Neutra and gas mileage BOTTOMED out..Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I have done differently is added two 12 oz bottles of Neutra to my tank. 98 F150, 4.6 with 30# tank. I added two bottles to a full tank of Shell 93. I kid you not, I am at 1/2 tank in 87 miles. You read it right, 15 gallons gone in 87 miles. No, there is no leak. No, I am not towing anything. Yes, I have run the A/C a little, that isn't constant.

Anyone know what is going on here? This can't be normal. This stuff is supposed to increase mileage, not cut it buy 60%. The truck runs fine otherwise, actually, a little better than before.

The air filter, oil change, plugs, plug wires are all fairly new. In fact, I added a dose to my wifes van, she told me her milage has nosedived too. Almost by half. One tank of gas will get her to work and back for two weeks (average 645 miles.) She is at 287 miles now and under 1/2 tank. She bitched me out wondering what I did to her van.

Any help??????? Thanks.... //AG

That's a real bummer about your MPG crashing like that.I can't think of any OBVIOUS reason for it.
confused.gif

Seems like a former member Troy_Heagy had a similar problem with another product that has been talked-about on the board.
I'll ask Bob his opinion about this.

Mark

Whenever I used Neutra in the fuel it seemed to always INCREASE the fuel mileage. Perhaps there is some sort of mechanical problem with your vehicle.

I really can't imagine any "in the tank" treatments effecting fuel mileage either way, that much. 12 oz in 15 gallons....is not that much (128x15=1920 oz) 0.625%...strange.

[ June 24, 2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Most likely it's one of your emission controls components. The oxygen sensor is the most common problem in that regard, so try checking or changing it. I don't know whether the neutra could have caused or contributed to it, but there is the potential.

[ June 24, 2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: rpn453 ]

well, isn't it odd that this happened to two different vehicles, at the same time, the only thing being common was Neutra?

A. Guy,

I have to say that it really has me wondering what the deal is here as not only being the first case I've personally heard had this kind of gas mileage loss all of a sudden but in two seperate vehicles at the same time. The design of Nuetra is NOT to increase mileage but to clean and lubricate which in turn will normally bring your equipment back to normal running condition pre carbon buildup.

Knowing what neutra is, the minor quanity that is used in the amount of fuel you are running, I'm having a hard time seeing what is going on as well.

Do both of you use the same fuel station? If so, both buy gas around the same time? If so, was there rain during that week? Is it possible that the fuel you got off that station pumped water? Open your fuel line up and pull some out into a glass to see if water is present. Yes, Neutra can help with water but limited amounts if this is the case.

Does either show or exihibit black exhaust smoke when starting or when gasing on it heavily? Is the engine(s) running poorly? This could be indicative of an oxygen sensor.

To have both go down at the same time is just to hard to imagine with the history of this product but the other common denominator is the actual fuel purchased from where ever you buy at as a possiblity and that CAN cause extreme fuel mileage loss.

Check out the fuel and let me know what you find.

Bob

That's just crazy. If I were you I'd pull some plugs to see if you're really running as rich as the mileage figures would suggest.

Mebbe someone siphoned gas from your tanks?

FWIW, I just tried Neutra, a bottle to 22.5 gal tank, 2 tank fulls ago.No noticeable driveability improvement or problem, mileage normal(me thinks its actually improved just a bit but I'll give it more time(tank fulls) to really see).

A.Guy One little question. Do you and your wife leave your Vehicles out during the night? Are your fuel tanks easily accessible? Easily accessible I mean non locking door or cap. I would suspect that someone is siphoning gas out at night while your sleeping.
Because unless your truck has a Blown 460 ci with twin 1150 cfm 4 bbl carbs and 4.56 rear gears with no over drive there is no physical way you could be eating that much gas.
Your getting a little better mileage than 351 ci Nascar Grand National Taurus running 195 mph at Daytona.

So many questions. Both vehicles are in a locked garage at night. We both use the same fuel, that being Shell 93. That is relatively new for both of us, before that we both used Texaco 89. However, we switched to Shell a few tanks before we used the Neutra. There was no noticable difference in the mileage when we switched. (The Texaco up the street became a Shell literally overnight. We just keep going to the same station.)

Neither vehicle has any issue with performance. In fact in the F150, it is actually better. This to me would eliminate fuel filter, water in the gas, non firing plugs, etc. There is no missing, back firing, black smoke etc.

I thought this over and I did do one other thing differently. I changed brands of oil. Before when I changed the oil, I put in whatever (name) brand that was on sale. Mobil, Valvoline, Motorcraft.... From the oil distributor I buy the Neutra from, I bought Chevron Supreme. The weights stayed the same. 5W30 for the van, 10W30 for the truck. Other than that, Neutra is the only thing in common.

I am not blaming Neutra by any means. I am only wanting to know IF it could have caused this. I am starting to wonder about the oxy sensor. Thinking about it, the exhaust of the truck has smelled a bit different. Thought that may be the new gas. Kind of a rotten egg smell. Maybe 92 octane is too much for the truck??? Any ideas please. By the way, switched to 92 octane because both vehicles were knocking under load. Van still does, truck does not. Thanks..

quote:

Originally posted by A. Guy:
Thinking about it, the exhaust of the truck has smelled a bit different. Thought that may be the new gas. Kind of a rotten egg smell. Maybe 92 octane is too much for the truck??? Any ideas please. By the way, switched to 92 octane because both vehicles were knocking under load. Van still does, truck does not. Thanks..

Have you checked your CC? Reason I ask is because the only time I've ever experienced that smell (outside of chemistry class) was from a 4-year-old car with a clogged cat. The smell went away when it was replaced.

Do you know what the sulphur content of the new gas is compared to the previous gas you used?
dunno.gif

When I first used the normal amount of neutra in a 1.6L 4cylinder corolla engine it brought back 2mi/gal!!! So I went OD on neutra, put about 10oz in like 1/4 tank about 4 gallons in the tank. Well it kinda messed things up...mileage went down by 4mi/gal and car started to miss at constant speeds. Yes checked the spark plugs, changed the cap and rotor wires...something Jimmy'd.

THe lesson is : DONT OD on NEUTRA

I don't think I over dosed. May have been though. My leaning was that it may have helped burn out something that was burning out anyway. Either way though, it is drinking gas badly. I should say they are. My wife called me to let me know she had to put more money into the tank today, 3 days ahead of time. Not at all happy.

This is crazy. What do you all really think? Neutra.. new brand of gas.... new brand of oil... something mechanical that happened on two vehicles at exactly the same time, the exact same symptoms?

What is funny is my truck runs better, my wife now says her van does too. Please, I'll take poorer performance over increased cost anyday!!!!

quote:

not cut it buy 60%.

Could it have caused a fuel line to start leaking? I know you say no leaks but 60% is ALOT. Even if the O2 sensors were dead, I would expect the default mixture settings to do alot better than this. Only time I've ever seen this kind of loss was a major fuel leak . Once had a 1980 Corolla drop to getting only 12 MPG. Soon after opened the hood and found fuel vapor spraying everywhere due to a bad machanical fuel pump. Never left a puddle under it. Glad I'm not a smoker. I would have blown myself up.

Also look in your rearview mirror and make sure you don't have an open dragshoot behind you
grin.gif

all my fuel lines are metal that I can see. I have checked the length from the tank to the fuel rails, not a drop or drip anywhere. Has me fooled. Funny thing is, I ordered two cases of the stuff two weeks ago. The distributor called me today, telling me my order was ready for delivery.

lol.gif
guess what I told them? Was thinking of trying their oil too... not a chance until I get this figured out.

No offense but we pretty much all know Schaeffer's is good stuff. There is obviously something else going on. To deny yourself their oil would be your loss.

Bob asked me not to post on Neutra issues, however, this string is composed of people trying to figure out how you managed these mpg. Let me take a guess. Did you happen to take off your fuel filter and replace it after adding Neutra? This is a good product for cleaning fuel systems and, frankly, Schaeffer's is better oil than most. I think you need to re-examine your exact application.
Frank Miller
Inventor
Auto-Rx

My exact application does not include additives that " MAY " reduce my gas mileage by a bunch. Again, not that this caused it, however, again..... it hasn't been proven to my satisfaction that it hasn't caused it. Wouldn't you agree in a court of law, that this would be very compelling circumstantial evidence? Two different vehicles exhibit the exact same problem, at the exact same time. The only thing in common is that a new additive "Neutra" was used in both vehicles?

Again, I am not blaming Neutra. I have no proof that this stuff caused damage. I am not mechanically derilect however. I do know how to spot fuel leaks etc. Neither vehicle has one. And no Frank, wrong.. I did not change the fuel filter. Nothing has changed except Brand of gasoline, brand of motor oil and Neutra.

Lastly, "we" can all agree that Shaeffer's is good stuff until the moon turns purple. That doesn't restore my gas mileage, or make me wonder if maybe... just maybe, a Shaeffer product didn't cause a problem somewhere along the line. You feel free to use what you want, I could care less. However, as I said, until I am proven that neutra did not cause some malfunction in some sender, computer, etc. I won't be using their products. Same goes for Shell and Chevron. Each being eliminated until the cause is found. Neutra first, then Shell, then Chevron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back