Need something equal to AeroShell #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried doing a search only came up with one one post.

I need to find a grease that would be a replacement for AeroShell #17.

It is for a electric winch app., it says thats would it uses, trying to find something more availble.

I have RP, RedLine, and Schaeffers #221, would any of those work?

Thanks

is it for a bearing????,what nlgi number??,brand ,need to be more specific on application,as aero shell is a aviation grease........BL

FYI -
AeroShell Grease 17 is extreme pressure multipurpose grease recommended for heavily loaded sliding steel surfaces where protection against seizure and corrosion is desired; e.g. bogie pivot pins on jet aircraft landing gear assemblies. It is made with synthetic diester base oil, molybdenum disulfide and Microgel non-melting inorganic thickener, which provides outstanding anti-friction bearing lubrication. It has a useful temperature range of -100° F (-73° C) to +300° F (+149° C). AeroShell Grease 17 is qualified under MIL-G-21164D specification.

I know what aeroshell is.

There is no bearings persay, but three different planetary's gears.

What I was wondering is that would it be ok to use normal grease like a #2 in a vehicle electric winch app. Ramsey REP8000.

Or do I need to find the Aeroshell stuff.

It may be avaition grease, but that what they used in the winch from the factory.

4xj,

I have a Warn winch. I'd guess that the challenges described above apply in a winch designed for a 8000lb + stall:
- High heat (these babies get really hot)
- High shear resistance
- extreme pressure
- resistance to water ingress

I think my manual called for the same fluid.

I'm interested in finding out the answer to this question as well.

Have you tried to contact warn.com or ramsey.com to see if they know of any suitable alternative lubes?

Well I think I answered my own question.

I looked at the Viscosity @ 100C cSt

AeroShell #17 3.1

Schaeffers #221 #2 at 19

Looks to be rather thin grease

So I think I better find the AeroShell #17, to make sure it works right.

clean old grease out and use any moly grease you like compatibility is your worse problem when changeing out grease to another soap type.
bruce

I used to build and repair tow trucks, so I had the chance to repair/rebuild many winches. On the Warn Industrial (which were planetary gearsets) and Ramsey planetarys and DP's that were grease lubed I had great luck with 76 Red Multiplex.
Spec Sheet.

Chevron also has grease that is very similar and I also used that when we were buying from the Chevron dealer.

Patrick
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back