Need service manual for old 60s B&S motor

I need a link to a PDF for a service manual for a Briggs model 80292. It's on an old rototiller I was given for free, I believe I posted here about it previously trying to look for belts.

I am trying to diagnose a no-spark condition and need to see a diagram of how to get to the points and condenser (if it even has one) so I can try cleaning it.

The engine has fuel, air and plenty of compression but with two different spark plugs and a spark tester light I verified it has no spark.

I DID find ONE service manual but it doesn't have anything on the ignition system so that does me no good.

Last edited:
I need a link to a PDF for a service manual for a Briggs model 80292. It's on an old rototiller I was given for free, I believe I posted here about it previously trying to look for belts.

I am trying to diagnose a no-spark condition and need to see a diagram of how to get to the points and condenser (if it even has one) so I can try cleaning it.

The engine has fuel, air and plenty of compression but with two different spark plugs and a spark tester light I verified it has no spark.

I DID find ONE service manual but it doesn't have anything on the ignition system so that does me no good.

the points are fouled out. Shine up with some emery cloth and set the point gas to .019 or a very tight .020. You do not need to put the cover back on to test, just slap the flywheel on finger tight give it a test spin.

Do not waste money on the cheap chinese point, and quite frankly opinions will very, but i do not like using new old stock points either because the condensor is usually dried out and worthless. Most of the old brigs can be converted to a magnetron coil used in the 1990's era.

You can tell if it has points if it has two wires going to the connector on the side of the magneto, one of which goes under the flywheel. If the engine is old enough that it has a kill tab on the spark plug, then there will only be one wire going from the magneto to the points.
If it has points you are going to have to remove the flywheel, and you are going to need to purchase (or borough) a Starter Clutch Wrench to do it (it can be removed with a hand wrench but it will be impossible to torque it properly upon installation, see below)...
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/briggs-stratton/19244
When you get to the points & condenser, replace them, they are not expensive (points gap 0.020")...
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/universal/450007
Take a close look at the flywheel key, unless it is 100% intact, replace it.
Forget about sanding the flywheel. Do sand the top of the crankshaft that goes into the starter clutch and spread a drop of motor oil on it before installing the starter clutch. You need to torque the starter clutch to 55 ft/lbs (IMPORTANT, this is why you need the starter clutch wrench).

Last edited:
Never saw point, condenser on a small B&S. Spark and timing comes from the flywheel/pickup. Every one I worked on (not many) needed a new coil. These things are just too simple to require a service manual.

Never saw point, condenser on a small B&S. Spark and timing comes from the flywheel/pickup. Every one I worked on (not many) needed a new coil. These things are just too simple to require a service manual.
The points and condenser are under the flywheel under a silver cover cap. It's held down with (2) bolts with a 1/4" socket head. If you don't have a feeler gauge a matchbook cover will work (.020").

Every single Briggs ever made before 1980-something has points (and every other brand of engine). This has nothing whatsoever to do with timing.

Back