Neighbors Oil Change today, Should I stop him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbor is a "Stasher" like all of use
Anyway, he is towards the end of his 2 year going stash, last year he got a new vehicle (poor guy, had to trade in his toy for a more family friendly car since he now has a baby), anyway his old car took 5 quarts of oil, this one only takes 4...its a 2009 impala

He used to buy 5-6 at a time, and now he has 1 qt left of...
5w30 Royal Purple
5w30 M1
5w30 Amsoil
and 5w30 QSUD

LOL ANYWAY
His idea is, that they will all mix together JUST FINE, and run good for his 6k interval he does.

Idk if I should stop him or what? Lol, usually if I have a little of ANY oil left over in a qt, jug etc, it gets demoted to lawnmower, chainsaw blade, anything that doesnt use much and my life dont depend on to get me to work everyday.

Regardless, I have heard of 2 brands being mixed or w/e but 4 different brands?

theyre all SN grade oils, all the same weight, so this shouldnt be a problem? I just dont wanna go tell another guy what to do under the hood, great way to get knocked out ya know.

Last edited:
It'll mix just fine, but I like 5K OCI's better than 6k, esp for winters. short trips in the cold aren't great on oil; neither is cold damp weather. But the mix should be just fine.

Originally Posted By: uart
Mmmmm, Mobyal Qurpsoil, my favorite oil.

Very rare, I have been looking for Mobyal Qurpsoil for years. Is Mobyal blended in Alabama??

For argument's sake:
Lets say the base oils are all the same.
The only difference is in the additive package.
The mixture will have only 25% of each, instead of 100% for a non mixture of either 4 oils.
So if oil A depends on additive A to work well, the mixture only has 25% of additive A.
That might not be enough.

Just remember when you talk to him: "You can get so much more cooperation with a kind word and a Smith & Wesson than with a Smith & Wesson alone."

He will be fine. It may not clean as well as a single oil, but it will lubricate just fine. It is still WAY better than using bulk oil from a fast lube joint and not changing it for too long, or letting it get low on oil, like a lot of folks do and they still have long engine life.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I just dont wanna go tell another guy what to do under the hood, great way to get knocked out ya know.

It's wise not to stick your nose in a place where it doesn't belong.

I remember reading (here) about something called "additive clash"...my understanding is that means the mixture may not protect as well as any one of the oils by themselves. Not sure if that's still relevent.

My other concern would be that those oils are from different Groups...not sure if that's relevent either, especially if this is just a one-shot.

If he knows of and respects your oil knowledge, you might mention to him that his mix isn't ideal...he'll either accept that or not. If not, shrug and say "it's your car" and leave it alone.

He'll get away with the RoyMo AmQuak mix for one OCI. If he persists mixing across oil brands, maybe you can find a nice way to explain the long-term consequences of additive clash to him.

Last edited:
I am surprised the car takes so little oil. GM used to make all V6 5 qts. My mom's '07 Impala is the SS with the V8 and it takes 6, but the stick is deceptive and to make it look full it takes another half quart(overfull then).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back