Need recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a used Toyota Landcruiser (99) with 58K miles. I changed all fluids and had the timing belt changed and the water pump along with all new hoses and belts. Also changed the thermostat and the rad. cap. Cooling system was flushed and filled with Toyota compatible Prestone 5 year 150K mile antifreeze. After an intial 1K mile run-in all new hoses were checked and some fluid had to be added (not much) to bring it to the full line and it has stayed at that level for the last 2K miles so everything seems to be OK. How long would you guys recommend running this new antifreeze before another flush and fill?

You're good for at least two years. Just check the cold coolant level in the radiator frequently for this unlicensed DEX-COOL clone, and keep the overflow bottle from draining dry. (Prestone DEX-COOL in the silver-gray jug is chemically identical, but dyed orange and priced higher to account for the license fee paid to GM for the use of the "DEX-COOL" name.) Three years is probably very reasonable with this chemistry. Not sure I'd run any coolant more than three years, though. Reason? Just 'cuz antifreeze is too cheap to take unnecessary risks with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back