Need photo software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally replaced my 9+ year old XP machine with a new Dell 8.1 All-in-One. I have many pictures that I would like to open and my new computer didn't come with that software
I don't need anything fancy but, want to look at them and download new ones from a smart phone or my small digital camera. Are there any free or less expensive ones available? My old comp had MS Picture it. Thank you. Ed

You should be able to open pretty much any picture with the built in windows software. If it is windows 8, right click on the picture,hover over "open with", click choose default program, and click windows photo viewer, and click ok. The built in Windows photo viewer can open pretty much any type of photo.

Last edited:
A program I use very often is Irfanview It's a nice little photo tool. I think of it as a "Swiss Army Knife" for photos. You can change the file type, resize the photo, crop, sharpen, adjust color, apply basic effects, etc. Funny name, good program.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I use the free program called "The Gimp"

Link To "The Gimp" web site.

Powerful program for not only viewing but working with pictures too.

When I first got into using open-source software, one of the first big challenges was trying to use The GIMP in place of Photoshop. I was trying to create an alpha channel mask around an image and could not for the life of me figure out what to do; so, hilariously in retrospect, I Google'd "gimp mask"... Not for the faint of heart!

GIMP is pretty cool; but mightbe a little much for simple image viewing: OP, I'd bet my boots that by simply double-clicking an image from within Windows' standard file manager an appropriate application, bundled with Windows, will open and view it for you.

As Nick wrote, Windows does have a built-in photo viewer, I wonder why the OP has trouble viewing them.

But I second IrfanView. It is light on resources, a competent viewer, and decent editor for the simple tasks I do.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Faststone Image Viewer if u want something free and simple.

I'm a long time user of Irfanview, but I was intrigued with Faststone. So I loaded it on my computer and I don't often load new programs on my computer. I'm impressed. The file management in Faststone is slick and the editing capabilities are decent, also with a good interface. I'm going to give it a try. You may have converted me.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Faststone is exactly what I need. Thank you Rick.. Ed

Thank Quattro Pete, he brought it to our attention.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back