Never done an oil change before. Two questions: is a plastic washer ok with a new oil plug as shown in the picture? And how do you do an engine flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this oil plug from Amazon for $5. Is a plastic washer OK? Is there a place where I can buy this for cheaper? And lastly, I ordered the AmSoil Flush. How do you use it? I was going to warm up the car, remove the old filter and put on a cheap filter, empty the oil completely, then put the flush through the engine on the top where the oil would normally go and just wait for it to drain while it's unplugged. Is that the right way? Thanks.

A650161A-EE65-4BC4-A8D1-B8023460244A.jpeg

Why did you buy a new oil pan drain plug? Something wrong with the old one? What kind of car?

Read the instructions on the product bottle. I doubt pouring anything while drain plug is off would do anything.
I wouldn't use plastic washer they crack easy and will leak.

Unless the drain plug is damaged you don’t have to change it. But It’s a good idea to change the crush washer. I don’t think I’d use a plastic washer though. Amazon sells a bag of 10 or more crush washers for under $10. I just got a bag of 20 for my car and change the washer each time I change the oil.

The bottle of engine flush would have instructions. They probably will tell you to add it to your oil and idle the car for a while then drain everything out, change the filter and add your new oil. Don’t just pour it through the engine, that won’t do a thing.

Unless the drain plug is damaged you don’t have to change it. But It’s a good idea to change the crush washer. I don’t think I’d use a plastic washer though. Amazon sells a bag of 10 or more crush washers for under $10. I just got a bag of 20 for my car and change the washer each time I change the oil.

The bottle of engine flush would have instructions. They probably will tell you to add it to your oil and idle the car for a while then drain everything out, change the filter and add your new oil. Don’t just pour it through the engine, that won’t do a thing.
Thank you sir!!

I haven't looked at the oil plug yet. Would a stainless steel one with a strong magnet be worth it?
A61E9D2E-4FA3-4565-8A5D-2B48BBC5D595.jpg

Assuming this post is for real (even though it's posted on April 1).

I've never replaced a drain plug. A plastic washer is fine. But then so are aluminum washers and (dare I even mention this) no washer at all.

I've never done an engine flush in a few hundred oil changes.

The things to watch for are (1) double gasketing (the old oil filter gasket stays attached to the engine, and now with 2 gaskets you're only minutes away from losing all your oil) (2) cross threading the drain plug, (3) over-tightening/stripping the drain plug, (4) getting the order mixed up and dumping your new oil on the ground, (5) over-tightening the oil filter so much you have trouble getting it off next time.

Assuming this post is for real (even though it's posted on April 1).

I've never replaced a drain plug. A plastic washer is fine. But then so are aluminum washers and (dare I even mention this) no washer at all.

I've never done an engine flush in a few hundred oil changes.

The things to watch for are (1) double gasketing (the old oil filter gasket stays attached to the engine, and now with 2 gaskets you're only minutes away from losing all your oil) (2) cross threading the drain plug, (3) over-tightening/stripping the drain plug, (4) getting the order mixed up and dumping your new oil on the ground, (5) over-tightening the oil filter so much you have trouble getting it off next time.
Thank you! I'll be doing my first oil change when I get the shipment in. I am worried about over tightening the oil plug.

Thank you! I'll be doing my first oil change when I get the shipment in. I am worried about over tightening the oil plug.
Use a torque wrench.

I used to tighten it by feel but nowadays I use a torque wrench. My rule of thumb (pun intended) was to use my fingers and a short wrench to tighten the plug. When I tighten it by feel and then check with the torque wrench it generally need a bit more torque (which is about right).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back