Need respirator mask to spray fluid film / woolwax

I use this 3M 6001 based mask that has the active charocal so vapor is neutralized however I can still smell the fluid film and am still allergic. Is there a better mask like a p100 or something else?

That should be good, two questions: Do you have facial hair? Does it fit properly? Facial hair all bets are off for getting a proper fit. Even w/o facial hair its efficiency will suffer if it doesn't fit properly. There are videos floating around which will show you how to test for a proper fit.

I use this 3M 6001 based mask that has the active charocal so vapor is neutralized however I can still smell the fluid film and am still allergic. Is there a better mask like a p100 or something else?
These product are oil based with some sort of acid content and you need a P100 mask cartridge, a 6002 or 6006 would be my choice.

I do properly shave and test the mask for proper fit. My issue is the ultra fine particles that go thru the mask cause asthma to flare up for the next few weeks after spaying it.

So a P100 can stop vapor? I never knew that........

Yes it will stop oil aerosols and vapor but needs an additional layer for the other compounds like acid. The filters are time and use limited as they get saturated, they should be good for a couple of cars (with your issue, mine also) but after that throw them out.
The best way to choose a filter is look at the product being used SDS and check 3M website for the correct cartridge.
Ask your doctor about Dupixant to see if that may be helpful for you, it has been my life saver after years of suffering and almost dying twice from extreme asthma.

I use 3M 60923 cartridges. 60921 would probably work fine as well for that purpose. When used for spray painting and solvent work I have zero odor breakthrough. They are P100 with the charcoal filter.

I emailed 3m with FF SDS and they replied with the following information. Hope this helps future thread diggers:

Thank you for contacting 3M Personal Safety Division regarding respiratory protection utilizing your 3M 7500 series reusable respirator. Suggest the #6001 organic vapor cartridge, #5P71 P95 pre-filter, and a pair of #501 retainers based on the information you provided.

Back