neoprene or cork gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Neoprene or use permatex The Right Stuff sealant. Cork gaskets are terrible.

+1, or else the ford factory style elastomeric.

Factory style, but doesn't need to be dealer sourced.

Cork is obsolete but cork dipped in various rubbers is not too bad.

I prefer equivalent to factory since since the pan and transmission surfaces are designed for it.

I hate the neopremes,they leak and I see nothing but problems with them leaking.I see them in the transmission filter kits: In the garbage can.I like the cork better,seal up a lot better.Most Ford and GM transmissions use a reusable pan gaskets and it does say on the pan on Ford transmissions.Chrysler does use them too

The general rule is to use RTV sparinly for an automatic transmission.I seen this used too much in a Chrysler transmission some else did,ended up taking apart the valve body cleaning it,getting rid of the pieces of the pieces of RTV silicone.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
The general rule is to use RTV sparinly for an automatic transmission.I seen this used too much in a Chrysler transmission some else did,ended up taking apart the valve body cleaning it,getting rid of the pieces of the pieces of RTV silicone.

Is that a function of using too much RTV, or of driving the vehicle too soon? (ie. before it's cured - allowing it to be washed out in clumps)

Cork can squish out and break. It does this rather easily. It is worse with any slippery sealer or grease used on the gasket. [Yes, grease is a good idea if the pan has to come off often].
Make sure the pan is flat where it seals. Wood blocks and hammer taps can make it near perfect. Bolt holes can be mushed up - pay attention to those areas.
New composition gaskets and cast pans make things better and easier.
Overtightening is not good in any case.
Sealer? It's up to you. More useful on cork than a modern formed gasket. A light smear of RTV with clean and dry surfaces and plenty of cure time works well.

I never seen a Cork gasket fail.There is a trick to keep a cork gasket in good shape,soak them in water.Those black neopreme gaskets are the worst pan gaskets out there,do not seal worth a [censored] and I replace them a lot of them due to leaking

I've always heard that the neoprene gasket was the better of the two.
I've seen a few cork ones tear(way to easy) and leak.
The factory gaskets are mostly neoprene from my admittedly limited experience.

Cork was about all they had [except leather!] and is surpassed in every way by modern and not so modern types.
With care, it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back