Never thought I would say this bout oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sixsix
Man, some of you guys are way too smart for me. I never claimed to be a math engineer or a statistical genius, just some [censored] that likes to track his fuel mileage. Thought I might have been on to something, guess not. Oh well, I'm going crawl back in my hole now.

Most of them aren't engineers or petroleum chemists, they just play one on the internet ...‚ Don't let that intimate you from contributing. Heck, I would say I know jack chitt about oil etc. but I don't allow that to intimidate me....I make mistakes but I live, I learn and read and hopefully contribute something every now and then that's worthwhile. The way I see it, if I knew it all I probably wouldn't have any use for this forum. (although it is entertaining to lob a grenade by saying something that's tantamount to heresy, and watch all the backyard engineers and chemists get spun up about it ...‚)

Flame🔥 suit on...

Last edited:
Man, some of you guys are way too smart for me. I never claimed to be a math engineer or a statistical genius, just some [censored] that likes to track his fuel mileage. Thought I might have been on to something, guess not. Oh well, I'm going crawl back in my hole now.

No credentials, just the Internet. Nevermind what is stated.

Black gold. Texas tea.

Stick around, you'll find out oil topics are a lot like politics and religion. Just like anywhere there are some good people on here, some jerks, and some know it alls. Regardless it's a fun place to read and contribute knowledge. Don't let anyone ruffle your feathers.

49.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
Originally Posted by Railrust
The things I've noticed that effect fuel economy are few, but weather is a big one with me. The colder it is, the worse my fuel economy gets. And if I use my heated seats or steering wheel, I can really see a difference...I can't average "good" fuel economy with those things on. AC too.

As far as oil goes...all I've noticed is some oils quiet the engine better than others, and some burn less oil than others. That's about it

Agree, the weather is a big factor on mileage, whether it be the temperature, precipitation, or wind conditions. Electrical and physical load on the engine does make a difference. I tried to do the same and kept records, and I found that the fuel shutoff at the pumps vary as much as one gallon or more, from pump to pump.

I see no difference in fuel economy using the air conditioning or heated seats or wheel. I do see slightly less economy in the winter but then again it has been discussed a great deal that winter blend gasoline reduces fuel economy slightly.

All this will vary in different vehicles so one statement doesn't apply across the board.

You must not looking very hard or have any tests comparisons yourself. There are plenty of studies on parasitic loads on an engine. Anything that draws energy/power from the engine, that does not contribute to propelling the vehicle down the road in the most efficient manner is a parasitic load. Reset your DIC average fuel mileage reading, drive the vehicle on 100 mile round trip, start/stop at the same location, no loads, AC, heat, lights, or accessories using a north/south route on a low use highway using cruise control. Reset the fuel mileage, turn on all the loads, heated seats, rear window defogger, AC, lights, high fan, stereo, and drive the same route on cruise control at the same speed. Should be done on the same day, back to back, with the same gas, same weather conditions, You will likely see a 1.5-3 mpg difference. Does not require 30 trips to see the difference. The change is more noticeable in vehicles with small engines such as your CX-5 or my Equinox.

I never said the same change in fuel efficiency would occur in every vehicle, but all vehicles will experience these parasitic loads. A 10% load on a small 4 cylinder making 170hp will see more of a loss, compared to the same model with V-6 that produces 300hp given the same load.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust
The things I've noticed that effect fuel economy are few, but weather is a big one with me. The colder it is, the worse my fuel economy gets. And if I use my heated seats or steering wheel, I can really see a difference...I can't average "good" fuel economy with those things on. AC too.

As far as oil goes...all I've noticed is some oils quiet the engine better than others, and some burn less oil than others. That's about it

Agree, the weather is a big factor on mileage, whether it be the temperature, precipitation, or wind conditions. Electrical and physical load on the engine does make a difference. I tried to do the same and kept records, and I found that the fuel shutoff at the pumps vary as much as one gallon or more, from pump to pump.

I see no difference in fuel economy using the air conditioning or heated seats or wheel. I do see slightly less economy in the winter but then again it has been discussed a great deal that winter blend gasoline reduces fuel economy slightly.

All this will vary in different vehicles so one statement doesn't apply across the board.

You must not looking very hard or have any tests comparisons yourself. There are plenty of studies on parasitic loads on an engine. Anything that draws energy/power from the engine, that does not contribute to propelling the vehicle down the road in the most efficient manner is a parasitic load. Reset your DIC average fuel mileage reading, drive the vehicle on 100 mile round trip, start/stop at the same location, no loads, AC, heat, lights, or accessories using a north/south route on a low use highway using cruise control. Reset the fuel mileage, turn on all the loads, heated seats, rear window defogger, AC, lights, high fan, stereo, and drive the same route on cruise control at the same speed. Should be done on the same day, back to back, with the same gas, same weather conditions, You will likely see a 1.5-3 mpg difference. Does not require 30 trips to see the difference. The change is more noticeable in vehicles with small engines such as your CX-5 or my Equinox.

I never said the same change in fuel efficiency would occur in every vehicle, but all vehicles will experience these parasitic loads. A 10% load on a small 4 cylinder making 170hp will see more of a loss, compared to the same model with V-6 that produces 300hp given the same load.

I've told you what I have experienced. I see no change in fuel economy when using the air conditioning. Today's AC compressors are very efficient for example.

I've told you what I have experienced. I see no change in fuel economy when using the air conditioning. Today's AC compressors are very efficient for example.

The AC systems requires considerable amps to drive the magnetic clutch, the interior fan. the highspeed fans on the condensor, as well as Body Control module to manage the system. Likely 25% of the current alternator capacity. That does include the HP needed to drive the compressor. If compressor were so efficient, they would not be the size they are and not driven by the engine.

How do you use your AC, where do you live. city or highway driving, how do you measure your fuel economy, how often, and many other factors that form your experience. I am not outside watching for meteor showers every night, maybe once a month for a few minutes, therefore I do not believe they occur very often based on my experience..

I would Not use Shell gas it's hard on the Fuel millage esp in the city MPg's

Use chevron I get 25-27MPG combined with my Tahoe hybrid 6.0L v8 which is pretty close to your Accord 4 banger

I noticed a difference when I switched from M1 AFE to Valvoline FS in my Civic. The engine was much quieter and idled smoother. I can't figure out why that is.

Originally Posted by Coastie05
I noticed a difference when I switched from M1 AFE to Valvoline FS in my Civic. The engine was much quieter and idled smoother. I can't figure out why that is.

All this talk of statistics and analysis is funny because most of us don't even posess the equipment, materials, or ability to actually carry it out in an effective way. I do what human beings naturally do, which is to take what info I've got and draw the best conclusion I can. That's life. It annoys the [censored] out of some Vulcans around here, but I don't get my shorts in a bunch over that.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
I would Not use Shell gas it's hard on the Fuel millage esp in the city MPg's

Use chevron I get 25-27MPG combined with my Tahoe hybrid 6.0L v8 which is pretty close to your Accord 4 banger

Which is why that was such a successful platform.......

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by Coastie05

All this talk of statistics and analysis is funny because most of us don't even posess the equipment, materials, or ability to actually carry it out in an effective way. I do what human beings naturally do, which is to take what info I've got and draw the best conclusion I can. That's life. It annoys the [censored] out of some Vulcans around here, but I don't get my shorts in a bunch over that.

I just had both ears chopped and lowered. Not all of-us Vulcans look alike, or act alike.
If Valvoline created a quieter engine, I believe it. The folks at Ashland (William Wulfsohn) have put together a real nice "Advanced Engine" formula. I'm using it next.

"If Valvoline created a quieter engine, I believe it. The folks at Ashland (William Wulfsohn) have put together a real nice "Advanced Engine" formula. I'm using it next."

Valvoline split off from Ashland a while back.

"If Valvoline created a quieter engine, I believe it. The folks at Ashland (William Wulfsohn) have put together a real nice "Advanced Engine" formula. I'm using it next."

Valvoline split off from Ashland a while back.

Who cares really Pim Tac. Ownership name mumbo-jumbo means nothing anyways. Names are used to either discredit or award the CEOs.
What matters is the product quality and the split has produced a better oil nowadays. UOAs and VOAs are very good to look at and read.

I didn't know the two have gone separate ways. You didn't mention the new ownership, so I'm assuming my new jug in the basement reads Oil made by Valvoline......OK. I didn't know Valvoline now produces their own base oils.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

Seriously. If we had to do all that crap nothing would ever get done. Practical, feasible datalogging is the only thing that's practical and feasible. If you did all that statistical testing, the probability of you making an error in your testing would be far greater than the probability of your assumption from simple testing being wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back