Never really liked the look of the G80 M3 until I saw this one

One of my fellow Bimmerpost forum members just picked up his G80 M3. Finished in Oxford Green over Tartufo Full Merino Leather. I think I'm in love :love:

Definitely on my cars bucket list. Not sure if it'll be an E9x generation M3 or new. But, I can't really afford either right now 😅

I saw the 17 years in the making. It's worth it. My 335i in Dec 2006 was 11 years in the making, ordered it and waited 10 weeks. My then g/f who's my wife now could not understand, in 12/06, people would give me thumbs up and ask me about the E92. imho anything decent is worth waiting for. I've never had a car with full leather but might someday.

Now that I've junked my 1998 car (today), there's another spot in the driveway for an addition

From that link, this is the one i like. But on the G80 M3, it has grown on me and that one is spectacular.

1676402432545.jpg

always like the looks of the G80 - but on the last two I just loosened the bolts and the gear oil drained like that 👀😷

From that link, this is the one i like. But on the G80 M3, it has grown on me and that one is spectacular.

View attachment 140453
I go to the dealer 1x per year for a state inspection. They charge $38 out the door, a garage with a $29.95 coupon, $43. Go figure. I no longer have gotten a loaner since the pandemic, my car is a 2007. This Dec. they had the M4 CSL which had a $136k sticker hahahahahahahah They had the M3 you show, and also a 1988? M5. I could see both were not perfect, though, had body work. Oh, btw, my inspection went up by $1 over 2021. I looked at the invoice and the town surcharges the use of the car wash $1 lol

I saw the 17 years in the making. It's worth it. My 335i in Dec 2006 was 11 years in the making, ordered it and waited 10 weeks. My then g/f who's my wife now could not understand, in 12/06, people would give me thumbs up and ask me about the E92. imho anything decent is worth waiting for. I've never had a car with full leather but might someday.

Now that I've junked my 1998 car (today), there's another spot in the driveway for an addition
I've always wanted an M3. I had a chance to buy one when I sold my E90. But, ended up with the 540. Hopefully, in a couple of years (maybe 10 years.. I'm 25 right now 😅 )I'll be able to afford a new M3. For right now, a kid can dream huh

Last edited:
I've always wanted an M3. I had a chance to buy one when I sold my E90. But, ended up with the 540. Hopefully, in a couple of years (maybe 10 years.. I'm 25 right now 😅 )I'll be able to afford a new M3. For right now, I kid can dream huh
I have to admit, today it seems paltry. My 2007 335i which I ordered in Oct. 2006, I managed to get $1800 off list--most dealers wanted list and some $500 off list. It was by allocation only, no dealer in the nation had one to sell. So it was $44,600 before taxes. When the M3 was released it was around $54k base--it would have been worth every penny to get the V8 over mine. Although mine has been problem free all these years, likely the E92 M3 would have required more to maintain. I still may do it, but it is a bummer only the base M3/M4 gets a stick.

Also going down memory lane, dealer told me forgot to add Training and MACO fees, you need to redo the paperwork. I was so angry I said I don't need to redo anything, you can give the allocation to someone else. They came back and said you don't have to redo.

One of my fellow Bimmerpost forum members just picked up his G80 M3. Finished in Oxford Green over Tartufo Full Merino Leather. I think I'm in love :love:

Definitely on my cars bucket list. Not sure if it'll be an E9x generation M3 or new. But, I can't really afford either right now 😅

I still can not get over the front grill and where the rear wheel arch meets the rear door. Huge design fails and the coordinated efforts between BMW, Influencers looking to retain access at the feed trough, and sites like Bimmerpost who allegedly deleted posts of dissatisfaction and replaced them with corporate plants almost made me sell my car.

Interestingly we'll probably never know how well the current generation of M3/M4 is selling compared to previous models because iirc BMW combined sales of "M-line" cars (ex, M340i, X3 M40i) under all of M.

Be happy you avoided the S65 (E90/92 M3). It's a huge hassle and parts like coil-on-plug are becoming difficult to find. Personally unless you're into rebuilding engines like @Sreten and have a lot of $$ to throw at it I would avoid any used M3.

Last edited:
I've always wanted an M3. I had a chance to buy one when I sold my E90. But, ended up with the 540. Hopefully, in a couple of years (maybe 10 years.. I'm 25 right now 😅 )I'll be able to afford a new M3. For right now, I kid can dream huh
You're only 25, let me give you the advice that was given to me.

The president of my employer retired, so when he came by, I said hey Joe, you have a 911 Carrera S (997), right? I always wanted one, but I think that ship sailed.

He told me no it didn't. It took me 30 years to get mine, you have plenty of time.

And so do you on the M3!

I like everything about the G80 M3 except the grill, although I would be able to accept it. I didn't like the M4 CSL either but a local-ish BMW dealer my friend bought his M235i from had one on the showroom floor and it looked way better in person compared to any photo. The same dealership chain also had their porsche building across the street with a 918 in it 🥲

We need the Touring. Take the Touring and lower it a bit and it will look hot. For some reason, the G80 sits high on the wheels.

cq5dam.resized.img.980.medium.time1655848255509.jpg
Agree but BMW always said that when it comes to family haulers their customers want the X5/X3 and they'll buy the M version. Proof is in BMW sales. SUV's dominate the US market.

I'll just be kind and brief, and say it's not for me, for myriad reasons, aesthetically, technically and philosophically.

BMW is chasing a different audience than it did a couple decades or so ago, the cars have become less distinctive relative to the competition in many respects, and in others, like the styling, overzealous and polarizing on purpose.

I'll take that nice E30 M3 pictured all day, any day, even though it's old, and wasn't even the fastest or most powerful when it sat on the showroom floor.

It was built for a specific purpose, backed that up with its results, and had an enduring appeal that's now reflected in their values on the used market.

Thirty years from now, how much of its original price will a ratty, overly modded G80 command? A rarer, pristine model? I doubt it will look like this (original MSRP $35k), even accounting for the market, and asking prices on places like that, or CCA ad listings.

PCD looks like a nice experience, and is great to have, but the elimnination of ED for U.S. buyers also speaks to BMW's current priorities.

I still can not get over the front grill and where the rear wheel arch meets the rear door. Huge design fails and the coordinated efforts between BMW, Influencers looking to retain access at the feed trough, and sites like Bimmerpost who allegedly deleted posts of dissatisfaction and replaced them with corporate plants almost made me sell my car.

Interestingly we'll probably never know how well the current generation of M3/M4 is selling compared to previous models because iirc BMW combined sales of "M-line" cars (ex, M340i, X3 M40i) under all of M.

Be happy you avoided the S65 (E90/92 M3). It's a huge hassle and parts like coil-on-plug are becoming difficult to find. Personally unless you're into rebuilding engines like @Sreten and have a lot of $$ to throw at it I would avoid any used M3.
But on the other hand you can't join the BMW M owners forum unless you have a true M car; my F22 M235i didn't pass muster. At least I can join the AMG forum even though I only own an AMG lite.
One thing that I really dislike about the newer BMWs is the widescreen digital dash. I can tolerate the awkward design, but I hate having many of the buttons/switches moved to the touchscreen.
I reluctantly accepted the reality that from the F10 on you had to pay extra to get a BMW that performed the way ALL BMWs used to perform, but now Munich also makes you take a thick rancid slice of ugly styling as well.

sites like Bimmerpost who allegedly deleted posts of dissatisfaction and replaced them with corporate plants
That's not really what happened. They banned people who trolled almost every thread on the car and incessantly crapped up threads with hate on the grille, making the G8x subforum threads barely readable. I'm with them because it became extremely tiresome. Maybe they hit a few people that didn't deserve it, but I watched it unfold and can't say I miss any of the jerks that now show Banned in their profile.

+1

That color would look good on a garbage truck.
People get a hard-on for any Individual color. If you saw this on a Toyota Avalon no one would look twice.

It already comes in a much better green (IMO) and you don't have to pay $5000 for it. Color is subjective though, and I enjoy reading the delivery threads where people pick up cars they specified and ordered. Much cooler than settling for something on the lot.

Hmm... that color does hide the sin, but the design is sort of grotesque ...

Still it is an M car, much will be forgotten about the looks when driven in anger...

I'd rather have a nice EvoII and some change - not the Mitsubushi kind... or the Mercedes kind tho that would be tolerable....

People get a hard-on for any Individual color. If you saw this on a Toyota Avalon no one would look twice.

It already comes in a much better green (IMO) and you don't have to pay $5000 for it. Color is subjective though, and I enjoy reading the delivery threads where people pick up cars they specified and ordered. Much cooler than settling for something on the lot.
I do like the delivery, I think it is a really cool experience. I like that particular green, and have seen a similar green on tan combo on a few e46 sedans. I wouldn't pay that much extra for the color (probably why my car is boring white haha).

That's not really what happened. They banned people who trolled almost every thread on the car and incessantly crapped up threads with hate on the grille, making the G8x subforum threads barely readable. I'm with them because it became extremely tiresome. Maybe they hit a few people that didn't deserve it, but I watched it unfold and can't say I miss any of the jerks that now show Banned in their profile.

Yes and no. I frequent bimmerpost and they do a lot of both. They ban people who frequent every thread to cause problems (rightfully so) but also seem to ban people at the drop of a hat for a first offense with a comment they don't agree with. I don't frequent the G8x forums though.

Back