Neglected BMW wheels

This is my sisters BMW X5 which she does not take care of. It is several years old and she has never washed it or cleaned the rims. She came over the other day and I couldn't take anymore it so I cleaned them up for her. What a difference! I lectured her to start taking car of her vehicle and stop being a lazy slob...
imynNLK.jpg

IWuokYX.jpg

GBKR9y7.jpg

Looks much better!

Assuming OE or OE style pads, the wheels might look about the same after a week of commuting. Got to stay on top of it, at least that wheel design allows for quick and easy washing.

During our winter this year, my Altima aluminum wheels looked very much like the BMWs wheel pictured. So before I took the car through the local car wash(YUP, the carwash), I gave the wheels a quick bucket of hot water mixed with "liquid" laundry detergent & another bucket of hot water rinse and, OMG, you had to see'em when I was done. And it only took me minutes to do all 4.

Now keep in mind, this laundry detergent cleanup isn't my regular way to clean the black brake dust wheels but the detergent sure did a nice job and better than many wheel specific wheel cleaning products that I've used in the past. I only did them quickly as well due to being cold outside and it was no work at all.

Last edited:
If she is not that concerned about performance, slap Akebono pads on it. SHe will have a bit softer brake pedal, but no dust. I personally hate them, but a lot of owners like them bcs. clean wheels.
I’ve been reading a ton of forum posts. People are either like “no dust, same feel, if not better than oem” or “no dust, but feels too soft”.

I have ceramics on my rear brakes, and they never get dirty. I have no idea what brand

I’ve been reading a ton of forum posts. People are either like “no dust, same feel, if not better than oem” or “no dust, but feels too soft”.

I have ceramics on my rear brakes, and they never get dirty. I have no idea what brand
Akebono Euro most definitely are not the same pedal feel.

However, if you want you BMW to have brake feel on par with Suburban, then go right ahead.

Car will stop fine and have low dust, which has value.

This is my sisters BMW X5 which she does not take care of. It is several years old and she has never washed it or cleaned the rims.
Owns or leases? Shes obviously not a car person and thinks of it as being just another appliance to use. You got some satisfaction out of it, but it was probably a waste of time. It's going look like that again in a week.

Akebono Euro most definitely are not the same pedal feel.

However, if you want you BMW to have brake feel on par with Suburban, then go right ahead.

Car will stop fine and have low dust, which has value.
I’m not tracking my car or anything. But these style 197 wheels are a pain to clean

It is not better than OEM. That falls into: "what I am going to lie to myself today, so I can feel better about my life."

Idk, a lot of people say it takes a while for them to break in. I’m just stating what other people are saying.

I’m taking the wheels off when it warms up to check the brake pads, and I will see what are on the front. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960491
I bought an E90 once with Akebono Euro. The pads had 10k miles on them. It felt like Suburban brakes compared to my E90 with OE pads.

Some people only care about brakes in that they stop the car. Thats fine, but that is why opinions vary.

Back