Never thought I would say this

Status
Not open for further replies.
today at Hastings, I found all seasons of Walker, Texas Ranger new on dvd at 4.99$ a set. Needless to say all 8 seasons were bought. Also picked up some MacGyver for 4.99$ a season.
Now watching the first season, I have come to realization.
Television is pretty much dead.

Kids these days watch Teen Mom and other shows that revolve around one thing, sex. As well as shows about addictions etc.

18 and Pregnant or whatever they call it, Teen Mom, all it does it glorify pregnancy before maturity.
Kids these days having Kids. Tsk tsk.

We need more Chuck Norris in our lives. I grew up watching Walker, MASH Reruns, Star Trek TNG/VOY/DS9 or TOS reruns, good shows, Innocent humor, decent morals.

If I ever have kids, I would rather them watch the gun totin, Ram Driving, Cordell Walker, over some high school kid having a kid and making money off it.

Now back to the Texas Ranger
19.gif

Last edited:
Ha!

I wonder if most of that is on netflix already. But eventually the subscription cost would match purchase cost I bet.

I get MacGyver through amazon. Working my way through season 1. It does improve in the later seasons.

For those who aren't fans, this show is written/ produced by Henry Winkler, aka "the fonz".

It's an 80's Western, good vs evil. MacGyver's jury rigs only go on for a minute or two per show. The rest is just a Mac vs a criminal, who we don't know the backstory of how he got "bad", and a couple hired "toughs" or "goons" who are just around to punch and kick.

When "Law & Order" came out, we start seeing shades of gray: guys working a 9-5 who are just trying to make a little money on the side, or get a little revenge, etc. "Miami Vice" also tried to paint this distinction a little.

You forgot "Knight Rider" and "The A-Team" on your list of 80's action shows.
01.gif

Walker was about the last of that genre.

I just started disliking television a few years back.
all it has become is Sex or Reality shows.
Or sexual reality shows.

Walker, MacGyver, Knightrider, Etc are all shows that appealed to the family, and a family could sit down and watch in the living room together before the kids were in bed by 8 for school the next day...

Now we have kids who sit in their rooms, watching cable/Satellite on their own television, until midnight or later, then going to school in the morning..

Parents wonder now why their kids are getting pregnant or failing in school... Blaming the school.
I remember back when kids were held responsible for their grades and parents sided with the teacher.
I was also hit with a belt every now and then.

Besides the point, I was born in 1992, and didn't have my own television in my room until Junior year high school, 2008-2009. didn't have satellite until my senior year high school 2009-2010.

Didn't own a flat screen television until I got back from Afghanistan this year, nor did I own any other thing than a Super Nintendo until I got back from deployment. Now I own a PS4 I bought in March and have only played 3 times. LOL

What ever happened to hard work, family morals, and the American Dream?

As well as kids failing school, yet their parents hand them the keys to a new vehicle and the gas card every week.

I worked to get my truck, which my parents owned, and I worked to put gas in it. Only thing I didn't pay for was insurance, which was based on my grades (Both insurance discount for having good grades and that was my incentive to do good in high school)

I mowed the grass starting when I was 8, and that was pushmower 2.5 acres. I was so excited when I was allowed to finally use the riding mower when I turned 10. Did it because I thought it was cool to do. Now kids play video games and don't wanna do jack unless theyre paid allowances. I have a little cousin, he mows 1 acre and his parents give him 40$ a week.

1) Tough to say this but you gotta be smart enough and tough enough to turn the set off if garbage is coming into your living room or your kids heads.

2) Tough to hear this but if you whimp around complaining about the quality of TV and keep watching it, you're very much part of the problem.

3) Also tough to hear is that there are more and more stupid people in our country and this world every day. Sorry to be the one to tell you this.

Smarty pants advice (from me): Don't replace bad television with the angry, know-it-all news programming which floods the airwaves. Consider reading. Kira

There's been some good shows on recently. Breaking Bad, House, Dexter, etc. Walking Dead to an extent.

And I'm a younger guy, I think the teen mom/Snooki type shows are really more female watched than anything. I sure don't watch them :p

Last edited:
My wife has been gone for the last week. Last night was the first time I felt like watching tv. Flipped thro netflix, saw nothing I wanted to watch. Went back my novel.

A while ago I tried to get into the 80s shows, particularly the ones I missed while growing up, but it was a no go.

You remind me of myself GumbyJarvis, being born in 1990, I watched a lot of the same shows. Walker is a great show.

Here in the Minneapolis metro there are a couple of over the air stations (ME TV and Antenna TV) that pretty much show old television shows and family movies. I watch them a lot more than my cable channels.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Here in the Minneapolis metro there are a couple of over the air stations (ME TV and Antenna TV) that pretty much show old television shows and family movies. I watch them a lot more than my cable channels.

I've been watching Dragnet, The Rifleman, Wanted: Dead or Alive.

I can't stand scripted "reality" shows.

Ahhh, for the days when the History Channel actually had history.....

Quote:
What ever happened to hard work, family morals, and the American Dream?

Some elected folks think its perfectly OK to have young adults that can are capable of working to be on:
Food Stamps, SNAP, WIC, EBT, Section 8, etc...etc... sitting on their butt doing nothing.
mad.gif

No job and they complain about 'income inequality'

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
In order to change society you have to change the thinking regarding the family unit.

I guess this is why Hollywood pushes garbage like 'Modern Family'...trying to make us believe those weirdos are normal...

Originally Posted By: redhat
You remind me of myself GumbyJarvis, being born in 1990, I watched a lot of the same shows. Walker is a great show.

+1

I was born in 1990 also. I remember watching Walker with my dad back in the day. Even the commercials today are all sexual. It doesn't seem to matter if you are watching ESPN or Disney Channel. I guess the corporations are at a loss for advertising ideas and can't think of anything unique, so they always go back to the "sex sells" idea. Personally, the only commercials that stick out to me are the funny ones. If a company wants to get my attention, make me laugh, that will be something I remember. Another ad with a half naked woman won't phase me, since all the women I see in my college classes are half naked anyway.

I suppose it's a generational difference. I simply have far better things to do than to sit around and mindlessly watching any television shows.

Our television is relegated to local weather and news only (and not much of that anymore). Beyond that the idiot box stays off, we stay off the couch, and we stay busy and active.

I'm quite sure I'd find any of those television shows incredibly boring.

Its not just television either. Magazines, stores, advertisements, etc all have to incorporate sexual innuendos. Nothings innocent anymore. Childrens movies have sexual innuendos in them.

Everything is so messed up. Between the whole sexual [censored] and the ideas that "Annorexic looking bones popping out" look with women (Men too) are going to be the fall of this country...

I just want to get out of a store, I don't care about the new tabloids on "Whos cheatin who and whos diet is in!"

What ever happened to hard working men who were built tough and woke up eating eggs and bacon and came home for dinner to fried chicken and beer yet worked so hard they were muscular and all man?
Now we have toothpick men with dreads who don't work, smoke weed, trying to impress women on their skateboard and live off of tax dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back