Need Opinion On Medical Alert Device Mom Can Wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my brothers want to get my elderly Mom a medical alert button that she can wear around her neck..
A neighbor that lives nearby mentioned one that she can get for $49.00 at wal mart and $14.00 per month monitoring with a one time fee of $35.00 for activation.
It is called 5 star- Great Call Splash Does Anyone Know Anything About This Emergency Call System?
The price seems to be good but any other information would be great she is in good health but you never know she is over 80
Im pretty sure it works with G.P.S.

They have one on TV from Phillips (I think) that can sense a fall and call for help without pushing a button.

I would look on AARP website, I will bet they have reviewed them.

Before you rush out and buy hardware, make sure your Mom will wear it. My Mother made the right noises about wearing it, but then decided to pick and choose when she was "in danger" - as if accidents were predictable
spankme2.gif

i like the price and features with the one i mentioned but i know ver little about these things.
Everyone seems to say the ones that predict a fall gives a lot of false alarms but again i don't know. I want something reliable that works everywhere possible at a decent price. Her alarm company has one that costs about 5x what this costs and also does not detect falls because of false alarms. She will wear it..

The nice thing about the 5-Star service is the fact she/he can be about anywhere (Verizon provides the service) and still be able to get help. Some of the other services are only available within XX amount of feet of the base station (presumably the house).

I am getting one for my dad (age 82) and he is afraid of technology (i.e. won't own a cell phone or computer), but likes the idea of still being mobile and, if something happens, being able to get help.

My grandpa has one, don't know which kind.

He fell one night, didn't push the button and instead crawled across the house to get to the phone and call his gf to come over first SO THE RESCUE SQUAD DIDNT BREAK HIS DOOR!! They still had to call them to get him off the floor.

The moral of the story is to get an over the door Knox box as well, through your local FD or PD. It's expensive, but it's the service you pay for.

She lives by herself. about two hours away she is in good health and does not even take a pill except a baby aspirin and a low dose sugar pill. I also have a combination push button lock box on her door just in case. She lives in a good neighborhood in a gated community with security.

Originally Posted By: splinter
The current issue of Consumer Reports has an excellent summary of service, fees, etc. for these various devices.

try this, local library has the consumer reports free to read

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I also have a combination push button lock box on her door just in case.

First responders don't know that combination, but should be familiar with the Knox Box system as its usually required by code for commercial and larger residential buildings.

The box is cheaper than calling a contractor after hours to repair a door that has been forced open, and is one less thing to worry about for you and her.

I got one of the 5 Star devices for my mom. I think it was about $30 for the unit and $14 a month for monitoring. It's about the size of a car remote fob and can be worn around the neck or clipped onto a piece of clothing. It works similarly to a cell phone (except you can't make calls on it of course) and has GPS tracking. If the user presses the button a live operator comes on and asks if they need 911 emergency service. The call center also will immediately notify a list of friends/family members via cell phone that the person had activated the device.
The thing I liked was when setting it up I was having some problems and called the Call Center. They are right in Carlsbad, CA and staffed by English speaking Americans. They are somehow affiliated with Qualcomm. They were very helpful, we got it activated and tested without much trouble and it gives myself and mom a lot of peace of mind. It lasts about 4-5 days on a charge but I have my mom in the habit of charging every other day to be on the safe side. If she trips and falls out in the parking lot or out shopping for example, she only has to hit the button and they will dispatch help to her location and she can speak to the operator while waiting.

Last edited:
i know but when i get the call i can give them the combo.. If they have to break down the door it can be fixed she is more important anyway. On the other hand i dont remember her locking her door too often.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Does your Mom live by herself? If so, either you or your brothers need to check on her EVERY DAY !

^ This. After dad passed three years ago, mom has had a much tougher go of things.

My two sisters and I live (separately!) within ~10 minutes of her and visit frequently.
I’ve senior-proofed her home by installing ADA assist bars, automatic motion sensing interior/exterior lighting, and eliminating obvious slip and fall hazards.
She has licensed/bonded/insured caregivers alternating a.m. and p.m. shifts ‘keeping her company’ various days of each week, too.

She gets along okay with friends and hobbies, but I still worry about her.
Upside is we celebrate her 85th birthday come Sunday.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back