Never used 502 spec oil in 2006 Jetta 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need your opinion! Next week, I am heading out to McMinnville, Oregon to pick up my newest addition to my fleet. 2006 VW Jetta 2.5L, 20,527 miles. My father-in-law is 78 years old, bought it new. Putts around town, and rare trip to Portland. No longer driving due to medical issues. Garage kept and nearly perfect.
He always has his oil changed at, in his words, "the local $19.99 quickie lube." Every 3,000-4,000 miles.
Most likely Valvoline or some other dino, non 502 spec oil. Current oil change has 71 miles on it. I will be driving it back to Indiana, 2,400 mile trip.
Question 1: Do you think he has hurt the motor using non-502 spec oil?
Question 2: Should I run the Jetta over to Mac VW and have an oil change before I head to Indiana?

I appreciate your input!

The car is fine. The 2.5 is not super picky and intervals were kept reasonable.

Drive it home and fill it with the correct oil of your choice.

The main benefit of 502 oil is the higher HTHS and longer drain capability. If he's changing it that frequently and short-tripping it, the oil probably isn't getting up to temp, therefore its staying thick. If he's on the highway/freeway, that's optimum conditions for an oil and should be fine.

If it were me, I would just leave it alone and change it when I got home. It's going to need some work since it's only driven 1,500 miles/year. Change every fluid when you get home, and tires.

Originally Posted by LotI
The main benefit of 502 oil is the higher HTHS and longer drain capability. If he's changing it that frequently and short-tripping it, the oil probably isn't getting up to temp, therefore its staying thick. If he's on the highway/freeway, that's optimum conditions for an oil and should be fine.

I agree, it should be fine.
Short change intervals negates the need for a long-life oil.
Driving slowly and gently negates the need for a thicker high HTHS oil.

Cruise home at a relaxed pace, and change the oil with the correct stuff at your place.

That 2.5 is quite low tech with a largish sump so I would not be too terribly concerned about the oil used. Now the ultra low mileage is a concern, let's say it's 14 years old...it has averaged ~1500 miles per year. Might be good to have a once over done on everything with a focus on the mechanical rubber bits (coolant lines and serp belt) before you drive home, tires are probably dry rotted out too so might wanna take that in account before you hit the drive home.

Agree, as long as the 71 mile oil isn't years old...

I would change it with a quality filter and recommended oil when you get it home.

Luckily, he put new tires on 2 years ago. New battery also. I was thinking along the same lines as you all. Give her a good going over visually, drive home gently, then replace air filter, cabin filter, brake fluid, oil, and oil filter.

What do you think moving forward on brand and weight of oil and filter? I live in Indiana, car will be mostly garaged, especially in winter, and see max of 4,000 miles a year. I'm not wealthy, but I don't skimp on oil, tires, etc. Driving style is relaxed, but occasionally spirited, never abusive.

I previously owned a 2011 Jetta TDI, put 80,000 miles on her before sold (Received a company car). Always used OEM (Castrol) oil and filter. So, I am familiar with these cars.

Youre fine, run that thing into the ground! We see plenty with 150 170k and a few over 230! Only the 5 cylinders also.

I'd grab a good 5w-40 synthetic and never look back.

Agree that quikElube + gentle driving + short intervals = no harm; also with checking rubber parts prior....

Originally Posted by Chris142
Another option is to swing into walmart and get the oil changed with the proper stuff.

+1

Off the topic of oil, there is an interesting aviation museum in McMinnville, the Spruce Goose is there. The entity that currently owns it has been selling off the better aircraft, so the future of the museum could be finite. If you like aircraft, the museum is worth taking a look at. If you've never seen the Spruce Goose it's worth looking at.

Yes, I've been to the museum. It's great! Hate that the good stuff is being sold off. I'm a student pilot, so that stuff always interests me!
smile.gif

Will make zero difference here if it was just changed frequently. When I started maintaining my wife's 2000 Jetta after we got married, it has a had 5K changes at a quick lube place with regular 5W30. I swapped to VW502 M1 but that vehicle is still running at 280K. I'd just change it to 5W40 502 when you can...no rush.

Since you are dealing with a low milage car....check brakes before anything else...

Certs like MB 229.5/51....BMW LL-04/01 or VW 504/507 would suffice...

Originally Posted by Pickemuptruck
Need your opinion! Next week, I am heading out to McMinnville, Oregon to pick up my newest addition to my fleet. 2006 VW Jetta 2.5L, 20,527 miles. My father-in-law is 78 years old, bought it new. Putts around town, and rare trip to Portland. No longer driving due to medical issues. Garage kept and nearly perfect.
He always has his oil changed at, in his words, "the local $19.99 quickie lube." Every 3,000-4,000 miles.
Most likely Valvoline or some other dino, non 502 spec oil. Current oil change has 71 miles on it. I will be driving it back to Indiana, 2,400 mile trip.
Question 1: Do you think he has hurt the motor using non-502 spec oil?
Question 2: Should I run the Jetta over to Mac VW and have an oil change before I head to Indiana?

I appreciate your input!

The way you described his driving style, all is OK.
I personally would take it to locl VW to change oil, but also flush brakes! That should be of more concern.

Everything visually looked great on the Jetta when I arrived at my father-in-law's. I took it to McMinnville VW and had them change oil and look everything over. She checked out great!

Wonderful drive from Oregon to Indiana! About 2 weeks after getting back, I had Tom Wood VW flush the brakes and do a 4 wheel alignment. They were really impressed with it being a 2006 Jetta with 23,000 miles! I changed the cabin air, and engine air filter myself. She is running great and I am looking foward to many years of great service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back