Need oil recommendation please

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has an '01 Pontiac Aztek with 105k miles. She has been getting her oil changed at whatever place she could find a coupon for.

Since I have purchased a new truck, and am back to doing my own OC's again.....she's wondering why I don't change hers?

So, I could use some advice as to what oil to use. I took off the oil filler cap and looked into the rocker cover with a flashlight....it's pretty dirty in there. I'm thinking something with a good detergent maybe? Any advantage to going with a "high mileage" oil?

I picked up a few wix filters too.

Thanks!

yeah...I just read about that deal going on @ Wally world.....good time to stock up I guess. Both our vehicles require 5w-30...so keeping just one oil on hand would be easier too.

$1 for Penzoil Platnum? Really? I might have to drive to town and pick some up at that price!

For the Pontiac if would likely be fine with any 5W30 off the shelf changed regularly. Any of the name brands are good, my personal choices would be Castrol or Penzoil. Even that $1 a quart Platnum would do in a pinch. :)

Whatever will survive anti-freeze contamination the best.

10W-30 HDEO would be a good place to start....

The price actually is $20 5-qt jug with mail in rebate for $15 WM gift car. Many WM stores have rebate form on the jugs and many other stores do not have any rebate forms.

To OP, if the engine is pretty dirty then you should try to add a pint MMO now and run about 1k miles before do an oil change on that Aztek with 10W-30 HDEO with 1 pint MMO for a short OCI, about 3-4k miles, to clean out all the junks in the engine.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Whatever will survive anti-freeze contamination the best.

10W-30 HDEO would be a good place to start....

Good point. What engine does the Pontiac have? Some of the V6's were prone to leak water into the engine from the intake manifold.

It has a 3.4l engine. As of yet...there is no coolant leaking into the motor. There is however, a small outward leak from the lower intake gasket. I need to order the gasket kit and get it changed soon.

My local Wally World does not have the rebate offer on Pennzoil
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back