New '03 Tundra V8 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners manual says 5000 miles for 1st oil & change. Dealer says 1000 miles, then another @ 3000. What do you guys think? Also, what is your recommendation for oil when it is changed?

Most of my Toyota customers run either 0w-30 or 5w-30. I'd think the Mobil 1, 5w-30 or 10w-30 would work very well. I'd probably use the 10w-30, even though 5w-30 is the primary grade recommended. The 10w-30 is their best stuff right now ....

Tooslick

Hotrod,

I like the dealer's idea of short interval oil changes in a new engine in case there's any break in wear particles or manufacturing dirt inside the engine. Then, I'd do 5000 mile oil changes with any top quality oil...5W-30 in your winter and 10W-30 in your summer.

Ken

Thanks for the replies. So, would it be alright to go to synthetic at the first change or wait longer? Honda told us to wait for 10,000 before using syn in our 03 Accord.

My boy would die for a V-8 Tundra. Go out and get a job and buy his own??
Well that comes under another topic altogether.
frown.gif

So after God knows how many miles, his 22R 88 4X4 finaly gives up the ghost.
The sucker that I am, lend him the 95 windstar Van until he gets the engine in his truck swapped out. (a $250.00 used 22R will go another 50,000 miles)
He is drinking at a house party in Whistler BC, when they hear the horn in the Windstar blowing.
Closer looks reveal a black bear, with it's bum pressed against the steering wheel eating fifty bucks worth of protien sports bars and drinking a gallon of Tropicna orange juice.
rolleyes.gif

Now in his 24Th year, I've heard some good stories from this kid about how things around here went missing or trashed, but this story about how the side window of the van got broken is the best so far.
Q; Should I believe him?
dunno.gif

One of the Master Techs at the Toyota dealership where I bought my car left the break in oil in his truck (identical to yours) for 1000 miles then switched over to Mobil 1 10w30. I asked his opinion on when I could switch to synthetic with the new (at that time) Corolla I had just purchased. He said there was absolutely no harm in doing so @ 1000 miles. That was over a year ago. I still see him every once in a while and we compare notes. Neither one of us has had to add any oil whatsoever and gas mileage has been exceptional for both respective of the obvious differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back