Need opinions on a used car for my son PART 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all your feedback on the Subaru and Chrysler.

With all of the expertise on this site, what would be your recommendations for a dependable used car in the 5K or less. Also what should I look out for.

A used Toyota Corolla would be a perfect choice. They are very dependable, easy to work on, and affordable.

Another choice would be a Honda Civic, however, they tend to be a little more expensive than the Corolla.

2007 or Newer Kia Rio. You can get a decent low mileage one for that price. Toyota's are good, but a $5k Toyota will have lots of miles and be older generally. Some here may not agree, but I'd rather have a 50k mile Rio instead of a 150k mile corolla. Just my opinion of course! Good luck shopping.

You can add a Mazda3 to the list. Nearly as reliable as a Civic or Corolla while costing less. The older Mazda3's have a much better interior than any Civic or Corolla. The Mazda3 has better brakes and better handling which gives it a safety reserve the Civic and Corolla cant match if say your son hits a cloverleaf too fast.
Also, I notice your from New England. I imagine insuring a Civic for your son will cost more than a Mazda3 or Corolla.

I suggest an older high mile but well cared for Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. The larger 4 door family cars in a manufactures lineup like Accord or Camry may cost a little more to buy but can be less expensive to run and insure overall and are typically much safer in an acccident. Also the 4 door family sedans are not "sporty". Last thing a new driver needs for insurance and safety purposes is a small "sporty" car.

Last edited:
If he can drive stick, there's always the Focus with the Zetec and 5 speed. Will run a good while and there's tons of them out there.

You probably couldn't go wrong with a relatively recent Sonata or the Kia equivalent.

If you can find a non-rusty one, the Altima would work.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
If he can drive stick, there's always the Focus with the Zetec and 5 speed. Will run a good while and there's tons of them out there.

He should learn, as it provides a better understanding of the physics of mobility. Very important for making capable drivers. Plus, fewer folks will want to borrow the car.

Plus, anything toyota or Honda will be a poor value, since it will be way overpriced for the life and service you'll have to amortize over ownership. The domestic options will be better values and likely more corrosion resistant too.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
A used Toyota Corolla would be a perfect choice. They are very dependable, easy to work on, and affordable.

Another choice would be a Honda Civic, however, they tend to be a little more expensive than the Corolla.

This.

Corolla/Civic without a doubt, even if it's high in miles it's likely going to be more dependable than a domestic counterpart, just my experience anyways.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Corolla/Civic without a doubt, even if it's high in miles it's likely going to be more dependable than a domestic counterpart, just my experience anyways.

I'm bias so I will say Corolla and Civic.

You can find clean, adult owned cars on CL if you take the time.

Any GM with a 3.8 motor. They go for cheap, elderly people love them and you find them all over the place with less then 100k miles for $3000.

You could buy a Toyota or honda also (both make good cars) but for your price range it will be high miles and probably had more then a few neglectful owners in its past. Theses are what I call teen cars and normally have high wear little maintiance and typically only get sold when the teenager can't afford to keep it running.

I would say look for typically elderly vehicles, Cadillacs, Lincolns, Buicks.

Got my Buick back 3-4 months ago 91k miles full mainance history and the lady who sold it apparently really like expinsive tires because the car is sitting on a $600 pair of brand new Goodyear's.

The car is in near flawless contention and the inside was spotless. Paid $2600 (a little higher then Nada and kbb) but you know when a cars been well cared for.

Not only that I saved $1400 so down the road I have $1400 for potential repairs.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: hypervish

I'm bias so I will say Corolla and Civic.

You can find clean, adult owned cars on CL if you take the time.

+100. Definitely Corolla/Civic. For "under 5k" you can even find a really good Camry. I don't feel there is any need for me to address maintenance history or how it was cared for...you're on BITOG, so you likely know that trumps all. That being said, with the internet and availability of Craigslist, etc, there is no need to settle for anything else...when reliability and cost of ownership is your biggest concern...which it sounds like it is from your previous posts....you can find one of these ultra-reliable vehicles with just a little searching.
Now, if your son only drives 10k/year, then I agree with most of the replies if condition is good and miles are low.

Latest model GM you can get with the 3800. Buick/Pontiac/Chevy... reliable, very cheap parts, bigger than civics/corollas/kias.

Ford Fusion, Buick Lesabre, maybe a Focus or Neon.

Though my Neon is almost as much to insure for liability as my saturn s-series and firebird combined.

Cars that get driven a bunch command higher insurance rates, it seems, and when you include the multiplier for teenagers it goes nuts. A car from the 1990s, if still on the road, gets driven infequently and insurance actuaries know this and set rates accordingly.

I dare say, beat out of your insurer what the cheapest cars are. If a cutlass ciera is $700 a year while a newer civic is $3000, get the ciera. Repairs are just nuts and bolts, and they build character, especially if the kid does some himself.

Plus you don't want him being overconfident and driving off to Lollapalloozza over spring break.

A 2007-2008 focus with the duratec engine.. try to get one with full anti-lock brakes.

They are fun and peppy but not sporty.

Last edited:
How about an older Miata? There are a lot of them around in very good condition, they get good mileage, they are fairly reliable, and your son might actually like one!

I fall more on the side of a car that is well maintained will be a good deal. I have had several Chrysler/Dodge cars that have gone over 200,000 miles with routine maintainence. My folks (Dad is 84) have a Buick LeSabre with the 3800, has 260,000 miles, runs like new. As mentioned in other posts, parts are cheap and easily available for most domestics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back