Never been a Valvoline man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to say that Castrol GTX & oil filter fo $10.99 on sale at Pep Boys right now FYI (saw a commercial today).

And I am also a self-taught "shade tree" mechanic (meaning I have done stuff as hard as pulling my tranny, etc.), but I have no formal training and have never done it as an official job but I was in parts & service in jobs so I have been around the auto repair thing plenty.

And Steve I too am a self-taught computer guy and it is true that many who hold certs are paper MCSE's, etc...funny that I work in computer industry but do have an ASE auto A/C cert & never been a mechanic LOL.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Napa has their "house Brand" on sale for 1.99/quart this month. Its rebadged Valvoline Prem Conv. I plan on stocking up.

+1

If you want the High Mileage variety it is on sale too, $2.79 per quart. I use Napa conventional in my truck and gf's car. No problems at all.

OT, Proselect filters are on sale this month too.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
I am for Auto A/C anyway :)

I have to remember that!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114

I have to remember that!
thumbsup2.gif

Well as a former parts counter guy for several years, I wanted to know more and also have the ability to leaglly purchase R12, so I took the test. Nothing special to my skills and I am not an A/C mechanic, but I have replaced a couple compressors and retrofitted and/or charged & leak tested many vehicles for friends & family, so if I could help I would, but I have to make it known my experience is limited
cheers3.gif

I am an IT guy who knows about cars, but I'd rather make a living as a car guy who knows about IT LOL

A good friend of mine took his son camping in the Allegheny National Forest a week ago. They wandered around the area and came to a place that had a Valvoline oil sign outside a oil rig. I asked him if he had inquired if actual PA crude was used in Valvoline. He said he was told that it was.

Also signs for Ashland next to the well.

What do you guys think?

Anytime Stevie. It's great to have such a great dad isn't it. In this world we live in that seems so rare. The bond forged between father, son and a torque wrench really has no equal!
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
So is the extra moly in the max-life enough to worry about sludge or is the cleaning effect of 30% GP-III enough to off-set that?

I am struggling here if I should use Pennzoil HM instead? This is a sludge-prone motor (magnum v8)but I do change the oil as I should and keep a fresh PCV valve in it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

I have to remember that!
thumbsup2.gif

Well as a former parts counter guy for several years, I wanted to know more and also have the ability to leaglly purchase R12, so I took the test. Nothing special to my skills and I am not an A/C mechanic, but I have replaced a couple compressors and retrofitted and/or charged & leak tested many vehicles for friends & family, so if I could help I would, but I have to make it known my experience is limited
cheers3.gif

I am an IT guy who knows about cars, but I'd rather make a living as a car guy who knows about IT LOL

You and I both, IT is so boring and seems like everyone has a stick up their butts lately. Tinkering with my Xterra is really my only joy during the day besides seeing my fiance. PC's used to be a hobby and now BLAH. Swapped out my OE Nissan shocks(GARBAGE) fronts/rears were shot at 35k. Put in the rear Bilstein's and took me like 45 minutes to swap em out. The front's were changed about a month ago. Doing my own work on my Xterra is more gratifying than getting kudos for a job well done at work. Wish I won the lotto, i'd work on my X everyday!

Last edited:
Yeah one does tend to get a sense of a job well done when doing things one his/her own vehicles; especially something like shocks where u know the avg sheep is getting scr3wed by the shop at a 30% mark-up on the parts and the bolts over or under torqued LOL.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Anytime Stevie. It's great to have such a great dad isn't it. In this world we live in that seems so rare. The bond forged between father, son and a torque wrench really has no equal!
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Couldn't agree more...
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back