Neutra and gas mileage BOTTOMED out..Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Not really. In the crankcase it acts as an ester based cleaner as esters will do.

During combustion, the components decompose into cresyl acid and alcohol to clean the combustion chamber.

:doh:

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
5.7 miles per gallon? Sounds like someone gas was drained from the tank. I doubt it would run well running that rich and not set off the service engine light.

Well, I am open to suggestions. I have checked and had a friend of mine do a visual at his house (he is the lead tech at a Ford shop.) He found nothing visually as in leaks. He is as ????ed as I am. He drove it and said it performed better than most 4.6s which made him wonder even more what is up. By the way, back to work today, at 141 miles I am now under 1/4 tank. My friend does not believe it is the Neutra either, in fact he had very good things to say about Neutra specifically and Shaeffers in general.

Still searching..... My dealer called me today and offered me an F250 with a V10, at a $6000 discount. Someone ordered it then backed out. I don't think the V10 would ease my consumption problems but I have been shopping pretty hard for a new truck. Really want a diesel but a $6000 discount is sort of hard to say no to.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
Bob, surely it can't have nil effect on the octane rating of the fuel.

So you're saying that it has an equivalent octane in the high 80s ?

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that neutra does not have any kind of octane boost of any sort. If it was to have that, then it couldn't be used in the oil as a purge in p/s, Trans or any other part other than just gas.

It is purley an acid neutrilizer, decarbonizer/cleaner, and lubricant. That's it in a nutshell. The increase in performance/mileage that people experience is due to the cleaning that has occurred on the injectors and cyl's.

i'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that there was a gas issue.

we just had a little ditty up here where a local filling station had to replace several fuel systems because of bad (sour) gas. that instance ate up a lot of fuel pumps / filters / injectors.

while it could be an octane thing, i'd think that would be a more incremental loss, versus the 50% barf.

while it's probably too late, i'd keep the tank topped off to dilute any evil that is residing in your tank.

hope it works out for you.

Okay then. Refilled with Texaco 87 octane, used Neutra 1 bottle for 27 gallons. I am still sitting on full after 72 miles of driving with the A/C on, extended idle time etc.

It had to be the Shell high octane gas. I don't know how or why. My wife reports the same from the 87 octane Phillips she has been getting. I did not Neutra dose her. I wanted to see how one did with, one without. Both of our mileages have gone back pretty much to normal. Only difference being, not using Shell high octane gas.

Sorry Bob and anyone else that thought I was condeming Neutra as the cause. Now, I would very much appreciate an educated/semi-educated guess as to which was the cause. Was it the brand of gas (Shell) or the high octane used in low compression motors? Thanks for all of the feedback. Bob, this forum is worth a donation to me. On it's way.

A.Guy
I am glad that you finally discovered the cause. I am sure you will be happy with the future results using the 131. I would like to see you take delivery of the Schaeffer's oil and let us know how it works for you.

Guy,

Lots of things could have gone wrong, and it could have been as simple as the tank truck making the delivery to that station was contaminated with something from its previous load. Running higher octane gasoline than needed is a waste of money, but won't cause the problem you had.

Ken

Just added 12oz of neutra 131 into my camry 00' 2.2L 4cyl.

Noticed. A drop from 30mpg to 27.5. Consistent driving habits, gas station. 98% freeway.

So much for " Increase mileage with Shell "

CRW
patriot.gif

[ November 23, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Christopher R. Wise ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back