Never use Dex Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I told you before...Post up the proof to support your cause. The problem you have is there is NO proof that it either enhances gasket deterioration or prolongs it.

Post it up for scrutiny...
laugh.gif

I've seen just as many issues with regular coolant as I've seen with Dexcool. Anyone who doesn't maintain their vehicle will have problems regardless of what they use.
Any vehicle that has 'problems' will experience issues regardless of coolant used.

The problem with Dexcool are the CONSUMER who don't want to maintain their vehicles. The automakers, constantly trying to lower the cost of maintenance, are producing disposable vehicles with extended fluid change intervals.

5yr/150k coolant, lifetime PSF/ATF/.....extended OCIs.....are doing nothing for vehicle longevity.

No problems with Dexcool here. I've used it since the local autoparts stores starting selling it. Besides the GM vehicles, I've used it in Nissans, Fords, Mazdas, Toyotas.... They all get yearly coolant changes and I always use distilled water. I'm also a little OCD with cap/thermostat replacements which should be changed every couple of years also.

Here are my recommendations(regardless of coolant used):
Change it EVERY year. I don't see a need for a flush. Just pull the radiator drain(or lower hose), the block drain(if equipped), and clean out the overflow, recovery, or pressure bottle.
Use distilled water ALWAYS(I hate tap water and do not recommend garden hose flush kits).
Replace your thermostat and cap every 3 years or less(stick with OEM or equivalent parts).
Stick with ONE brand and type of coolant.
Use a stop leak product if your vehicle is a known gasket eater or has porosity issues(GM owners, Nissan 1.8, Subarus...).

Oh I get it now, and I accept your appology Buzzcutter. You must have me mixed up with someone else, I NEVER said that Dex "enhances gasket deterioration or prolongs it". In fact I never made any claims as far as Dex and any type of gasket or seal period. So I'm sure you would have appoligized for the mix up and all the drama for something I never said, so you are forgivin.

Quote:

Oh I get it now, and I accept your appology Buzzcutter. You must have me mixed up with someone else, I NEVER said that Dex "enhances gasket deterioration or prolongs it". In fact I never made any claims as far as Dex and any type of gasket or seal period. So I'm sure you would have appoligized for the mix up and all the drama for something I never said, so you are forgivin.

Are you 8 years old or something? Geez.

Admins, I humbly suggest that this topic has been explored *to death* here and in a multitude of other threads, that this particular thread is adding nothing of substance to what has already been covered here and elsewhere, and that the continuing posts within this thread are further adding no new or otherwise helpful/useful/interesting information beyond Shelby's original post. Can we please ... PLEASE bury this horse yet again?

Quote:

Are you 8 years old or something? Geez.
Admins, I humbly suggest that this topic has been explored *to death* here and in a multitude of other threads, Can we please ... PLEASE bury this horse yet again?

Thanks for adding to the value of this thread.
confused.gif

First, I am new here and did a search before posting. My mistake was that in this search function it defaults to a week instead of most search functions which go back to bring up every "hit". Rather than stooping to your level and asking you if your immatating a teenage girl (I was wondering if you were going to say neener next), I will just agree with you, this topic has been beating to death and we should close it. I will just conclude by saying anyone searching about Dex Cool should do some research before chosing it.

Quote:

First, I am new here and did a search before posting. My mistake was that in this search function it defaults to a week instead of most search functions which go back to bring up every "hit".

I think your mistake was coming here, new as you are, with that big fat attitude you have growing out of your backside.

Quote:

Rather than stooping to your level and asking you if your immatating a teenage girl (I was wondering if you were going to say neener next)...

I think I was doing all the stooping ... and now it looks like the bar's a little lower yet.

Quote:

I will just agree with you, this topic has been beating to death and we should close it. I will just conclude by saying anyone searching about Dex Cool should do some research before chosing it.

Well, the great Shelby agrees with me. Thanks, Shelby. I'm honored.

I will ignore the nasty behavior and get back to the topic of Dex Cool.

I suspect that Dex Cool is safe to use in a new vehicle that came with Dex Cool. I have no doubt that GM used Dex Cool in older models that had real problems with Dex Cool.

I switched 4 cars over to Dex Cool 6 or 7 years ago, thinking that it was an improvement. I also used Redline Water Wetter and distilled water.

Bottom line is that combination caused setious problems, and I became Dex Cool and Water Wetter averse.

I think Redline Diesel Water Wetter might have been better.

I decided then to only use Dex Cool if the vehicle came with Dex Cool.

If the vehicle came with another OAT or hybrid OAT coolant I stick with the factory coolant, or sometimes G-05.

G-05 is my coolant of choice in other vehicles.

But an old car that ran conventional green coolant gets green coolant.

I also believe in changing the coolant every few years, once a year or so for green, every 2 to 3 years for the new OAT coolants.

I'm not a fan of Dex Cool and rarely use it now.

I do believe that Dex Cool has caused problems or killed motors... but it was the combination of Dex Cool and other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back