Need some exhaust help..please look at pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
It's not a lot of work. Go pick up a couple of bolts with nuts and lock washers that fit the holes.

Drill out the studs. Replace with bolts. Problem solved.

+1

Go to any hardware store and find a bolt/washer that will fit it. Drill out what's in there and install the new bolt. Assuming you have a decent drill, repair will run you less than a dollar. That should hold until the rest of the exhaust is gone, which by the looks is pretty rusty.

Thanks again guys, +1 on the GM exhaust not Honda...engine and drivetrain are Honda though. Exhaust system looks rusty but is pretty solid other than that bolt dieing. Gonna call my mechanic in a few to see if he can take car of this...i probably need a coolant flush as well so kill 2 birds with 1 stone and let someone with the right tools do it correctly

Goose
34.gif

Those are indeed pressed, or on some models actually spotwelded in place. After being disturbed, you can bet the gasket is now damaged and will need replaced also.

Studs will both need replaced.Usually have to be heated near red with a torch. Since you have no tools or decent place to work, expect to take it to a shop and pay no more than 1 hr. labor, 10-15 bucks for a gasket and a couple more for bolts. At my shop I'd expect it to run approx $50.

best,

Bob

Yeah, that is what I figured..I can see a bit of the gasket and it looks pretty blah. I am dropping it off tomorrow to have that done and a coolant flush. Guy said over the phone he could probably do it but of course has to see it before he could give me any price

Hopefully your prediction of price is correct :)

Goose
34.gif

When I did mine, I used the sawzall wrench on both bolts, punched out the remainder (I used a punch, but another bolt of the appropriate size may work), and used bolts/nuts from my extensive nut/bolt files. I replaced the gasket as well.

On things I may screw up while doing the job, I buy a spare or two. I can maybe use them on the next changeover. Gaskets are one of those items.

Last edited:
For a temp fix until you can get it to the shop, you can try to c-clamp the flanges together. The rounded head on the front flange may allow the clamp to slip off though.
21.gif

Vise-Grip pliers perhaps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I would take it to a trusted independent mechanic who can put it on a lift, use his hammer and punch and maybe a torch then install a new bolt and nut..

Yup. In the wintertime, that's prolly what I'd do too. Goose, a good exhaust shop would would fix you up for cheap too. Other than that, that Vue looks nice and clean underneath. 140Kmi is about the point things will start to go south on the exhaust. Hopefully that double cat setup holds up for you. I know on the Honda Odysseys, they tend to start throwing the "Catalyst Inefficiency" codes fairly early.

Joel

Have you checked with the dealership? Isn't GM's emissions-related stuff covered for five years, no limits on mileage?

And JTK, I doubt the Odyssey beats my Yaris, I've been getting those codes constantly since about 6K.
06.gif

Easy fix!
First loosen the bolt by turning it with a 6 point socket.
Use an old skinny bolt or a screwdriver as a punch - whatever.
Might as well get the other side at this point.
Ace Hardware [or similar] will have new STAINLESS STEEL bolts/nuts/washers for you.
[Do one bolt at a time!]

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Have you checked with the dealership? Isn't GM's emissions-related stuff covered for five years, no limits on mileage?

+1 this may be covered by warranty...better hurry before GM files chapter 11....
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
My emissions warranty only covers the PCM and catalytic convertor... But I can see them changing that every year as the EPA requires...

My oldsmobile had no gasket at all in a flange like that, you would be suprised how a mediocre looking one can hold the smoke in. It's already deformed to your flanges.
LOL.gif

Thanks for all the help guys...mechanic put in some new bolts and what looks like an oversized gasket (I can see the edges of it)

Was changing the oil today and noticed that condensation is dripping from where the pipes join together.....is this normal?? Or do I have a bad seal now? Should I call him up and bring this up??

Thanks

Goose
34.gif

Unless gasket came from dealership it's probably some sort of universal (why you're seeing edges). If there's water drip, there's exhaust gas leak. That'll burn gasket out prematurely. Guy'd probably prefer to re-tighten now as redo later.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back