Neutra 131, Slant sixs, timing, pinging, and combustion chamber cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some neutra in gallons yesterday. I have a 1978 volare with a 225 slant six with a carter 2 barrel. I acquired it 18 months or so ago with only 16,000 original miles. It had been a grandmother's car bought new, she became disabled and it sat.

I bought it, started driving it daily and ran into the usual problems of a car that has sat for years without being driven.

One problem, I was never able to get rid of, that was spark knock. I recurved the distributor and limited its total advance, richened the carb, put different plugs in it, made sure the egr was working, etc. Even reworked the routing of the egr vaccum hoses so it worked at a lower mph than stock. Even raised the shift rpm. Still spark knock even on premium gas.

The neutra had a suggestion on the jug for combustion chamber cleaning of pouring 16oz down the carb with the engine running at fast idle when hot. I did this never putting too much so i wouldnt hydraulic lock the engine. Smoked badly while doing this and afterwards for a while.

Also put in cleaning amounts in oil and gas. Took off on a test drive and the spark knock was gone. Throttle responsiveness was better. The car even started better. Usually on cold start it will start up and die immediately and have to be cranked two or three more times before you can drive off. This is with a jacobs igniton, spiral core wires, and plugs gapped at .055 and an
e-core coil. This same combination of ignition setup will start my 1970 dart in 10 degree weather and keep it cranked with no restarts necessary.

This morning it started immediately, ran and it did not die. Feels like a whole other car. I filled it yesterday and will see what the gas mileage will be. I usually get 18-19 on the highway and 16 in town.

Not trying to sell or argue in any way that this is scientific, but it seems to have made quite a difference. If it had only gotten rid of the spark knock I would have been happy. I think it may be loosening rings that were fouled after sitting for 20+ years even though I have had the car on mobil 1 since I bought it.

Dan

Sounds like it did a fine clean-up on the chambers!!

16 oz in the carb? COOL!! (musta taken care of that mosquito problem
grin.gif
)

Pablo, great idea!

That reminds me.

Since mosquito season is here, I think I'll breath heavy and drive around the property with an added Neutra injector (similar to the Nitro injector) and kill those pesky little creatures.
grin.gif

Be sure to bring that mosquito killer up here to my neck of the woods, where our mosquitos are laced with the nasty West Nile Virus.

Interesting story. I just ordered a gallon of neutra. I have a John Deere Model A that that has some of the same problems. I think I'll try and run some neutra through it this summer. The cylinders are horizontal, so I wonder how well pouring it in both of them will work. I could still pour some in the carb and oil. With 11 quarts of oil I need a cost effective product.

Right now it does not have to power to run in 5th or 6th gear. It could be the carb, rings or both.

I hope you guys are shooting at prarie dogs while smoking out the 'skeeters. Keep that Monkeypox under control.

"Licensed by the United Nations to kill varmints"

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Today, I also added another 5 degrees of timing in so that I am at 20 degrees initial. It runs great and does not ping or knock at this setting.

I will post gas mileage as soon as I get a reading.

I will be using this on my other cars also when I get home from vacation. I am pleased with what this product has done. I am also very appreciative of the wealth of knowledge available on this board.
grin.gif

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
Today, I also added another 5 degrees of timing in so that I am at 20 degrees initial. It runs great and does not ping or knock at this setting.

I will post gas mileage as soon as I get a reading.

What's taking you so long Dan, it's been over a year now and we're still waiting!
grin.gif

Seriously though, I was doing a search on Neutra and combustion chamber cleaning and found this old thread.

Today I added a full 12oz bottle of Neutra to a full tank of gas in the Corvette (it holds 18.5 gallons). This is the third bottle I've added since I bought the car two weeks ago (I've driven it more than 1200 miles so far though!), so hopefully I've fully gotten rid of any possible carbon buildup (if there was any)

[ August 23, 2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back