Need Router For New Fiber Internet Service

those are both wifi 6 and inexpensive.

I would consider mesh if your wifi is at an extreme end of the house and you need better coverage at the far end of the house.

if your internet source is fairly central in your home.. you can probably just use 1 router no need for mesh.

If buying mesh system and you are using wireless backhaul ie no ethernet cable to the other access point
buy a tri band system vs dual band.

if you need any of that explained better just ask I will explain or find a good link that explains it.
My Netgear RAX35 didn’t even make it to the 1 year mark where it started dropping/refusing connections and all other sorts annoying behaviors. The loaded latency on it due to buffer bloat was also a massive joke.

Here's your Huckleberry! I just got fiber and this is the one I snagged. It is super fast and long distance.

Xw29f1n.png

I didn't mean to "laugh" at the speed. In fact, we only have 100 Mb/s ourselves though it's not fiber. In your case, it's being provided by your co-op so they're being prudent, plus you're probably seeing a 10x increase in speed.

As for your current router, in your case it doesn't matter as you'll no longer have it. I suspect for your scenario, "mesh" systems are overkill so don't worry there. Second, avoid budget or low-priced routers. That said, you don't need a $250+ router, one in the $100-150 range will be just fine. You could buy a $75-100 one but you mentioned wanting it to cover growth in the future. If you like the convenience of seeing the items or returning (not counting Amazon), you can choose from a few from Netgear or TP-Link for $100-140. Best Buy should have similar choices.
Hall, I didn't take offense to your statement at all. My apologies if you took it that way. We're lucky to get ten of the sixteen mbs we pay for. It is truly sad.
dont buy one until you have more info? Fiber from hub to a ont? (optical network terminal ) installed in your house then it will either be Cat 5 or (moca)out of ont to computer or coax out to router then running cat 5/6 to your devices to a wifi router you can piggy back router to spread your wifi signal depending how big house is property do you live in an apartment building etc. lots of variables if the speed is low router is cheaper to purchase, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
As I understand from the engineer that I spoke with on Tuesday, they will bring it to my power meter location and terminate the fiber drop to a NID/ONT. The modem will be inside this interface, not inside the house. All of our homes have Cat 5 wiring.
Here are some terms. FTTH is fiber to the home. Typically done by phone companies. Cable companies seem to do FTTP which is fiber to the pole. ONT is a optical network terminal which goes from fiber to your normal ethernet network. PON - passive optical network. Again typically installed by phone companies. In a PON there are no electronics needing power from your house to a central office. And the CO has banks of batteries. So a UPS for your ONT and router will get you internet during a power failure (at least for awhile).

I would get a name brand dual band router/WIFI for $100 to $200. WIFI 6 and WIFI 6E are coming but not in all products yet. A mesh is good to extend the range but it is a store and forward for each packet. Better to have a good router/WIFI in central area of house with no mesh.
Great info. That's what I was hoping for.
My son just bought this TP-Link AX1800 for his new house and it works great for his 400mbs. It is relatively inexpensive and has the latest WIFI 6 standard. $89.00

TP-Link AX1800
Thank you. I will definitely check this one out.

With FIOS the ONT is outside next to meter but a wire for low voltage goes to the inside of your house and they use a small power supply inside that is plugged into a 110V outlet. At my NY house with Consolidated Communications as ISP the ONT is inside the house, but looking at the enclosure for the ONT it could be mounted inside or outside.

With FIOS and older ONT they pushed the ethernet out over coax. You needed a router/WIFI that had a coax for WAN. So people typically use a Verizon router/WIFI (you could purchase one). I think with the newer FIOS ONT they have both coax and a RJ45.

With my Consolidated Communications ONT they have only a RJ45.

Motorola AC2600
Model MR2600

Lenovo product, priced right, great range, will handle whatever you throw at it.
We have 28 wifi devices in our 3000 sq ft home, at any given time 18 are active. I do have it centrally located on the main level.
We have over 200 Mbps service in our home and get that speed anyplace in the house.
It’s been as rock solid as my past TP link archer C7 Ac 1750, also a good device with a more robust GUI and I do like that brand as well, the Motorola does have an edge with range if you need it. I replaced the TP link simply because it was around 4 years old and was looking for power over all else when I purchased the Motorola.
Can be bought for $100 online in any number of stores. Amazon, Best Buy, BH ...

Last edited:
Motorola AC2600
Model MR2600

Lenovo product, priced right, great range, will handle whatever you throw at it.
We have 28 wifi devices in our 3000 sq ft home, at any given time 18 are active. I do have it centrally located on the main level.
We have over 200 Mbps service in our home and get that speed anyplace in the house.
It’s been as rock solid as my past TP link archer C7 Ac 1750, also a good device with a more robust GUI and I do like that brand as well, the Motorola does have an edge with range if you need it. I replaced the TP link simply because it was around 4 years old and was looking for power over all else when I purchased the Motorola.
Can be bought for $100 online in any number of stores. Amazon, Best Buy, BH ...
Thanks for the info.

100Mbps is really something that anything out there will be able to handle, as long as it is released in the last 5 years. I think these days any AC (wifi5) or AX (wifi6) would be way sufficient.

These days most newish router on the newish spec are pretty good, buy based on feature (i.e. mesh, wifi6 / AX, how many ports, how fast is the ethernet, how many bands, etc etc).

I upgraded mine after work from home because my old router (WRT160N) was not able to handle above 5mbps upstream and keep dropping my call. It was a good 10 year run though so I can't complain. The replacement is just a $40 TP Link on sale, it was good enough and come with 2 USB port for network drive and printer sharing too.

Now if you need absolutely the lowest latency for gaming, then buy the most expensive one out there (like the Nighthawk).

Back