Neo 0w-5 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Test Reports

It has been shown that there is a reduction in heat from 15 to 20 degrees with an increase of up to 6 hp on the top end of the torque band, and 1 1/ 2 hp gain on the bottom. These tests have been conducted by teams with engines up to 1150 hp. To date, many teams have reported their results. Currently tests are being conducted by major teams in Europe, the United States, Canada and Australia with results showing an increase of up to 500 RPMs.

A European Formula 3000 team used NEO's High Performance Synthetic 0w-5 and gained 3 hp, which gave them 10 pole positions, 5 lap records, and 4 track records. Here in the United States, a manufacturer of aluminum engines for circle track and drag racing on the east coast, dynoed an engine with the idea of wasting it to evaluate the 0w-5 motor oil. "The engine was the most responsive engine I have ever dynoed! " From off idle to wide open throttle he was very impressed. After disassembling the engine he was very surprised to find virtually no wear on any of the moving parts. And the oil looked like it did when he poured it in. He felt he could have dynoed that engine for a week with no problems.

A 5wt. oil?
shocked.gif

Actually, there's no such thing as a 5-weight oil. NEO doesn't give any clues about what it's viscosity is either. The distributor doesn't know or won't say, and although this may be a good oil I think I can pass until they tell me more about it.

I know someone who has been using this oil for a while in his hard driven LS1, he's a member on here too (sawedoff) Hopefully he'll do oil analysis on it.

I too had heard that it's not really as thin of an oil as we'd think it is.

quote:

Buster,
And you scorn at 20 weight oil

Wrong guy there cheif. I never scorned a 20wt oil. I've only said M1 is almost a 20wt to begin with and that running a heavier weight will cause no damage so run what you want.
wink.gif

You see these wierd weights on race oils quite often. No where does it say "SAE" 3W30, 00W25, 000Wxx, or any other invented numbers.
There is an SAE 0W 5W and 10W in the engine oil classification list, but there is not an SAE 5 or 10 weight without the W suffix.
Also SAE 5W is an open-ended grade with a minimum 3.8 cSt viscosity @100C.
There is not a maximum viscosity figure attached to SAE 5W.
In reality an 0W5,(0W5W) could be any SAE grade of engine oil that passes an 0W cold viscosity test.
An 0W5(W) could be an 0W60 for that matter with a cSt of 24@100C.

When it comes to racing oils or super thin viscosity its best to read the spec sheet for a 40 and 100 C cSt viscosity. Drag guys pay attention to 40, the rest of us normal guys that can turn and go fast with brakes and clutches pay attention to 100C.

The spec sheet on the Neo 0W5 says its viscosity index is 180, pour point –80 and flash point 440.
Didn't see anything on the 40 and 100 cSt viscosity, but it did mention 0% viscosity increase over 5 hrs.

Neo also says the oil registered 3500 on the Falex film strength test where most synthetics only do 1350 and dinos 700.

One of the technical people at Neo (an older gentleman, very knowledgeable) told me over the phone that it's fine to use in any car where the manufacturer recommends a 5W or 10W-30. His only reservation was using it in extremely hot climates over 100F. Then he said you might want to switch to 5W30 until the weather turns cooler.
The oil was originally developed for use in arctic exploration, and then the racing guys started getting excited about it.
He also said your engine with the 0W5 won’t show much oil consumption until your drain interval gets to 14-15K miles, then it starts using some.

Just thought I’d pass this along FWIW. As a WRX owner, I’m always looking for ways of getting faster turbo spool-up at low rpms, plus the potential increases in mpg and hp, so this oil looks very attractive right now (only drawback---$10 qt.!!)

[ June 30, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

quote:

He also said your engine with the 0W5 won’t show much oil consumption until your drain interval gets to 14-15K miles, then it starts using some.

Why would an engine not use fresh oil, but use the same oil that's already old? Maybe the oil thins out a lot and makes it past the rings when it's old? I'm trying to figure this one out.
Rick

100% diester base with the following certifications:

API: SH /SJ and Energy Conserving III Designation.
ILSAC: GF-1 / GF-2.
ACEA: A1-96, A2-96, A3-96
ACEA: B1-96, B2-96, B3-96

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I read somewhere that it's really a di-ester SAE 20 weight oil, mainly to be used for qualifying runs.

This would make more sense than 0w5. The Neo site lists this oil as having a VI of 180. If that's true, the hi temp vis would be AT LEAST a high 20 wt and more likely a solid 30 wt.

One has to wonder about a company that would play fast and loose with the viscosity labeling of its oils, going so far as to intentionally mislabel the oil with a "made up" grade.
rolleyes.gif

Hard to say why they call it that. Neo is a small specialized oil company that really caters to the racing crowd and my understanding is they do have an excellent reputation in that regard.

There was a big write-up in Turbo magazine a while back about their RHD tranny fluid and how one World Rally team was using it. When I called to buy some at $68.95 gallon, they said they would be happy to sell it to me, but their less expensive version at $38.95 would be just as good for what I needed. So I don’t think these guys are crooks or shady in the least, although from the discussion so far, the 0W-5 does sound like kind of a misnomer.

Here is another claim that’s very intriguing for such a light weight oil:

quote:

NEO has a greater tolerance to heat than most synthetic oils which begin to lose actual volume from exposure to heat at 115C, or 239F. This greater heat tolerance also translates into longer engine life. NEO’s High Performance Synthetic 0W-5 withstands viscosity and thermal breakdown better than any other synthetic motor oil.

One thing about the 0W-5 designation, it sure catches your attention!
grin.gif

i think what they mean is that, it has the lubricity of a 5 viscosity oil at high temp-maybe? dunno but, i agree that if it aint really a 0w-5, then dont call it that. but im still gonna try it though
smile.gif
!

Well....I am NOT a lube engineer by ANY means and I am actually still a newbie even after a year and a half of study so take what i say w/ a grain of salt:)!

Anyways, the only thing stopping us from using this stuff in a street car with long drain intervals is....additive package. If its like Redline's racing syn oils and its additive package is only for racing then it wont have enough detergents, acid neutralisers, anti-foaming agents, etc...

Anyone else on this topic? Molakule? Where's my fellow German Syntec brother at? G-Man II? Where are you?? Hey that actually rhymes! Like "Car Fifty-Four wher are you??? anyways, ahem! sorry off-topic there!

"Anyways, the only thing stopping us from using this stuff in a street car with long drain intervals is....additive package. If its like Redline's racing syn oils and its additive package is only for racing then it wont have enough detergents, acid neutralisers, anti-foaming agents, etc..."

I agree with Mr. Jefferson. Untill the oil is analyzed for its add package, I would relegate it to racing only. Most racing oils have large amounts of AW/EP adds, quite a bit of antifoam, some antioxidants, but lesser amounts (if any) of rust preventors and Dispersant/Detergents (DD). DD's are not used in racing oils in order not to foul plugs with deposits.

Sure, I can understand that. You want to take a good look at a few UOA's and find out some more specs before getting carried away (which I admittedly am here!)
gr_stretch.gif

What intrigues me is that the oil was only embraced by the racing guys after it was developed for a cold-weather application. Neo says you can run it for 15K intervals and that it's good for the street.

So it sounds to me, this is not your usual racing oil, but a totally unique product that might benefit anyone interested in a very high performance synthetic.

[ July 02, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

I agree 100%, it's worth trying. I was going to switch back to Mobil 1 after a stint with Redline, but I'm going to give the Neo 0W-5 a try instead.

So here's a bump to keep the thread going in hopes of getting some more opinions from forum members.

I'm nowhere near having the expertise of a petroleum engineer, but the 0W-5 seems like a unique product that has great potential as a year-round (in temperate climates) high performance synthetic.

What's not to like? It is made from the finest synthetic stocks, has pour and flash points and viscosity index that exceeds Mobil's own 5W30, and a Falex film strength almost triple your usual synthetic. Plus it has gotten very favorable reviews from the racing community.

Are there any reasons NOT to use this oil on a daily basis in a high performance street car?
dunno.gif

[ July 02, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back