Need some fairly unbiased input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I know this is not a particular oil question but I need to get some feedback regarding two bikes. I cannot post on the bike specific sites as their feedback tends to be biased. :)

I own my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic but it does not have any add-ons, only stock. There are not any bags or real conveniences other than the runner boards for my feet.

I am considering getting a Craigslist 1996 Honda Goldwing that is fully loaded that even comes with a trailer and other options. It has everything a person could want.

My main user for a bike is commuting to work and an every now and then weekend bike run.

Between the two bikes, which do you think would be better for me in the long run?

My Vulcan has fuel injection which I LOVE! Both bikes have plenty of power so that is not the real issue. I just want to know which may last longer for me and easier to maintain. The Vulcan has 8400 miles on it and the Goldwing has 65000.

I would appreciate any feedback and thank you.

I know that GW's can really rack up the miles but it is 10 years older. I'd probably keep the Vulcan. As far as maintanence goes I have no idea.

The Goldwings are nice and certainly have a legendary reputation for reliability. But 65,000 miles is a lot of miles. Unless you're doing some real long distance stuff where the benefits of the GW will be obvious, I'd stick with what you've got.

You know your Vulcan and how it has been maintained. I assume The GW condition under the skin and maint history is not as well known by you.

Age effects will also be creeping in on the GW, some parts just rot from age.

I totally agree with you all and appreciate the input. I am sticking with the Vulcan and getting some saddle bags to make it easier for me to commute. Thank you.

Stick with the Vulcan ... and that's coming from a Goldwing owner.

My reasons align with what's been said above:

o "pbm" -- GW is 10 years old vs. 3 year old Vulcan
o "bepperb" -- you indicated commuter, not long distance touring
o "XS650" -- you know the history and issues of your Vulcan, not true of the Wing

The Wing is a wonderful bike. Despite what some say about it being "too big" for around town, it would be a good commuter as well.

Note: The GW was redesigned in 2001 and the handling characteristics were vastly improved, from what I understand. A 1996 GW would no doubt handle well, just not as well as the newer Wings.

I'm a cautious guy by nature. Personally I would not trade the known good for the unknown. I didn't hear any particular complaints about the Vulcan.

Is there a draw to a Goldwing that you haven't mentioned? Long time dream? Something?

UPDATE - I see you've made your decision. Great!

Last edited:
TucsonDon said:
Stick with the Vulcan ... and that's coming from a Goldwing owner.

My reasons align with what's been said above:

o "pbm" -- GW is 10 years old vs. 3 year old Vulcan
o "bepperb" -- you indicated commuter, not long distance touring
o "XS650" -- you know the history and issues of your Vulcan, not true of the Wing

The GW is actually 13 years old vs. the Vulcan which is 3 y/o. (It's 10 years older)

Hey pbm ... you actually expect me to do the math?

C'mon ... this is a new age of computers and stuff. I don't do no stinkin' math!
LOL.gif

Actually, the icon I need to put here is:
blush.gif

@65,000 a Gold Wing is just broken in.
I don't disagree with the above posts.
You can always get a large windshield and bags if you deside to start touring.
REAL long range stuff is what the Wing is made for, but cruisers and sprot bikes do it too. Just plan ahead.

Well, I love the look and history of GW's but I believe the Vulcan is better for me overall for now as I would need to sell the Vulcan and it would probably be too much trouble. A friend from work also stated the GW would need mechanical work most likely around 100k and that is not too far away and would probably cost me more.

Here is the listing FYI: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1173190149.html

That's a nice looking Wing.

I'm a naturally skeptical guy ... why is that guy loading so many sweeteners to what is already a decent deal? Could be that he's generating cash for a brand new Wing. Could be he's hit a patch of bad times and needs to raise some money. Could be he knows something is going bad with the bike and he wants to unload it before it's unloadable. I really don't know. Like I said, I'm naturally skeptical.

Yes, I am a bit nervous with such a large purchase and since most of the input I am receiving is telling me to keep my Vulcan I think I will follow that advice.

I've had one of each of the generations of GL's (1000,1100,1200,1500 and now 1800). I love them.

I would however consider sticking with the Vulcan if you like riding it. Much newer bike; you know the history; etc.

If you're not needing a long distance touring bike, then the Vulcan will meet your criteria. I use my GL1800 for all types of riding; touring, commuting, pleasure rides, etc.

But since you already own a nice bike, why move out of it if not touring?

Last edited:
Vulcan all the way. What I hear is that Mustang makes the most comfy seats for the Vulcan. I work with a guy that has a Goldwing, my boss has a Goldwing and 2 friends have Vulcan 2000's.
I rode them all. You can really "bagout" a Vulcan. IMO it can be just as comfortable and have alot of storage.

The only thing you will lose out on that you cant add to the Vulcan that the GW has is reverse.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
The only thing you will lose out on that you cant add to the Vulcan that the GW has is reverse.

Hey, don't laugh at that reverse! It's saved my butt at least once when I wasn't thinking and parked the bike nose downhill!
wink.gif

I generally agree with what you're saying, but I'd like to draw out one other often overlooked distinction: the Goldwing's wind management design is superb. I realize a Vulcan can be fitted with a screen or a fairing. But the Wing is designed to be aerodynamic from the very start. Honestly, it's a remarkably good design in that regard.

8,400 vs. 65,000? I'd take 8,400 any day. Just buy a new set of tires and be happy with what you've got.

If you're inclined to go with a Gold Wing, shop around for a later model with fewer miles. There are lots of good deals out there right now for just about any kind of bike you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back