Need Quiet Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love some recomendations for some quiet riding tires for my 2000 Intrepid. Came with Goodyear - fairly quiet,repaced with Yokohama - recommended to be quiet but definetly not quiet. Replaced with Duralon - worst ever. Any help appreciated.

I just had a set of Yokohama yk420s put on my wifes Avalon this morning. They seem smoother and more quiet than both the bridgestones and the michelins that preceeded. I hear the Kumho 716s are pretty nice also...

About those Kumhos: I've had a set of the H-rated Kumho Ecsta 716's on my Neon for some time now, & IMO, they're OK, but nothing to write home about, whether for performance/cornering or noise. On super-smooth pavement they're fairly quiet, on average pavement kinda noisy. If a quiet ride is important, probably not one of your best choices.

I like the Continental CH95 for a good all around tire. They are very comfortable and very quiet. Germany has some of the strictest vehicle noise standards on the planet, including for tire noise.

For years these have been factory OE tires on many Mercedes models, yet this tire generally sells at bargain prices compared to other touring radials. I bought from www.tirerack.com.

John

Personally I think Yokohama Avid Touring, REALLY quiet tires 80K mileage on the tires. I have had the Michelin MXV4 and they werent as quiet as these.

I like the Kumho HP4 716's. For the price I don't think I could have possibly done better.

How pleased you are has alot to do with what you're coming from and what you're expecting.

I have a set of Yokohama Avid Touring tires on my wife's subaru and they are the best tires for the money I have ever bought. They ride a little harsher than the michelin symetries we had before, but they are quiet and handle well. I have read that they are good in the snow (I don't believe that for a second) but I run blizzaks in the winter.

Had Goodyear TAs from the factory and did not notice any noise. They got to the point they would not balance any longer even though 30 or 35% of the tread was left.

Bought some Continental ContiTouring CH95s and the cabin was noticeably quieter.

I continue to run Michelin MXV4's on my Volvo for that one reason. I spend a lot of time on the highway and wanted a quiet and smooth tire.

I have Yoko Avid Touring on my Montana Van (nice upgrade over the Uniroyal nail guard) and I recently put BFG Traction TAs on my Regal. Love the TAs! but the Yoko's are good too for road noise.

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
I like the Continental CH95 for a good all around tire.

cool.gif
I had thought of that before I even got to jth's post. Honest. My dad had two sets on his previous car and you never heard them. Good in rain and snow too even, and not all that pricey.

I've got 27K miles on a set of the CH95's on my Maxima right now. I agree they are nice and quiet when new. For the money, a VERY good value too. But they seem to be getting more noisy as the tread wears. Down to 6 or 7/32 now. I'm wondering if a little higher dollar tire next time...Turanza LS-H, maybe the new Goodyear Assurance ComforTred, or even the Continental ContiExtremeContact might provide an even smoother & more quiet ride. The older I get, the more I value a smooth, quiet ride.
smile.gif

I was interested in buying a set of Kuhmo 716's but you guys talking about how quiet the Avid tourings are has got me interested in them.

Both are pretty close in price but I am looking for the most quiet riding of the 2.Any opinions on which would be the overall better buy?

These will be on a 99 Corolla.

Adding on, our family has bought 3 sets of of Yokohama Avid Touring, since they made a dramatic change on road noise on my camry. Now we have a set of the Van and the old merceded 300 sel.

visa tires vs 602 (made by falken) are extremely quiet, handling isn't great (not bad by any means), but it is good overall. for an h rated tire, that's an excellent reccomendation.

kumho hp4 716 aren't quiet, good handling, but they aren't too loud. i went from using the visas for less than 5k to the kumho, so it was easy to see which tire was quieter out of the box. kumho sidewalls are a bit soft though, so if you like stiffer/more controlled steering then it's not the tire for you.

you get what you pay for.

tires come with a compound on them to make it easier for the tire to come off the mold. this needs to be worn away for the full potential of the tire to be realized. at least that's what i'm told.

DON'T get bridgestone turanzas, i've got the ls-v and they are really noisy.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Punt:
Would love some recomendations for some quiet riding tires for my 2000 Intrepid. Came with Goodyear - fairly quiet,repaced with Yokohama - recommended to be quiet but definetly not quiet. Replaced with Duralon - worst ever. Any help appreciated.

Yokohama Tourings are not quiet? They have been quiet on every car I have run them on.

Gene

i'm just going to skip the $500+ v rated tires that i usually get for some $50/tire kumho's.

the kumho's that fit my other car are $40/tire. seems like a great deal.

[ July 08, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back