need to solve argument with co-worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, so this guy i work with who ive known for years and that definetly knows a lot about cars and engines. well sometimes i think he just goes by what other people say. he was trying to tell me that M1 is the best sythetic oil out there. his reasoning for this is that he was at a nascar race in the pits and watched every team pour M1 into the motors before the race. he also says he knows a guy who races legend cars that run air cooled motorcycle engines or something like that and they say that anything but M1 burns off and leaves sludge in the motor after a couple races or whatever. well i tried to tell him that there are better oils out there than M1, but that M1 is definetly a good oil. he totally disagreed with me and said that i didnt know what i was talking about. someone please give me some info to throw in his face because i know there has to be oils out there that are superior to M1. thanks in advance

because he thinks he knows everything, and he definetly knows more than i do about some stuff. but even when i am 100% positive that i know more than him he just claims that i dont know what im talking about

quote:

he just claims that i dont know what im talking about

Is this about daddy issues?
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

he just claims that i dont know what im talking about

Is this about daddy issues?
wink.gif

absolutely not, he has taught me quite a few things about mustangs and building motors. but i would just this once like to teach him something. i tried to find some posts on here about redline or elf oil being better than M1 but couldnt.

I was of course kidding (I think).

Just tell him to check out all the oil companies that are involved in professional racing and especially Formula 1. It's not just Mobil.

I cant believe you all will not help this guy out. You tell him not to argue with the guy? That is all we do here on BITOG is argue. In a good way, but we argue about everything. Plus this is your chance to educate someone who works at advance auto. And all you can do is clam up?!?! Humph.

Tell him Redline is better. Tell him the base stock in redline is more expensive and better. Tell him it has more moly to help reduce friction and it has more calcium to help with extended drains. Then tell him that more racers use Redline than Mobil 1.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
I cant believe you all will not help this guy out. You tell him not to argue with the guy? That is all we do here on BITOG is argue. In a good way, but we argue about everything. Plus this is your chance to educate someone who works at advance auto. And all you can do is clam up?!?! Humph.

Tell him Redline is better. Tell him the base stock in redline is more expensive and better. Tell him it has more moly to help reduce friction and it has more calcium to help with extended drains. Then tell him that more racers use Redline than Mobil 1.

thank you. i dont work at advance anymore but i like to keep current on stuff because the kids who work at my local advance are idiots

I read a good quote last week- "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Could apply here.

Well, the guy probably isn't an idiot ..but a certain level of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Outside of the forum environment, if I run into someone who is totally convinced of their mastery of something ..and I KNOW that they are FOS ..I just give a nudge in the right direction in a suggestive way ..and stop. If they're as bright as they think that they are ..the little glow will become fully lit. That's how I've been managed in the past ..and it has worked. It takes, at times, extreme discipline not to go into some wrestling match. I run into this all the time with the bracket racers that don't know squat about oil ..but since they've got go fast engines they feel that they must know it all.

Now if your goal is just to frustrate the guy because you've been on the short end of too may exchanges with him ...then you just turn passive aggressive and p'ee him off with your intractability on the topic. You can even resort to quiet (as in calm) contradictions. "M1 is the best oil out there!!" .."No, I'm sorry, it's not." ..and then move to a different topic. This will beg to be responded to ...and you'll then say something like "Okay, if you say so." ..this will then throw the passively insulting gauntlet of "you can keep fooling yourself, if you so desire ..leave the fool to his folly". At this point you should have him really cranked. Push a few more buttons ..and voila~ ..you've scored your first victory.

quote:

Originally posted by ecu50:
he was trying to tell me that M1 is the best sythetic oil out there. his reasoning for this is that he was at a nascar race in the pits and watched every team pour M1 into the motors before the race.

Man, like I don't feel stupid and guilty enough already for using M1?

I think the whole oil issue can be broken down into two catergories. There are those that think the brand that they use is the best. Then there are those that just buy whats on sale.

Since becoming a member of BITOG I have changed my longtime use of Quaker State oil and Fram oil filters to Mobil 1 5W30 and Purolator Premium Plus in the winter and Havoline 10W30 and Purolator Pure One's in the summer. Now is this the best? IMO it is! But in reality who knows. It's just my opinion!

You fellows need an attitudinal adjustment. First of all, you are not arguing, you are "discussing".

Second, a question of what is "best" is highly subjective in nature, as there are many criteria and factors that go into each individual's opinion as to what is "best", and the weight given to each factor by each individual is different. I am sure that for some, the best oil, using their criteria, is Wolfs Head 30HD.

So long as he is not forcing you to use Mobil 1, what does it really matter? Opinions are like (you fill in the blank for an anatomical part of the body), everybody has one.

Well you can tell him that on bobistheoilguy.com there are thousands of UOA's (maybe he'll have to ask what a UOA is
smile.gif
) The all of those UOA's don't show that Mobil 1 is any better or any worse anan other oils. Since it is a PAO it can take longer drain intervals..but then again so can RP, RL, GC, and Amsoil.

Honestly though its a wast of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back