, that there is a "Maint Req" light which triggers around 4500. The Toyota's have them. This is only a reminder light, not an oil quality light.

On a side note concerning oil levels: I also have a 2004 Tacoma w/ a 2.4L. The manual states the fill is 5.8 qts. The actual fill (dipstick) is 4.7 qts. Toyota's response to my inquiry was to go by the dipstick. The service manager at my dealership said that they only put 4.5 qts in all the 4 cyls. Go by the stick, as that is what the dealer will use should you have engine issues.

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
Thank Toyota for what? Toyota recommends 5k miles OR 6 months OCI whichever comes first on my 06 Toyota. I see nothing wrong with Toyotas OCI. Your beef is with GM not Toyota. [/QB]

It is Toyota's designed and built engine, I would assume they set the OCI for it. They did cut back the OCI of most if not all engines to 5k/6months recently. Is it hard to believe they would with the vibe? Common sense tells me with the sludge debacle at Toyota, it would seem to me they would set the OCI to a stricter requirement. Since GM is all about their OLM, the OLM is even in their base chevy cobalt which promote a naturally longer oci in normal driving conditions. It would seem to me my beef is with Toyota.
grin.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
Thank Toyota for what? Toyota recommends 5k miles OR 6 months OCI whichever comes first on my 06 Toyota. I see nothing wrong with Toyotas OCI. Your beef is with GM not Toyota.
It is Toyota's designed and built engine, I would assume they set the OCI for it. They did cut back the OCI of most if not all engines to 5k/6months recently. Is it hard to believe they would with the vibe? Common sense tells me with the sludge debacle at Toyota, it would seem to me they would set the OCI to a stricter requirement. It would seem to me my beef is with Toyota.
grin.gif
[/QB]

Interesting, I went and got my 2006 Toyota Scheduled Maintenance guide. The Matrix is listed in it along with all 06 Toyotas... and it does in fact state 5k miles OR 6 months. In fact log charts are in 5k / 6 months increments only.

I think I'm going to change the factory fill out about 500 miles to get the break in wear out then use some dino from my stash. Run it 1500k miles do a UOA. When three months come around again, I'll buy the dino oil and filter for receipt proof, but use havoline synthetic SL (6-7k miles) from my stash and change yearly with UOAs. This car will be driven easy highway miles. But this is BITOG, I may change my mind later.
smile.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Boxgrover:
Not exactly true Cutehoumor.

I have an 05 base Vibe. My manual and I am sure yours describes a "long trip/highway maintenance schedule".

Under this designation you can change the oil and filter every 7,500 miles (12 500 km) or 12 months— whichever occurs first.
2006 model base vibe OCI must have changed from your 2005. look at online service manual which is the online manual at GM owners website.
https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/pontiac/2006vibe.pdf

It is 5k miles or 3 months click the link above.

Yup the manual has changed re "When to Change Engine Oil" for the 06 compared to the 05 Vibe. I went to the exact quote in the 05 online manual permitting a yearly OCI with hwy driving...this permission is not shown in the 06 manual. My mistake. I thought I had found a way out for you that will work for me under the GM warranty.

So, with regards to the '06 Vibe, they put a larger oil pan on the engine, increased it's fluid capacity, but reduced the OCI? Meanwhile, the '06 Matrix continues to have a completely different maintenance schedule?

Also, did they really put a larger oil pan on the new Vibe or did they just change the dipstick? (I've seen photos of '06 vs. '05 and it looks shorter).

quote:

Is it legislation in Canada that accounts for the longer warranties or is it just typical of manufacturers due to the colder climate?

I don't know, but shorter warranties have been common in the past. It could just be considered a more valuable selling feature here?
dunno.gif

In the "Checking Things Under the Hood" section of that manual, it gives the following advice for engine oil (5-16):

quote:

If the engine oil pressure light appears on the instrument cluster, it means you need to check your engine oil level right away . . . You should check your engine oil level regularly; this is an added reminder.

Doh!!!

quote:

Also, did they really put a larger oil pan on the new Vibe or did they just change the dipstick? (I've seen photos of '06 vs. '05 and it looks shorter).

According to a post by Minou here , they changed the dipstick markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back