Need Rural Insurance Help

I am pursuing a property that has a structurally intact mobile home that can be renovated but lets be honest, the home is valueless. My main focus is the very large 60x100 pole barn that its in mint / new condition, and its replacement is about $150,000 for just the material.

Any options that you guys use to get the barn insured?

Attachments

• PropertySketch.jpg
    PropertySketch.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
Contents, structure, or liability?

I think if only liability, look at an umbrella policy and indicate that you have other properties.

For contents, what are you going to keep in there? May be cheaper to self insure.

For the structure, I don’t know what’s the deal on metal buildings.

I have two pole barns on a small farm 25 miles from my home. The barns are insured (umbrella'd) on my home owners insurance. I would discuss your options with your home owners agent.

Perhaps an appraisal is also in order. You don't want to under or over insure.

Last edited:
Your insurance agent likely knows exactly what needs to be done, to satisfy the requirements of the underwriters that will be involved. Call his/her secretary, and schedule a 15 minute phone call with your agent.

I actually have an insurance agent now, who is enjoyable to talk to.... and it isn't becuae he's just trying to get more money or more business out of you. The last agent had the personality rivaling that of a damp dish rag.

Last edited:
Insulation, doors, openers, windows, electrical, gutters, mezzanine, soffits, HVAC, interior trim, plumbing could all easily get you to $150k in materials depending on the height of the building.
OP talking about a pole barn. To me that's a simple structure with a dirt floor. None of those things except some lighting maybe.

OP talking about a pole barn. To me that's a simple structure with a dirt floor. None of those things except some lighting maybe.
Pole barns can have cement floors you know. I have one which does and finished living quarters. Pole barns come in all kinds of varieties.

Back