Need the truth about oil and additives please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waldo,

A couple of things not mentioned--the counter people in auto parts stores are not trained in lubrication. They just repeat what they hear from the more vocal customers or what their manager tells them (in order to push sales of that product).

Don't forget your transmission.
http://www.auto-rx.net

Ken

Ok,

with all said what would al of you guys suggest me to use and reply as if this was your vehicle please.

buick skylark 3.1 nearing 100,000 miles.

1. oil
weight [ilive in michigan and it can get cold]
brand [preferibly one i can get locally]
2. filter [icurrantly use fram but not set on it]
3. should i use an addative or engine treatment

ok thanks guys oh by the way i went to get new tires and at bell tire in michigan the advertise amsoil in there promotion while i was on hold for 12 minutes
smile.gif

I've tried the Restore product & I can tell you based on my experiences that it definitely works. I've put it in my '87 Tercel with 145K miles on it & the compression went up & the car regained some lost power.

I am currently using it in my '97 Celica GT (2.2-liter I-4). I started using the stuff from around 70K miles & now the car has 116K miles. I noticed a difference in the acceleration & feel of the engine after using Restore...it brought back some power.

I was using it at every oil change. But then I switched my oil from Castrol GTX to Castrol High Mileage & decided not to run Restore. Not much difference...in fact it felt as the car was sluggish. I switched to Maxlife & the engine ran smoother but then again the car felt sluggish. I put in a can of Restore & the power is back to where it used to be.

I know many may rag on me for using this stuff...but this is the 1st additive in which I can feel a difference. I've tried Prolong (seemed to run my Caprice V8 cooler & smoother) but it didn't make a difference in the 4-cylinder Toyota.

I haven't seen any action taken by the FTC against Restore unlike many other engine additives 2day. The product must work somehow.

I have heard from some ppl that it may reduce the oil pressure a bit. I don't know if its true or not.

Anyways...I'd say give it a shot if you have sluggish acceleration. You'll need to buy the 6-cylinder formula can.

As for the oil...don't bother about Castrol High Mileage...didn't make a big difference for me. In fact, contrary to most posts here it felt that the new Valvoline Maxlife quieted by engine down quite a bit. I may try Chevron Supreme next...it is now available @ the Toyota dealer here in Orlando. I've been running 10W-30 in my car since 40K miles.

[ September 28, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Vert97 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back