Never thought I would have done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just couldn't resist the temptation. I was at Advance Auto today and they had Mobil 1, all viscosities, at 4.28/qt. That's fifty cents less per qt. than Wally World. I've got enough Havoline 5w-20 for one more change which is coming up next week (car will have 5,000 miles) and now I guess I'll switch to M1 0w-20 at 10,000 miles and have it in for the winter months (and my next track even in October). Perfect
smile.gif

The el cheapo in me will most likely switch back to Havoline dino next spring and summer though
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OlManRivah:
Where do you live, Siberia?
What does your owner's manual say?
0-20w.......scares me.....lol!
dunno.gif

Why? Afraid it will be to thin at 40 below? The only difference between a 0W and 5W is the cold pumpability standards.
Vicosity requirements at 0C (32F) is the same.

I assume its a Honda, Mazda, or Ford that requires 5W-20.

Gene

quote:

dunno.gif

Owners manual says 5w-20 from about -10F to 110F. BTW...it's a Mazda.

Where have you been? Never heard of 5w-20 or 0w-20 before? Does 0w-30 also scare you?

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

quote:

dunno.gif

Owners manual says 5w-20 from about -10F to 110F. BTW...it's a Mazda.

Where have you been? Never heard of 5w-20 or 0w-20 before? Does 0w-30 also scare you?

Mike does that mean if temp gets to 111F you can change the oil with Mazda's blessing?

Gene

If the Dealer wants to press the issue, if your warrented engine fails, How are you going to defend using 0-20w?

Even if it's blessed by the Oil God, or your favorite Internet Forum.......

Why even take the chance, under warrenty.......
pat.gif

quote:

If the Dealer wants to press the issue, if your warrented engine fails, How are you going to defend using 0-20w?

Why even take the chance, under warranty.......
pat.gif

This is to tthe best of my knowledge and anyone who has better info feel free to correct me:

Every 0W-20 oil also meets every 5W-20 specification. There is no minimum 0C or cold Cranking Spec, just a maximum for 5W-20. So by definition any 0W-20 would also be a 5W-20. It would make life easier if M1 would note the fact on the bottle though.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

quote:

Why even take the chance, under warranty.......
pat.gif

This is to tthe best of my knowledge and anyone who has better info feel free to correct me:

Every 0W-20 oil also meets every 5W-20 specification. There is no minimum 0C or cold Cranking Spec, just a maximum for 5W-20. So by definition any 0W-20 would also be a 5W-20. It would make life easier if M1 would note the fact on the bottle though.

Gene

M1 0w-20 does satisfy (probably exceed) the Ford (and Honda) factory spec for motor oil and it does say so on the bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
Mike does that mean if temp gets to 111F you can change the oil with Mazda's blessing?

Gene

LOL...who the heck knows anymore. Both Ford and Mazda have been so masterful at obfuscating the viscosity issue that even Johnny Cochran and the Dream Team would be hard pressed to make anything of it. All I do know is that my Ford dealer looks to mention the type of oil at any possible chance. Although I've not been to the Mazda service dept. yet, I suspect they've been given their talking points by Ford corporate as well.

During the warranty period I'll continue to use what they recommend until I have good reason to do otherwise. I'm also going under the assumption (I hate that word) that a top quality synthetic like Mobil1 will bolster the protection and hi-temp sheer stability that some feel may be suspect in a 20w oil.

BTW...if it gets over 110f here in northwest , NJ I'm moving! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back