Never thought I'd find myself on an oil forum, but here goes....

I service my own vehicles, so reviewing some of these threads it seems like I may have come to the right place to obtain some basic answers...

General assumptions on installing the correct oil in my vehicle(s)...
1. Start with the vehicle owner's manual for directions and approved oil types
2. Consider the operating environment, temp, climate, etc
3. Consider the vehicle's your application - road, track, other etc.
4. Cost of oil and availability
5. Other??

So here is where I am..... approaching my first oil change due date on a 2021 Mercedes GLC300 4Matic SUV. Some anxiety here, as I want to be sure to comply with the MB approved oils to avoid compromising the warranty. Manual assumes I will go to the dealership for the service, along with multiple messages suggesting I schedule an appointment on the display. Purchased Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 to address the cold Michigan winters. This oil is listed by MB as one of their approved oils for my vehicle. The container specifies the oils meets ACEA C3 - Part number on container M72158 (1 US Qt. container). However seems like some of the oil manufacturers have stopped including the manufacturer approved designations on the labels.

When I enter the Oil Reset to confirm completion of the service, there are four options to select the oil I have used - 229.51, 229.52, 229.61 and 229.71. ( I assume I would be fine but don't know the implications?) Can anyone enlighten me as to what the differences are among the four, and most importantly which I should select for my given oil. Examining the larger 5L container labels for the same oil online, I have found reference to both MB 229.51 and 229.52. From reading up on my vehicle I understand this issue relates to the particulate filter in the cat and is important to get right!

Will the ECM vary the duration of the oil changes and consider other factors, depending on the oil selected among the four?

Guidance and assistance appreciated. Thank you in advance.

First off welcome !
I can't confirm if the ecm is that smart in your car ! probably does have programs for each spec of oil ?
While under warranty document everything and keep all purchase records of oil , filters etc.

Interesting question on MB approval. I am sure your best info would come from MB. Do you garage the car, is it heated? Warranty would say your local MB service should have some answers.

If the owner's manual is to be believed then you most likely want an oil that meets MB 229.51. The Mobil-1 ESP 0W30 carries that approval so you're complying with their requirement to use an oil that carries the "MB-Freigabe" :)

As for making the proper selection on the instrument cluster after your oil change... click on MB 229.51 if given that option. Here is a snip-it from the owner's manual:

1651193536119.png

And the Mobil product data sheets shows:

MB approvals.JPG

Welcome!

Idle curiousity on my part - I presume that depending on which MB oil certification you enter, the OLM will consider the engine due for an oil change at various different mileages. Can anyone here confirm or correct this? Thanks.

I don't know why the specification choice in the service reset. My newest is old and only counts miles. You'd get a real answer on one of the MB specific forums.

Oil choices aren't tricky or difficult to purchase.
These are all low SPASH oils because Mercedes has particulate filters on diesels and gassers now.
You're sure to find one of them that you can get easily. 229.51/52 are available at all the chain autoparts stores now (Mobil 1 ESP being the most common).
Check the official Mercedes lists here:
Mercedes BEVO list
229.51 is the old long drain interval low ASH standard.
229.52 gets better fuel economy and oxidation resistance. (less likely to sludge in an OM642 diesel)
229.61 is low HTHS for even better fuel economy (there are only 8 approved oils on the list!)
229.71 only comes in 0W-20 and 5W20. Aimed at fuel economy.

Pick one. As stated, 229.51/52 Mobil 1 ESP, Pennzoil Euro L, and Castrol C3 or LL are all available at chains like NAPA, AA, O'Reilly's, or AZ.
Want fancy, go to the BEVO and pick something; order online.

Last edited:
I service my own vehicles, so reviewing some of these threads it seems like I may have come to the right place to obtain some basic answers...

5. Other??

So here is where I am..... approaching my first oil change due date on a 2021 Mercedes GLC300 4Matic SUV. Some anxiety here, as I want to be sure to comply with the MB approved oils to avoid compromising the warranty. Manual assumes I will go to the dealership for the service, along with multiple messages suggesting I schedule an appointment on the display. Purchased Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 to address the cold Michigan winters. This oil is listed by MB as one of their approved oils for my vehicle. The container specifies the oils meets ACEA C3 - Part number on container M72158 (1 US Qt. container). However seems like some of the oil manufacturers have stopped including the manufacturer approved designations on the labels.

When I enter the Oil Reset to confirm completion of the service, there are four options to select the oil I have used - 229.51, 229.52, 229.61 and 229.71. ( I assume I would be fine but don't know the implications?) Can anyone enlighten me as to what the differences are among the four, and most importantly which I should select for my given oil. Examining the larger 5L container labels for the same oil online, I have found reference to both MB 229.51 and 229.52. From reading up on my vehicle I understand this issue relates to the particulate filter in the cat and is important to get right!

Will the ECM vary the duration of the oil changes and consider other factors, depending on the oil selected among the four?

Welcome!

Make sure that doing your own oil changes doesn't void the warranty in some way. Ask how the dealer wants you to record the oil changes.

MB 229.52 is essentially a stricter version of MB 229.51, both are specifications for extended drain intervals based on ACEA C3, MB 229.61 is similar but based on ACEA C2 which is thinner more similar to the viscosity API Resource Conserving 30 grade oils with an HTHS viscosity between 2.9-3.2 whereas MB229.51/229.52 are heavier 30 grade oil with a HTHS viscosity over 3.5, MB229.71 is based on ACEA C5 which is a 20 grade oil.

WELCOME!
[Quote-RaymondP]: "I service my own vehicles, so reviewing some of these threads it seems like I may have come to the right place to obtain some basic answers..."

No, you not MAY HAVE, ;) you definitely came to the right place! (y)

Congratulations on your GLC! Unsure why exactly they have you select what approval of oil you use. Not sure if it changes anything. Other than that, I'd recommend using an oil with the approvals of 229.51 or 229.52 (.51 is same as .52 but tests for better fuel economy when using the oil). Especially with it being a direct injected turbo, I recommend staying away from 229.71. Not that it is outright harmful, but .71 is a 0W-20, while the .51/.52 is a heavy 30wt with an HTHS of around 3.5.
Don't see too many issues with these vehicles. The MB filter for these cars are pretty good never seen issues with them even on 10k+ miles changes. Don't see any issues with 10k miles OCI's on this engine or the 270/274 (I'm assuming you have the 264 inline 4, not the 276). Also, the oil capacity is 6 Liters (not quarts), if you fill it to 6 Liters and drive it it will yell at you to drain some oil due to fuel dilution. We don't see a big issue with it (not to the level of Honda 1.5L), but the short trippers always come back and we have to remove oil. So putting in a little less (even just doing 6 quarts gets you to ~5.7liters) will help. The filter can be a pain to get back in with the rubber hoses running around the bottom of it. Just have to mess with it a little and move it around and eventually it will slip right into place.

Best of luck! Good cars as long as you do the maintenance also (50k spark plug, air filter, 60k transmission services).

A big thank you all, for your input and good advice, and for the many warm welcomes. As CharBaby said, I have definitely landed in the right place. Clearly this is a very active forum, judging by the quick responses I have received from all of you.

So here is my plan going forward... for the service reset I will enter 229.52 as this is the better designation of the two that are listed (229.51 & .52) for the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 ESP I will be using. This oil is generally available at the local auto parts stores I frequent, and sometimes offered as a package deal - 5qts. with the appropriate filter at a good price. Have found the quart containers selling for as much as $14+ each at the regular price, so can get crazy!

I plan on staying with the 0W-30, as given my climate (can be as low as -20 degrees C some nights in Michigan, USA), my eye is on the "0W" rather than the "30". I plan to change the oil at around every 7-8,000 miles and am exploring an OBD2 reader/coder that will allow me to change the oil setting intervals. (Another story, but the iCarsoft EU Pro is top of my list at the moment). I believe the change interval is currently set at 12 months/10,000 miles at the factory. My family and I drive German vehicles, and generally favor their quality and performance once we have become used to their individual idiosyncrasies, and importantly, as long as they remain out of the shop ($$$ - ouch)!

Please feel free to comment on my conclusion.

Just sharing my purchasing experience when I first picked up the new car from the MB dealership. I visited their service dept. and asked specifically what oil they would use for the service. The "technician's" response was we use the same oil for all our vehicles - regular Mobil 1 Full Syn. , I think they mentioned 5W-30. Must have got a deal. My point is it would appear they would NOT be compliant with MB specs for my new vehicle. You wonder?

At a starting temperature of -20C an oil with a 5W winter rating is also appropriate. Both will pump and crank about the same at that temperature.

Just go with one that has the proper or acceptable approval and don't worry about the rest.

5. Other??

While I can't answer anything about MB approved oils or MB maintenance minders... your points 1-4 are pretty good, that is what I personally use for basing my maintenance decisions. If I've been doing a lot driving in dusty/dirt roads during summer camp trips, or lots of cold starts/short trips in wintertime (when the engine cools off quickly), I might change the oil 1500-2000 miles sooner (currently doing 7000-8000 mile OCI on full syn). Also point #4 should include towing/hauling as well as frequent short tripping... maybe that's what "other" means. Welcome to BITOG.

The mb oil specs make no sense to me, like they hired someone to make it as confusing as posible with no logic behind it :ROFLMAO:
Just as their atf, oil for 5 speed, for 7 speed for 9 speed. oil for 7 can go in to 5, 5 can not go in to 7. dealer ship used wrong oil on my friends e500 so even they dont know what to use anymore.

However back to topic, as far as i know shell/penzoil is mercedes oem motoroil supplier and Fuchs made some of their atf and steering/suspension fluids.

I personally would go with shell oil according to range for your temperatures and with the right approval. Shell oils as mercedes oem will hold a real approval and not a recommandation ''approval''.

This would also be your best case for any warranties etc..

Do you plan on keeping the car 30 years? If not i would just keep to the OLM.
Its actually a pretty intelligent system which makes it calculations on a lot of data like monitoring the lenght of your trips, what temps the oil useally runs at, amount of start/stops, conductivity in the oil, adding new oil and many more. I read an article about this but can not find it right now.

My 2005 bmw 325i also has/had an OLM and made it to 220k miles by just following the (long) OLM.
After 220k miles the bmw OLM just stops working and somehow you can not reset the oil changes in the system. Bmw probably never thought of their cars making it past 220k miles:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The mb oil specs make no sense to me, like they hired someone to make it as confusing as posible with no logic behind it :ROFLMAO:
Just as their atf, oil for 5 speed, for 7 speed for 9 speed. oil for 7 can go in to 5, 5 can not go in to 7. dealer ship used wrong oil on my friends e500 so even they dont know what to use anymore.
How is it confusing? They give you acceptable approvals (not specs) and you pick one or another that are listed. If a dealership used a product with the incorrect approval then that's a very stupid mistake on the dealer.

The more interesting question to me at least is how does what you select during the reset affect the change interval and how is it calculated?

For instance if you pick an oil that is not considered "long drain interval" is the maximum time and mileage before chance modified to fit that lower oil vs one that is approved as "long drain interval"? (One would suppose so) and is the change interval modified for usage or is it a simple mileage counter.

However back to topic, as far as i know shell/penzoil is mercedes oem motoroil supplier and Fuchs made some of their atf and steering/suspension fluids.

I personally would go with shell oil according to range for your temperatures and with the right approval. Shell oils as mercedes oem will hold a real approval and not a recommandation ''approval''.

This would also be your best case for any warranties etc..

Do you plan on keeping the car 30 years? If not i would just keep to the OLM.
Its actually a pretty intelligent system which makes it calculations on a lot of data like monitoring the lenght of your trips, what temps the oil useally runs at, amount of start/stops, conductivity in the oil, adding new oil and many more. I read an article about this but can not find it right now.

My 2005 bmw 325i also has/had an OLM and made it to 220k miles by just following the (long) OLM.
After 220k miles the bmw OLM just stops working and somehow you can not reset the oil changes in the system. Bmw probably never thought of their cars making it past 220k miles:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Mercedes OLM is not an "intelligent" one. It counts down 10000 miles or 365 days. Some of the late 2000s even did 13000 miles/365.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Mobil produces the Mercedes oil for the US. Pentosin makes a lot of the other OEM fluid.

Mercedes just uses numbers for any approval, but yes it is confusing. 236.x is ATF, 228.x & 229.x are engine oil, etc.

Fun fact: Mercedes' OLM can be reset after 220k miles!

Back