Network TV programming is unwatchable

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who will invariably post in here that you no longer watch TV and would recommend the same, please don't clutter up this thread with those messages. I happen to enjoy watching TV, when there's something good to watch. There is no such thing on the network channels anymore. Gone are shows like Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, and King of Queens. Now we have shows featuring people with green hair and gays. I'm sure there are people who like these shows, but do they all have to be like this? Can't there be ANY shows that are of a more conservative nature?

Actually metv and laugh channel have home improvement in a block of three shows mountain time. I love night court from 11:30am to 1pm. There are a few channels. Decades channel moved and I can't find it.

Last Man Standing (Fox Network) staring Tim Allen and is a good substituent for Home Improvement. Even Jay Leno appears on it time to time. Don't know how you get your TV-but on the (OTA) other bands 4.2-4.3 and so on, the old shows you mentioned are on. Even older ones.......It sounds like you may be a candidate for cable or DISH where there are bound to be "special Interest Channels" (National Geographic, Motor Trend, etc,) that would interest you, but it sounds like you wouldn't be spending the coin on those. If you have good wi-fi (40 mbps) there is always the option of buying a Roku device for $30.00 (or similar) and spending $6.00 bucks on a streaming service. Hulu, Discovery, NetFlix, Motor TRend (different from the cable one) PBS (free) Sky News (BBC-Free).

There are options other than complaining that TV needs to be more inclusive now.

Last edited:
I like all the NCIS shows, SEAL Team, SWAT, the 9-1-1 shows, Macyver, and Magnum PI on the big 4's. Other than that I would be watching South Park, motorsports, baseball, or the Dale Jr Download on TV.

I used to like watching TV in the days of Johnny Carson, Columbo, MASH, Bundys, Roseanne, Kojack, Miami Vice, Charlie's Angels. I am sure there were many other good ones I can't remember now. It was a golden age of TV in my opinion.

Once you're not in the 18-49 bracket, advertisers don't care about you. They want to sell more green hair dye.

Based on the number of retro DTV subchannels, the idea of broadcast tv in general seems to be in "greatest hits" mode.

There doesn't seem to be any network TV anymore, it's all streaming services. Disney+ might be good. Now there's Paramount, HBO Max, Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

It's all crap. Network, or otherwise, all a joke where they fund the few decent shows by pandering to the lowest denominator of mankind who are puppets to advertising to "support" that trash.

It's a jungle and you weed your way through it. I get my local news OTA and everything else, PTP torrents.

Don't get me started about disney which was supposed to be wholesome entertainment for kids but turned into some kind of satanic dance party brainwashing ritual.

For those of you who will invariably post in here that you no longer watch TV and would recommend the same, please don't clutter up this thread with those messages. I happen to enjoy watching TV, when there's something good to watch. There is no such thing on the network channels anymore. Gone are shows like Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, and King of Queens. Now we have shows featuring people with green hair and gays. I'm sure there are people who like these shows, but do they all have to be like this? Can't there be ANY shows that are of a more conservative nature?

Agreed; however my biggest problem is the ads. Back in the 80s for example, a show like Magnum, PI would have 45+ minutes of content and less than 15 minutes of advertisements. FF to the 90s and a show like "Friends" had sometimes less than 15 minutes of content for a 1/2 hour show!! You're lucky today to find a show with more than 30 minutes of actual "show" within an hour. Good luck with any late night talkshow or major "news" network. I've quit watching them all.

Dave9 said:
It's all crap. Network, or otherwise, all a joke where they fund the few decent shows by pandering to the lowest denominator of mankind who are puppets to advertising to "support" that trash.

You sir, are not wrong!

Home Improvement still comes on. Usually later at night. Currently I’m sitting here watching Sanford and Son another of my favorites. I just wish they still played the original shows like The Munsters and The Addams Family the original versions of both. Luckily I have most of the episodes on disk so I can still watch them. Also shows like Seinfeld and The Simpsons and Family Guy and Spongebob all still come on which are my favorites too.

Yes you are correct why can’t more classic shows be on and good old shows. One I wish they still played on tv is the movie Coneheads I love that movie it’s really funny. I haven’t seen that one on in at least 5 years and I can never find it on disk. To me TV is like cars the older (show not tv itself) the better. I also wish they played more car shows too. Some days there is absolutely nothing good on to watch and it gets boring so I have to find something else to do.

I definitely agree with you on this. 🙂. I’m not a TV hater at all. I don’t like all those streaming networks like Netflix or anything that try to take the place of TV cable, if I’m going to watch a movie I want it either on TV or on disk or VHS.

Grampi....you still using an antenna or do you have cable/satellite? I couldn't actually tell you any shows on broadcast television. Are the Simpsons still on? You may also become a little more accepting. When/if dementia sets in, you may gradually get the desire for a new hair color and some mano y mano projects. Stranger things have happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back