Never ending Ranger problems-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, the problems never seem to stop.
I recently had a coolant leak, had my Sirius take a dump, had a pilot bearing go bad on me, then I had the strange rear end leak that I MacGyvered with permatex.

So the rear main I installed with the clutch a bit over a month ago didn't play nice with the deep groove in the crank, and caused oil to burn off the converters- had some smoke yesterday. So back at it today.

e972ND.jpg

i2qQ8A.jpg

So I found a company called Silver Seal that has MicroSleeves for the truck

tPiinJ.jpg

E7Vhs2.jpg

Here is the rear main with the sleeve already installed
(Sorry no picture of the groove, but it was deep)
3lYmEJ.jpg

Yay!! Weird rear end leak seems to be doing ok... Thanks to some help from Permatex.
3w3NbI.jpg

New Victor Reinz seal this time. Didn't care too much for the FelPro (National seal in the box- hecho)
This seal is made in Tiawan
BWi2Q9.jpg

Here are the clutch components (they have just under 3000 miles on them
D5AtHt.jpg

Clutch disc- still looks like it is nowhere near broken in.
OUmSXc.jpg

You can still see the writing on the other side of the disc.
Sv6bhy.jpg

Still have slight shudder when not pressing the gas- Luk tech support says it is completely normal.
AND NOW I HAVE THE SYNCHRO CHIRP!!! This will be the third replacement... Argh!!!!

So sore right now... I'm getting too old for this!

Maybe you should change your screen name to "ButtKickedByRanger"
laugh.gif

Just kidding, of course. Good work. I've never used one of those sleeves before.

I had an 86' Ranger... What a pile LOL. I'm sure it's not even close to being similar to newer ones but it and my mom's 03' Focus made me lose all respect for Ford automobiles.

Never again. Not once, but to each their own.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Maybe you should change your screen name to "ButtKickedByRanger"
laugh.gif

Yeah, no kidding... Lol!!

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Just kidding, of course. Good work. I've never used one of those sleeves before.

Yup, first time for me. I have heard of the groove problem, but never though I'd have such a deep groove.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had an 86' Ranger... What a pile LOL. I'm sure it's not even close to being similar to newer ones but it and my mom's 03' Focus made me lose all respect for Ford automobiles.

Good luck!

It's been very good to me, hardly any issues (until recently) but it turned 329K yesterday...

Oh, and two new back tires 2 weeks ago...

Be sure to use only Motorcraft replacement for the camshaft synchro, even though they cost about twice as much. Everything else just doesn't seem to hold up.

That truck is a champ with 329k miles! My buddy had a 2001 Ranger 4.0 SOHC 4x4. It was a great truck. He sold it with 200k miles on it and the only issues he had were a leaking axle seal in the 8.8 rear end and a bad alternator.

Got any pics of the truck?

Originally Posted By: jimbeamalki
Be sure to use only Motorcraft replacement for the camshaft synchro, even though they cost about twice as much. Everything else just doesn't seem to hold up.

Only Motorcrafts!!

Originally Posted By: Trav
What did you use for a sealer/retainer on the sleeve? I use Loctite 660 or an anaerobic sealer.

Instructions said not to use anything. (line 2)
mx9BtZ.jpg

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Got any pics of the truck?

Here is one from about a year and a half ago.

pXwiFz.jpg

Originally Posted By: Trav
What did you use for a sealer/retainer on the sleeve? I use Loctite 660 or an anaerobic sealer.

Just what I was wondering. I've used Loctite RC609, but many different products will work. I keep a can of primer handy also, for those tough situations.

The first time i used one of these it weeped between the sleeve and the shaft so i have been using a sealer ever since.
The OP's instructions say not to use it so i wont second guess it.

From SKF..
Quote:
4. Shallow wear grooves do not require filling. Optionally, a light layer of a non-hardening sealant, e.g. Loctite 209,
can be applied to the inside diameter surface of the sleeve. Clean away sealant that migrates to the shaft or
sleeve outside diameter surface.
5. If the shaft is deeply scored (see note above) fill the groove with a powdered metal epoxy type filler*. Install the
sleeve before the filler hardens, allowing the sleeve to wipe off any excess filler. Clean away any remaining filler
from the sleeve outside diameter surface.

http://www.skf.com/binary/81-61918/TT08_021.pdf

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger

Good luck!

It's been very good to me, hardly any issues (until recently) but it turned 329K yesterday...

Funny...the "Ford is junk" crowd comes out to dog a truck with 329K miles on it. Only 130K miles more than the four banger Camry the basher "had to throw in the towel on."

Yes, Rangers are junk, Ford is junk. Nothing to see here.
grin.gif

Mine has leaked from the rear main for a long time now. I'm just going to leave it alone as long as possible. Right now I actually don't have to add much oil at all, maybe half a quart to a quart between changes (roughly 6K mile intervals). Just going to let it do its thing unless it becomes a once a week top off or something.

The good thing about the cam synchro is, once you've done it, it's a piece of cake. It is annoying, but at least it's a 30 minute fix if you have done one before.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Good luck!

Funny...the "Ford is junk" crowd comes out to dog a truck with 329K miles on it. Only 130K miles more than the four banger Camry the basher "had to throw in the towel on."

grin.gif

Mine has leaked from the rear main for a long time now. I'm just going to leave it alone as long as possible. Right now I actually don't have to add much oil at all, maybe half a quart to a quart between changes (roughly 6K mile intervals). Just going to let it do its thing unless it becomes a once a week top off or something.

The good thing about the cam synchro is, once you've done it, it's a piece of cake. It is annoying, but at least it's a 30 minute fix if you have done one before.

His signature says nothing about it's mileage. It could have been having these issues at 30,000 miles. How was I supposed to know?

So sore right now... I'm getting too old for this!

Turning wrenches on cars is good exercise.
smile.gif

Good luck!

grin.gif

His signature says nothing about it's mileage. It could have been having these issues at 30,000 miles. How was I supposed to know?

Ask how many miles before "Ford sucks"? Unlikely to have 30K miles at 12 years old.

I was mostly just giving ribbing back, and just about every brand gets bashed here, but it would be akin to me saying "never again, not once, to each their own" with regards to the GMs I deal with.

Trust me, leave it alone. My leak wasn't bad at all, you could sometimes smell it off the converter, but after I attempted the first repair, it got pretty bad to where you could see the smoke. (The first seal I installed may have not liked how it was installed)

After the first synchro went out, a Ford mechanic at the dealer let me borrow the tool, and right away I then ordered the OTC tool.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That is one very clean looking truck.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!! I haven't washed it but about two or three times this season. (water shortage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back