Never buying "fuel" or "comfort" type tires ever again

Status
Not open for further replies.
{rant alert}
I recently replaced tires on the Accord with GY Comfortred Touring. and the new Volt came with Mich FuelMax tires (oem stock). Both of these tires are absolutely horrendous at traction and handling. Even with the slightest attempt at spirited driving they chirp and squirm. Both the Accord V6 and Volt, especially in Sport mode, are quite responsive and it has completely ruined the driving experience for me. I'd rather trade in a few dollars for gas rather than having to drive like that.
Thus, I have come to the conclusion, never ever will I buy any tires that have the words "fuel" or "comfort" in their names.

While I don't believe all fuel efficiency tires are created equal, what you've expressed is kind of to be expected. By decreasing rolling resistance they are inherently reducing traction and grip. You'll notice that many times these LRR tires are also at the back of the pack when it comes to braking distance.

I purchased some GY Comfortred touring tires at the begging of the year for the CRV. They where so badly flat spotted that DT had to replace them. Ended up with some continentals.
I couldn't believe the shaking from such an expensive goodyear. I don't think Goodyear is what it used to be.

Are you still within a return window? That'd be a shame for you to be unhappy for the life of that tire.

I have had GY ComforTred before, didn't like them.

I've bought three sets of Goodyear ComforTred Touring tires, and had installed on three different vehicles... and all three sets have exceeded my expectations.

In fact, they are the only tire that I've went out and bought three sets. They do exactly what I expect, over and over and over.

Tires can't accommodate all aspects of use - dry handling, wet handling, fuel economy, tread life, ride comfort, etc. Want good tread life, you give up handling. Want good handling, you give up fuel economy. This isn't the first thing that automakers have done (had to do ?) to improve fuel economy values.

I abandoned Goodyear after the Triple treads I got a few years ago. What junk.

Buying tires for fuel economy? Comfort? How about buying tires for traction? Isn't that what they are all about?

The GY DuraTracs on my 06 Colorado were awesome. No complaints.

The GY WeatherReadys on my sons 15 Escape are also awesome. No complaints.

Ditto the Continentals on my 17 SantaFe and my wife's 13 Mazda3.

Never once bought them for improved fuel economy or comfort. Only for traction in our copious amounts of rain and in our occasional wet/icy snow.

P7 Cinturato Plus for the Accord and Nokian enTyre 2.0 for the Volt. Both should be big improvements in traction, quiet, and improve handling. The enTyres may not last their stated 60 or 80k miles; Nokian offered huge adjustments for the first production runs and supposedly fixed the issue later; unknown if the fix worked long-term.

They are not for human consumption. I assume that the manufacturer uses them to hit MPG targets so that's why they are on there. Who would want a tire that has less grip but probably gives a marginal at best MPG increase in the real world?

A lot of new cars seem to come with off brand tires now unless they are a performance model. My dad's 2017 Sprinter has OEM Nexens I think and they are half worn with around 20000 km. I saw them when a tire shop put snowies on the rear axle only old man style!

Originally Posted by sloinker
I abandoned Goodyear after the Triple treads I got a few years ago. What junk.

Agreed. I was ecstatic over them initially. After 30,000 miles they fell right off the cliff.

I bought some GY comforttreds for my Grand Marquis. They felt better at first than the Goodyear Invictas they replaced but every 5,000 miles need to be balanced otherwise they shake really bad. Never had a tire lose balance so quickly normally I don't rebalance for 25,000 or more miles because they don't shake. Won't be buying these ever again.

Originally Posted by youdontwannaknow
{rant alert}I recently replaced tires on the Accord with GY Comfortred Touring. and the new Volt came with Mich FuelMax tires (oem stock).
Michelin doesn't make a "FuelMax" tire. Were they the Goodyear FuelMax tires?

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I've bought three sets of Goodyear ComforTred Touring tires, and had installed on three different vehicles... and all three sets have exceeded my expectations.

In fact, they are the only tire that I've went out and bought three sets. They do exactly what I expect, over and over and over.

Sometimes you have to match the tire to the car.

Just like I wouldnt put a summer max performance tire on my Jeep, I wouldnt put these on a camero etc.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by youdontwannaknow
{rant alert}I recently replaced tires on the Accord with GY Comfortred Touring. and the new Volt came with Mich FuelMax tires (oem stock).

The michelins are called energy saver.

The Comforttread touring is a pretty old tire design, released around 2010. Tire technology has improved a lot since then. I liked my Michelin MXM's until winter hit (terrible) and had better luck with Michelin Premier A/S (wore out quickly but better in snow) and the new (2018 release) Conti PureContact LS tires I have are even better. I'd just get whatever tire is rated best for your weather conditions at the time.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Ran a set on the Fusion and did well … put DT special after that … not so good …
Have Goodyear Assurance on the Cruze … made that ride smoother over the Conti … too soon to tell on miles …

I think the key is getting performance tires. Even on my weak stock Corolla, its a huge difference in traction on both wet and dry. Go with a tire rated AA for traction. You will not get as much life out of them but who cares. To me, tires are the most important thing i put on my car.

Originally Posted by redhat
Are you still within a return window? That'd be a shame for you to be unhappy for the life of that tire.

I have had GY ComforTred before, didn't like them.

I am afraid, it is going to be a shame.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

I stand corrected, its "EnergySaver". well thats two more words to the exclusion list - any tire with the word "energy" or "saver" also in its name.

My large 4WD SUV came with energy saving tires and 0w20 ... we've gone green ... LoL ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back