Need Router For New Fiber Internet Service

As mentioned earlier in another thread, our small mountain community is FINALLY getting fiber installed by our electric co-op. I will finally be able to get rid of our dreadful DSL. I just found out yesterday that homeowners will have to provide their own routers. I've read the threads that have discussed routers. My question is more from a performance standpoint vs. a specific router or brand although those recommendations would be appreciated.

Specifically, after looking at different routers from different companies, I see there are so many different specs that it confuses me. As mentioned numerous times before I am not a techie. What specs should I be looking for? The max I will be getting from the new fiber will be 100mbs. We have a very open floor plan in our cabin type home. Total livable area is 1937 sqft. I don't need the super duper gaming type routers I've seen but I want something that will work well now and allow for some growth tech wise in the future. Usage will primarily be streaming on two TVs and laptop use. I'll gladly pay for what I need but don't want to waste money on specs I don't need or will never use. Please ask questions if I have been unclear. TIA

are you interested in wi-fi 6? (AX) or are all your devices wifi 5 (AC)

What is your budget?

The max I will be getting from the new fiber will be 100mbs
Hehe, I was expecting an extra "0" on the end of that speed. Odds are your current router can handle this speed, presuming it's not 10+ years old. Never a bad idea to upgrade your router every ~5 years or so (for the average household) though. It's not for higher speed, WiFi coverage, etc either, it's for the additional load of more and more devices.

What is your current router ?

Some companies tout fiber and it goes only to a hub from which then it's a regular DSL to the house in which case your modem will do.
Ask the company if fiber comes right to your house in which case you MAY need a new modem to get the improved speed.

Hehe, I was expecting an extra "0" on the end of that speed. Odds are your current router can handle this speed, presuming it's not 10+ years old. Never a bad idea to upgrade your router every ~5 years or so (for the average household) though. It's not for higher speed, WiFi coverage, etc either, it's for the additional load of more and more devices.

I was about to mention this... Used to have just 2 laptops running on our wifi, wife's and mine. Seems like overnight we added our 2 phones, each of the (2) kids have their own computer plus a school-issued chromebook, the smart TV, 2 sump pumps, and my work computer. Oh, and I just remembered that the kids have their late grandmothers Ipad around here somewhere too. Ten years ago I would have never guessed we would have this much stuff connected to the internet.

are you interested in wi-fi 6? (AX) or are all your devices wifi 5 (AC)

What is your budget?
I have no idea what wifi 5 or wifi 6 is. That's pretty much why I started this thread. Thank you for bringing that up for discussion. Budget isn't a factor but don't wish to over spend on items or tech not needed.

I wish I could laugh with you but these last 5 1/2 years have been painful when it comes to our internet service and the company who tries to provide it. Our current router is part of the modem that is provided by the internet provider. Probably supplied the lowest cost provider they could find. They are so bad their own technicians despise them. Enough said.
I was about to mention this... Used to have just 2 laptops running on our wifi, wife's and mine. Seems like overnight we added our 2 phones, each of the (2) kids have their own computer plus a school-issued chromebook, the smart TV, 2 sump pumps, and my work computer. Oh, and I just remembered that the kids have their late grandmothers Ipad around here somewhere too. Ten years ago I would have never guessed we would have this much stuff connected to the internet.
Usage will pretty much stay constant with what was originally mentioned. Only exception would be the additional devices that might be used when my kids and grand kids come for a visit.

Usage will be as described above. The only change will be if the kids and grandkids come for a visit.

Any opinions on a "mesh" system. I'd never heard of such a thing. I've included 3 Amazon links for some of these. Two are by the same manufacturer and one is from a different one. If you could look at them, and their specs, and discuss any pros and cons it would help me better understand what I might need. Again, thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Any opinions on a "mesh" system. I'd never heard of such a thing.
Mesh systems are great for when you need more coverage. I have a 1800sq ft tri level house with the router in the “basement” under the stairwells and it covers the entire house and then some, even on the 5Ghz band (5Ghz has a harder time penetrating obstacles vs 2.4Ghz, but has significantly less interference). If needed, Asus makes it relatively painless to add mesh nodes.

I bought an Asus RT-AX58U last year to replace a net gear that had started giving me problems after less than a year of ownership. So far, the Asus hasn’t given me any problems and I highly recommend it. The interface is also very nice to use.

As for the specs, their all backwards compatible, so buying a router that supports AX (latest and greatest) means it will also supports the older A and B wifi standards. The RT-AX58U is also a dual band router, meaning it broadcasts both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz... I have mine set up with different names so I can easily differentiate them as some of my devices, like my Nest thermostat, don’t support the 5Ghz band. But you can also have them with the same name to appear as only 1 network and your devices will pick the appropriate band.

I wish I could laugh with you but these last 5 1/2 years have been painful when it comes to our internet service and the company who tries to provide it. Our current router is part of the modem that is provided by the internet provider.
I didn't mean to "laugh" at the speed. In fact, we only have 100 Mb/s ourselves though it's not fiber. In your case, it's being provided by your co-op so they're being prudent, plus you're probably seeing a 10x increase in speed.

As for your current router, in your case it doesn't matter as you'll no longer have it. I suspect for your scenario, "mesh" systems are overkill so don't worry there. Second, avoid budget or low-priced routers. That said, you don't need a $250+ router, one in the $100-150 range will be just fine. You could buy a $75-100 one but you mentioned wanting it to cover growth in the future. If you like the convenience of seeing the items or returning (not counting Amazon), you can choose from a few from Netgear or TP-Link for $100-140. Best Buy should have similar choices.

dont buy one until you have more info? Fiber from hub to a ont? (optical network terminal ) installed in your house then it will either be Cat 5 or (moca)out of ont to computer or coax out to router then running cat 5/6 to your devices to a wifi router you can piggy back router to spread your wifi signal depending how big house is property do you live in an apartment building etc. lots of variables if the speed is low router is cheaper to purchase, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If you're used to a phone company provided all in one box, anything will have better WiFi reach than that.

1000 Mb is ten times faster than 100 Mb. Many mid-line routers entirely suitable for 100 Mb will choke on 1000. Gigabit service requires a high end router with multi core ARM CPU. So buying something suitable for 1000 Mb naturally is going to cost more. You should hold off on that until you actually have 1000 Mb service, and then buy the latest generation router.

Last edited:
What router do you use now?
It's supplied by the DSL provider so he's going to lose it.
1000 Mb is ten times faster than 100 Mb ... You should hold off on that until you actually have 1000 Mb service, and then buy the latest generation router.
While it's fiber, it's only going to be 100Mb/s, not 1000Mb/s.
If your current device is a modem/router combo, you'll probably want to get a new modem, too.
He's going from DSL to fiber. A new "modem" will be part of the package.

Here are some terms. FTTH is fiber to the home. Typically done by phone companies. Cable companies seem to do FTTP which is fiber to the pole. ONT is a optical network terminal which goes from fiber to your normal ethernet network. PON - passive optical network. Again typically installed by phone companies. In a PON there are no electronics needing power from your house to a central office. And the CO has banks of batteries. So a UPS for your ONT and router will get you internet during a power failure (at least for awhile).

I would get a name brand dual band router/WIFI for $100 to $200. WIFI 6 and WIFI 6E are coming but not in all products yet. A mesh is good to extend the range but it is a store and forward for each packet. Better to have a good router/WIFI in central area of house with no mesh.

My son just bought this TP-Link AX1800 for his new house and it works great for his 400mbs. It is relatively inexpensive and has the latest WIFI 6 standard. $89.00

TP-Link AX1800

those are both wifi 6 and inexpensive.

I would consider mesh if your wifi is at an extreme end of the house and you need better coverage at the far end of the house.

if your internet source is fairly central in your home.. you can probably just use 1 router no need for mesh.

If buying mesh system and you are using wireless backhaul ie no ethernet cable to the other access point
buy a tri band system vs dual band.

if you need any of that explained better just ask I will explain or find a good link that explains it.

I will get the TPLink suggested. I heard they are good and economical.
I don't think you need ORBI for less than 2000 sq.ft. area.
I bet they will provide the modem or the gadget for the fiber lines coming into the house.

Another good brand is Asus.

Back