Need recommendation for my next oil change on 2004 Lexus LS430 with 119K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Lexus LS430 with 119K miles. Factory oil spec is Dyno 5W30 in 5K miles.

Current oil is Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30, changed at 115K with Fram Ultra 3600 large filter back in Nov 2018.
Most of the mileage has been short trips. Probably 90/10 local/highway.
I made sure I took it to freeway for 30 mins drive at least once a month.

Now I have started taking it out daily so that I can have my next oil change. Haha. Usually I don't go over a year but this has been the longest 16 months.

For next oil change I don't to go out and buy anything new. This is what I have.
SuperTech ST3600 3" Spin-on Oil Filter. (It has 6 holes and is white so I believe it is made by Wix?)

Oil choices...
1. G Oil Full Synthetic 5W30
2. Vavoline NextGen 5W30 Dyno
3. Quaker State 5W-30 Dyno
4. Shell Rotella Synthetic Blend T5 10W-30

What oil do you recommend?
Should I leave the Fram Ultra in there or replace with ST3600? (I have always changed the filter in past)
Change now or change at 120K? (Wait for another 1K)

I am planning to put about 500 miles a month going forward. That should make next oil change in about 1--12 months.

Last edited:
Which oil have you had the longest? I would use the oldest oil first
smile.gif

Vavoline NextGen 5W30 Dyno is the oldest. Then G Oil, then Quaker State, and then Shell Rotella.

I kept buying Full Synthetics with rebates and these oils never got their chance.
That reminds me, I just got Pennzoil Platinum® High Mileage™ Full Synthetic 5W-30 as well. So that is also an option. I just don't want to pair it with SuperTech Filter. Will save it for the day when engine might start consuming oil.

My vote would be leave the Fram Ultra on for another interval and go with the oldest oil, the Nextgen. Take a break from buying new oil until you can use all the old stuff up. There will always be another sale or rebate and if not, supertech synthetic is cheap enough.

The 4.3L engines on the Lexus are exceptional engines. I used Castrol Full Syn and it does not burn a drop of oil.

OIlOfindia

I was thinking of getting a LS430 for my next car. Was thinking a Muscle car but I could get a lexus and have EVERYTHING.

RWD, Power and comfort and quiet.

Any issues to watch out for? and When is the engine timing belt due top be changed?

And the LEXUS are CHEAPER than junky muscle cars.

I would not put the Nextgen in there - that was garbage recycled oil, IIRC.

I didn't like T5 in anything I used it in - even the old Tecumseh in the snow blower didn't like it.

I would buy something else, like Valvoline Advanced or Castrol Edge 5W30 synthetic

For that nice engine the synthetic 5w 30. Those cars were made to a precision standard probably unequaled in the world IMO. They don't say synthetic required but it was available when it was new. That's the old ST Wix most basic model filter as you probably know.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Which oil have you had the longest? I would use the oldest oil first
smile.gif

I agree with slacktide. They are all good oils.

My only suggestion is to remove your current oil filter and replace it with a Toyota OEM from dealer (around $5 with washer).
I change all my auto oils every 6 months or 3K so you may consider me a looney tune.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
OIlOfindia

I was thinking of getting a LS430 for my next car. Was thinking a Muscle car but I could get a lexus and have EVERYTHING.

Any issues to watch out for? and When is the engine timing belt due top be changed?

I didn't like T5 in anything I used it in - even the old Tecumseh in the snow blower didn't like it.

I would buy something else, like Valvoline Advanced or Castrol Edge 5W30 synthetic

They will last 300k miles no problems. The suspension is on the weak side.

Timing belt can be done around 120 - 150k miles depending on You.

They are 300 hp engine.

OIlOfindia

Yes, there are issues to watch for, just like any used car, but nothing powertrain related.

Mirrors may not tilt - cleaning electronic controller usually fixes problem.
Mirror may not fold - This may require mirror replacement or just not use folding functionality
Door lock motors may go back. Direct replacement is for whole actuator ($900-$1200 at the dealer) only but you can DIY with a $4 motor and 2 hours per door
Trunk and hood struts usually go bad but cheap ($20 or so) to replace DIY.
Lower control arm bushings will need to be replaced Around 100K or so. $60 each plus labor.
O2 sensors will go bad at some time. They can be DIY under $50 each.
Eats batteries for many but not everyone. AGM can help.
Lexus paint is soft. Hood shape invites rock chips.
Subwoofer will probably need to be re-foamed.
Mark Levinson amp (if on car) can go back and it is expensive.
Starter life is good but if it goes will will be expensive at dealer as it is under intake manifold.
Telescoping steering wheel will most probably have problems but again you can choose to not use telescoping functionality.
Air struts, if equipped (UL model), will fail and will be expensive. There is an option to convert it to coil-overs.

All in all very reliable and I DIY friendly. Although long list, it doesn't translate to lot of money if you DIY. I would not recommend it to anyone who takes it to Lexus dealer. To an indy, maybe.

As far as my oil decision, I am not going to buy new, It has to be something I already have otherwise I don't know what to do with it. I can change it earlier if that is warranted.

Originally Posted by czbrian
My vote would be leave the Fram Ultra on for another interval and go with the oldest oil, the Nextgen. Take a break from buying new oil until you can use all the old stuff up. There will always be another sale or rebate and if not, supertech synthetic is cheap enough.

Thanks.

How do you like your 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV? I took test drive in GT couple of times and liked it for what it is.

OIlOfindia

I was thinking of getting a LS430 for my next car. ... and When is the engine timing belt due top be changed?

Timing belt change is 90K miles or 9 years. I changed it at 113K miles and 14 years. It still looked pretty good but water pump had started leaking so did it along with it.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
For that nice engine the synthetic 5w 30. Those cars were made to a precision standard probably unequaled in the world IMO. They don't say synthetic required but it was available when it was new. That's the old ST Wix most basic model filter as you probably know.

Yeah, that is what I thought for years and is how I am still holding on to all this non-syn oil. lol
I checked my oil change records and I always put full synthetic oil in it.

Yes, That's the old ST Wix most basic model filter.

I am thinking I should use what I have and maybe change more often if there is concern about quality of the oil.

Last edited:
Mines a GT and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the 360 degree camera view, rain sensing wipers and the infotainment system/apple carplay is simple to use. It does the job well for my daily commute and weekend errands. My only complaint is that the handling is terrible and makes our Pilot feel sporty. It's just not a great highway cruiser like the Pilot.

Originally Posted by czbrian
Mines a GT and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the 360 degree camera view, rain sensing wipers and the infotainment system/apple carplay is simple to use. It does the job well for my daily commute and weekend errands. My only complaint is that the handling is terrible and makes our Pilot feel sporty. It's just not a great highway cruiser like the Pilot.

Yeah, I thought so about the handling too but my expectations were not high from it plus I was looking at it for mostly local 45 mph road. Handling wouldn't have mattered. One more thing bugged me was the seat heater setting. Either on or off, nothing in between.

As mentioned previously multiple times -- use the oldest oil first. Make sure to shake the jug really good before pouring. I would have no problem using that Wix made Super Tech oil filter for a 5000 mile interval paired with your next oil change. I ALWAYS use Fram Ultras for my own vehicles in signature. Usually run them out to 15 -- 20 thousand miles with multiple uses and zero issues. Run a bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner per instructions on bottle also.

Thanks! I checked the records and both G Oil and NextGen are oldest. I am planning to use G Oil at 120K and leave the filter in for another 5K miles.

Based on the specs on the back of the bottle, is this T5 compatible with Gasoline engines? Specifically Lexus LS430?

[Linked Image]

If you Love Her I'd recommend Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 and a Amsoil Oil Filter for 10K mile interval or one year . I use this combo in my 2010 Avalon with great success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back