Neon SRT4 / PU 5w40 / 4700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANTHONY: Wear is very low in this sample from your SRT-4, which is great considering that your oil change interval was about 1,000 miles longer this time than your previous sample. Insolubles were high, so it looks like your oil filter was having a bit of trouble keeping solid particles out of the oil, but with everything else looking good, and assuming the filter was changed, insolubles should improve next time. The viscosity was correct and no contamination was found. The TBN is still good at 4.5 (1.0 is low), so this oil can go longer. Try 6,000 miles and check back.

Make/Model: 2005 Dodge 2.4L 4CYL Turbo
Oil Used: Pennzoil Ultra 5w40
Filter Used: Napa Gold from FleetFilter(Wix?)
Air Filter: Amsoil cone filter
Make up oil: 0 quarts
Miles on oil: 4700
Reason for oil change: Worried about possible coolant leak, and curious about silicon levels(last report showed 85 si.

2nd set of #'s is my averages from previous reports

ALUMINUM 1 2
CHROMIUM 0 0
IRON 5 5
COPPER 1 1
LEAD 1 1
TIN 1 1
MOLYBDENUM 6 41
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 1
BORON 74 98
SILICON 19 33
SODIUM 8 5
CALCIUM 2371 2561
MAGNESIUM 13 114
PHOSPHORUS 838 758
ZINC 940 845
BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.7 WATER 0 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 440 >375
SUS VIS 210ºF 67.1 65-78
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.19
TBN 4.5

Last edited:
High SI is usually a bad air filter but it can be other stuff like.. sealants etc if you had to open the engine up recently.

It was my normal commute...Drive 14 miles(11 freeway/3 city)to work. 36-48 hours later, I drive the same route back home. I am a train conductor, so I drive to work, then take a train 150 miles away and then bring one home a day or two later. There was 2 months during the OCI where I was driving 40 miles each way (80 a day)to a different railroad yard. that was probably 32 miles of freeway. There were a few WOT runs thru the gears every once in a while.

I did do a throttle body cleaning during the previous OCI, but I couldnt find any info on if the cleaner contained silicon

Darn good UOA, though the air filter you are using is notorious for letting in dirt, the wear isn't showing as abrasives so it may well have been the cleaner. Do you use PU often? If not what oil do you normally use? Looks like some cleaning was going on...I would love to cut open that filter and see if there is any sludge in it. A Wix should have handled that OCI like nothing.

I still have the filter, maybe I will cut it open this weekend. I used PU 5w30 a couple times, PU5w40 a couple times. Car has had synthetics since 300 miles on the odometer. Amsoil, M1, PP, and PU.

Looks good! Did you put PU 5W-40 back in? I picked up some Kendall on sale at Costless. They were wiped out of PU 5W-40. It wasn't me! LOL

click images for bigger views

Filter top cut open. metel shavings are from the hack saw

anti drainback valve removed

inside the can, the black is a reflection of the spring in the bottom. It was clean as could be

seam in the filter, nothing wrong there

no sludge, dirt, shavings, nothing between the pleats.

I am at a loss for the high insolubles. The sample was sitting on the kitchen table since May. Is there anyway for insolubles to form in used oil? Or, does anyone have any other ideas for the high insolubles. I have been using these filters for a few years now, and my other reports have always been .3 or less

Last edited:
That's just weird.. that filter looks excellent still, I would take a look at the air intake, something has to be letting silicon (dirt) in...

I wouldn't let the high silicon thing worry me a whole lot if your wear numbers are as good as they are, I would just go to 6 maybe 7k and they re sample..

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
nobody has any thoughts on the insolubles and the filter?

Oil is bypassing the filter? Try 0w-30 next time.

Did you put in new oil, or put back used oil? 4700 miles is not many for synthetic.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree that perhaps the high oil viscosity lets this engine generate too much oil pressure and thus the filter is in bypass a lot.

Kind of shaky though. I have never had high silicon readings with amsoil filters as Chubbs mentioned, they actually do a great job for me. But you could have an air leak somewhere on the suction side of the turbo.

I can't see why you'd need an oil that heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back