Need Moly basic training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just learning here...
I found out there are different forms of molybdenum linked together on the nuclear level that is used for friction modifiers. This info is slanted to the trinuclear form but the other forms that are used by other oil manufacturers. Like some info, like what oil manufacturers use what and plus or minus for each.

http://elit-oil.io.ua/files/0001/21/00012167.pdf

Really interested thanks...

Trinuclear is more common with XOM and Shell because Infinium, which they co-own, produces it. It's a more effective form of Moly, which means you need less of it to achieve the same effect.

One has 2 sulfur and the other has 3 sulfur atoms. Basically the paper out there suggest 75ppm tri = 200ppm di. The coefficient keeps dropping somewhere around 700ppm di, I haven't seen the paper on the equivalent on what PPM tri = that sweet spot of 700 di. But you can likely make some assumptions that would likely hold true. Then reported benefits from 75ppm tri to 700ppm di, are marginal, but there. Not sure of the application, but I wouldn't be going over 1,000 ppm moly unless we are talking a race car.

I see a lot of quality oil with 80 ppm and my guess is that is trinuclear. Then some other oils that advertise the moly that is 650 ppm and a batch of Toyota Synthetic that was 787 ppm. But from the paper all you really need is that 80 ppm of the trinuclear. Also it works well with a ZDDP in the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back